Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Best tune? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/best-tune-24714/)

TurboRyan 11-14-2008 03:15 PM

Best tune?

Hello, i have an 02' wrx with a good amount of mods. When i bought the car it had most the mods done already. After owning the car for about 6 months my turbo crapped out (supossedly). I now have a new turbo but i am still having problems, i'm sure not having any engine management done is the problem. So my question is what is the best way to tune my car? i have heard the cobb AP tuner won't help since i have an aftermarket turbo?
-Current mods-
TD05 big 16g turbo (ported)
Silicone turbo inlet pipe
4" down pipe
3" catless exhaust
AEM intake
irridium plugs

Suggestions?

seanwrxwagon 11-14-2008 04:10 PM

The accessPort works with certain parts. You can look at Cobb's Website and see if your setup is supported. If it not you can still use the accessPort but only with a protune by a tuner. Beyond that you could go opensource and try and find a internet tuner that has a map for your setup.

mosc 11-14-2008 05:00 PM

There is no cobb base map for that setup. The 16G they spec is smaller. Also it doesn't use that intake. You're going to need to take it to a tuner or do it yourself. You might look into an online tuner if you are a long ways from an AWD dyno as well.

TurboRyan 11-14-2008 06:37 PM

So it looks like my best option is a cobb accessport tuner and a custom map? Anybody have/know of a tuner and/or STi pink injectors for a good deal??

Chase 11-14-2008 07:59 PM

You are in Medford. Yes, if you want to make the journey north, RALLITEK is in portland. Possibly the nicest and fairest mechanics I have ever met, they've practically let me rob them multiple times. After hours and hours of diagnosis work on my car they've charged me a grand total of $200. They will tell you anything you need to know and are a pleasure to work with. They've GIVEN me hordes of info so I could go home and do stuff myself. Their work has been featured in multiple magazines, and Sean who owns the place and really knows his stuff does the tunes himself. 1-888-773-1212.

If you want to stay an hour closer to home, then there is PDX tuning. These guys really know their stuff too. Words cannot express how many people, including myself, feel these guys are utter jerks and shouldn't be allowed to deal with customers. 1-800-WHO-CARES

mosc 11-14-2008 08:56 PM

PDX is a good shop too...

Chase 11-15-2008 02:28 AM

Definately. Like I said, they know their stuff, and they have a reputation to back it. But Jarrad the owner, who is actually pretty nice, rarely has time deal with the customer. So the buck gets passed off to his #1 in charge (can't remember his name,) who thinks he is god's gift to subaru's. I took my car to them on 3 occasions for 1 problem, and got it back with hefty bills without the problem ever being addressed. I also had the privelage of being treated like dirt for having the audacity to want my car to be worked on in exchange for money.

I've gotten the same feedback from other customers as well as other shops that have had to deal with them. Don't get me wrong, they'll give you a good tune, but RALLITEK is the kind of place that stands behind their work and makes sure that you are 100% satisfied with your car before you leave, or they fix it. I would drive 4 hours to go there, fortunately it's only 10 minutes for me :) I swear I'm not getting paid for this...

TurboRyan 11-15-2008 11:37 AM

Do you guys recommend buying the injectors before the tune? If i bought injectors is there a map that would be close enough to my set up? i have found a few maps that are "close." How close must the map be to my actual tune??

Chase 11-15-2008 03:59 PM

Definately. You need your full setup done when you go get your tune. The reason you are getting the tune is so that your ECU can handle your mods. Once you get the tune, you don't want to bolt on a part at a time, or it will defeat the purpose of a custom tune, especially injectors. Once you are ready to upgrade again, get your mods ready and do it all at once and go get a new tune.

Also, being in medford there are probably loads of good tuning shops at your disposal in california, but I would still reccomend RALLITECH if no one knows of any near you.

dumdum 11-15-2008 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=TurboRyan;209056]Do you guys recommend buying the injectors before the tune? If i bought injectors is there a map that would be close enough to my set up? i have found a few maps that are "close." How close must the map be to my actual tune??[/QUOTE]I hope you are not currently driving this car..........

02wrxnfx 11-16-2008 05:26 AM

get a dom tune

turmic 11-16-2008 01:31 PM

Last time I heard, dom isn't tuning anymore.

TurboRyan 11-17-2008 11:46 AM

Unfortunatly i do have to drive the car... For the most part its my only way around, i have a street bike i have been riding but its starting to get a little to wet/cold for that... I obviously haven't gotten on it in my car for some time, when i do drive it i try and keep it under 3k. I have about $800 i can put into the car to get it dependable again, this is why i am asking kinda dumb questions about the tune. I plan on getting the cobb AP tuner this week, but i don't think the injectors will fit in my budget also. What is my best option from here?

mosc 11-17-2008 01:10 PM

Forget the Cobb AP, especially on that budget. Let the tuner put a custom map on your ECU directly. Will be cheaper.

You need to buy:
650cc injectors
walboro 255 fuel pump
SSAC TMIC
catless up pipe (I would recommend some new gaskets with it too)
and call up one of those shops near you and make an appointment to dyno it.

That's the only collection of stuff I can come up with for close to $800 to use that turbo effectively and reliably. Probably still going to add up to be a little north of $1000

The next best option if that is too much is to put the stock turbo back on ffs.

02wrxnfx 11-17-2008 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=turmic;209101]Last time I heard, dom isn't tuning anymore.[/QUOTE]

that realy sucks arse

world one in kent wa is good from what ive heard, they also have a awd dyno on site