Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Boost after tune (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/boost-after-tune-24952/)

Nic17fly 12-17-2008 07:03 PM

Boost after tune

I just talked with my tuner and he said he is having a problem with getting the factory ecu's boost controller to reflash to over 10 psi. Now I have read the other forums and I gather the stock boost is somewhere in the range of 15ish psi. Is that correct? And are there any suggestions for him to fix this? He is doing a custom tune using a dyno via his laptop, not sure what program. Any help you provide would be great. Thanks guys.

mosc 12-17-2008 08:06 PM

Stock boost is 13.5 PSI. Most stage 2 tunes are 16-17PSI

Sounds like possibly a problem with the pill in your vaccum line or perhaps the wastegate is not tight enough.

dumdum 12-18-2008 05:49 PM

Sounds like you should find a new tuner.He should know how to trouble shoot these kinds of problems,especially if nothing has been done to the car and it was running fine before the tune.Maybe you left out some important details?

Nic17fly 12-23-2008 12:32 PM

Well I didn't have a boost gauge installed prior to the tune so there is no way of knowing what my psi was at. I installed the boost and egt gauge at the same time we did the up pipe and TBE. we took a look at the waste gate and it is operating properly. My tuner thinks it may be a faulty BOV and since it is still the stock bypass valve you wouldn't be able to hear anything if its leaking out boost. The only other thing I can think of (if it isn't the BOV) is a bad turbo. Like I said, it still runs fine and the TBE made an increase of 15 whp, the only issue is not being able to get the actual boost over 8 psi, even though the ecu is tuned for higher. According to Steve, my tuner, a stage 2 WRX should be around the 250 to 260 torque range with approx 235-240 whp. Right now mine dynos at 200 whp and 186 torque but thats only at 8-9 psi.

So anyway right now I am looking at the Perrin Bypass valve, anyone have any experience with this.

dumdum 12-23-2008 02:34 PM

Did your tuner check to see if the restrictor pill for the turbo was in the vacuum line at the compressor housing?

turmic 12-23-2008 09:13 PM

I'd start with what dumdum said, it sounds kinda like limp mode or missing the pill (that or the pill is in the wrong place).

robert.lshoc 12-28-2008 10:21 AM

get a gm bcs and then have it tuned they are cheap. There is a guy from okc that comes to lawton sometimes his name is Ben who tunes and he is supposed to be pretty good.

Boost Addict 12-28-2008 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=Nic17fly;211728]Well I didn't have a boost gauge installed prior to the tune so there is no way of knowing what my psi was at. I installed the boost and egt gauge at the same time we did the up pipe and TBE. we took a look at the waste gate and it is operating properly. My tuner thinks it may be a faulty BOV and since it is still the stock bypass valve you wouldn't be able to hear anything if its leaking out boost. The only other thing I can think of (if it isn't the BOV) is a bad turbo. Like I said, it still runs fine and the TBE made an increase of 15 whp, the only issue is not being able to get the actual boost over 8 psi, even though the ecu is tuned for higher. According to Steve, my tuner, a stage 2 WRX should be around the 250 to 260 torque range with approx 235-240 whp. Right now mine dynos at 200 whp and 186 torque but thats only at 8-9 psi.

So anyway right now I am looking at the [B]Perrin Bypass valve[/B], anyone have any experience with this.[/QUOTE]

Have it on order, should be installed within the next 2 weeks. I will review it in my build thread in the 08 section under Boost Addicts 08 WRX.

dumdum 12-28-2008 04:06 PM

Could even be a boost leak from a loose coupling or a preturbo exhaust leak.

Nic17fly 02-09-2009 02:30 PM

[quote=dumdum;211730]Did your tuner check to see if the restrictor pill for the turbo was in the vacuum line at the compressor housing?[/quote]

Sorry it took me so long to reply...it took me this long to get it back up to the shop...I've been really busy. The restrictor pill was missing, when we replaced it the boost will go up to 16-17 psi. However the boost seems to stick at times. For example sometimes it will boost to 9 or 10 and stay there and then other times it will go up to 16 psi slowly but wont get there till 4.5k to 5.5k. To trouble shoot it we disconnected that line all together to force the waste gate closed and it boosted to 16+ psi by 3k rpm. Is it possible that the unit that controls the wastegate is bad? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kjott21 02-09-2009 02:59 PM

[quote=dumdum;211476]Sounds like you should find a new tuner.He should know how to trouble shoot these kinds of problems,especially if nothing has been done to the car and it was running fine before the tune.[/quote]

+1 This sounds more like a tuning issue not a mechanical issue.

I would try an aftermarket BCS like the GM/Perrin/Prodrive if the boost "sticks".

Nic17fly 02-09-2009 03:42 PM

[quote=Kjott21;214868]+1 This sounds more like a tuning issue not a mechanical issue.

I would try an aftermarket BCS like the GM/Perrin/Prodrive if the boost "sticks".[/quote]

I didnt have a Boost gauge prior to tune so it is very possible that my car was not performing right and I had no idea. So to say it was running fine is incorrect because it can't be determined.

dumdum 02-10-2009 09:48 AM

Try cleaning the boost control solenoid some some electrical parts cleaner.Can be found at most auto stores.Just squirt some in both ports and shake it around.Still think you should find a new tuner.How is it I haven't even touched or seen your car but new to check for the restrictor pill first thing.Maybe he doesn't tune alot of Subarus.