boost gauge - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-25-2007, 11:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

yang259 is an unknown
boost gauge

i think i need some gauges for my car since cobb ap only reads up to 18.4 psi...i was planning on getting some gauge but dont kno where to start...what kind of gauge should I get...and which gauges should i get (boost, oil pressure, egt,...etc) ...any helps...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-25-2007, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You have a boost gauge already on your STI, right ? I believe what everyone says to get is oil pressure, oil temp and boost to start with. Are you wanting to get rid of the column boost guage you have ?
#3 Old 12-25-2007, 12:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Novtec1 is more helpful than not
boost, EGT, oil temp.... egt is just a good gaugeto have, and when tuning time comes helps a lot.

07 UGM STI
07 WRB FORESTER XT <--WIFES
03 SY WRX <--THE DD
#4 Old 12-25-2007, 01:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

yang259 is an unknown
### is the best brand of gauge...i was thinking HKS, Greddy, and Apexi...
#5 Old 12-25-2007, 02:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
Defi.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#6 Old 12-25-2007, 06:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
+1 Defi gauges are awesome, but expensive

Prosport gauges are also pretty good and less expensive - I'm thinking about getting these for my car

as far as what to get... boost, oil pressure, and exhaust gas temperature seem to be the most popular three to start out with

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#7 Old 12-25-2007, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

gray is an unknown
I was going to get boost, egt on my 02 and was told by the shop by my house it would be $600.00 for the gauges bezel & instal is that high
#8 Old 12-25-2007, 07:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Install them yourself it would be cheaper. I would recommend boost, oil pressure, and Quartz clock. I use Autometer, but everyone has there own personal choice.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#9 Old 12-25-2007, 08:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
Prosports ftw! I am going with boost, air/fuel wideband, and egt.
#10 Old 12-26-2007, 08:40 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
+1 to wrxman420. Thats what I will be going with also once I get the chance.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#11 Old 12-26-2007, 10:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 2006WRXTR Send a message via Yahoo to 2006WRXTR
I have Prosport boost and EGT. I installed both myself. Easy to do. I think I have a pic in my gallery of them. I used Autometer single gauge pods and attached them to my a-pillar. I just liked this look better then the a-pillar gauge pod.

My boost sender was out of wack a few days after installing, but Prosport customer service was awesome; they quickly sent me another one. I have had no problems ever since.

I plan on getting a wdieband O2 with gauge [innovate] and a Prosport oil pressure and oil temperature gauges soon as well. Very happy with Prosport.

Rich
Latest: Meth Injection, Open Source
#12 Old 12-26-2007, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

TDub is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to TDub Send a message via MSN to TDub
I like ProSport.. I just got a boost/egt gauge for Christmas (thanks to my loving g/f). I have the boost gauge in already and it works great.

As to answer the OP's question, I would get Boost/EGT/Oil Pressure/Oil Temp and maybe A/F wideband if you can afford it.
#13 Old 12-26-2007, 06:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
It seems to me that the air/fuel gauge is slightly less necessary during the very beginning stages of modification... I would think it would be best to start out by keeping an eye on things that could slowly increase or decrease to a point of destruction (like pressure or temperature) to make sure you don't reach this point instead of watching a gauge that constantly changes when you drive like the air/fuel gauge (I guess the boost gauge is similar to this, but you can still sort of keep an eye on it when you hit your max boost to make sure it doesn't go too high). Maybe I am completely wrong, but from what I gather, the air/fuel gauge becomes more necessary during later stages of modification when you start tweaking specific parameters of the ecu with more hardcore tuning software (UTEC? enginuity?) and want to observe patterns or data log exactly how your engine is running... please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm still trying to learn this stuff.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#14 Old 12-26-2007, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
WOW!!!! you guys sure do like alot of gauges in your cars. I only have a oil pressure and boost don't see a need for anything else really. What's the point of having a oil temp for a mostly stock car that doesn't see alot of long endurance racing? The A/F gauge is only useful when tuning, which is the only real time I have one plugged in and it's a setup on my laptop not and an actual gauge. Now the EGT *goes to put flame suit on*

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#15 Old 12-27-2007, 08:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 2006WRXTR Send a message via Yahoo to 2006WRXTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
WOW!!!! you guys sure do like alot of gauges in your cars. I only have a oil pressure and boost don't see a need for anything else really. What's the point of having a oil temp for a mostly stock car that doesn't see alot of long endurance racing? The A/F gauge is only useful when tuning, which is the only real time I have one plugged in and it's a setup on my laptop not and an actual gauge. Now the EGT *goes to put flame suit on*
Agreed. If you are not tuning yourself, you really do not need all of the gauges.

Rich
Latest: Meth Injection, Open Source