Best Place for a pro tune- El Paso, TX area - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

MWilliams is an unknown
Best Place for a pro tune- El Paso, TX area

As the title says, I live in El Paso, TX and im looking for the best place in the area to get a pro tune for my 02 WRX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You have an AP?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The closest tuner I know of is in Phoenix, AZ. Otherwise you're driving equal distances to Austin, Dallas, or Colorado Springs.
#4 Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

MWilliams is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
You have an AP?
No, I don't have an AP yet. I'm about to do a hybrid swap on my wrx and i'm just trying to find the best place to get a tune for when the swap is finished.
#5 Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
After your swap, you will need a "limp map" of sorts to get you there safely (if it's not trailored).

Best way to do this is Opensource or an AP.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 04-07-2013, 11:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

nmlittlebigman is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
The closest tuner I know of is in Phoenix, AZ. Otherwise you're driving equal distances to Austin, Dallas, or Colorado Springs.
Cameron Dawes (CAMtuning) is up in Albuquerque. He travels down to Las Cruces quite often so OP you might hit him up. Clark Turner does come over to El Paso to tune at least once a year as well. Talk to Abel (Service Manager) at Garcia Subaru for Clark's schedule.
Otherwise get an AP or a tactrix cable and then you will open up opportunities to work with hundreds of tuners. With a bugeye they are a bit more forgiving than the newer WRX's.
#7 Old 04-07-2013, 01:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWilliams View Post
No, I don't have an AP yet. I'm about to do a hybrid swap on my wrx and i'm just trying to find the best place to get a tune for when the swap is finished.
You can't drive a hybrid setup at all without a tune 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmlittlebigman View Post
Cameron Dawes (CAMtuning) is up in Albuquerque. He travels down to Las Cruces quite often so OP you might hit him up. Clark Turner does come over to El Paso to tune at least once a year as well. Talk to Abel (Service Manager) at Garcia Subaru for Clark's schedule.
Otherwise get an AP or a tactrix cable and then you will open up opportunities to work with hundreds of tuners. With a bugeye they are a bit more forgiving than the newer WRX's.
The only thing Clark has ever been good at is blowing motors. He's a VERY inept and dangerous tuner and if you're tuned by him I suggest you get retuned ASAP. He ruined 5 motors over the course of 4 days of tuning, which got him professionally banned from Dallas.
#8 Old 04-07-2013, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
You can't drive a hybrid setup at all without a tune 1st.

The only thing Clark has ever been good at is blowing motors. He's a VERY inept and dangerous tuner and if you're tuned by him I suggest you get retuned ASAP. He ruined 5 motors over the course of 4 days of tuning, which got him professionally banned from Dallas.
No sir I am not tuned by Clark. I know folks love him or hate him (I know a quite a few people in the second category). I was originally tuned (Stage 2) by CAMtuning. Started working with Eric Minehart after I did a fuel line mod to correct the GR stumble. Both Cameron and Eric are very competent tuners from my personal experience and I would definitely recommend either of them. Since Cam is the only one close enough to physically put his hands on the car I would recommend him to OP. Sorry for the confusion.
As for a tuner being "banned" from a whole city....I have never heard of that happening unless you mean he wont be invited back to a particular shop.
#9 Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Ouch! brfatal I see that you have personal experience with Clark:

Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com - View Single Post - Mods that you regret

My apologies to you good sir. OK so the ONLY tuner that I (personally) can recommend to OP that might be able to tune him first hand nearby would be Cam. I'll let it go at that.
#10 Old 04-07-2013, 10:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmlittlebigman View Post
As for a tuner being "banned" from a whole city....I have never heard of that happening unless you mean he wont be invited back to a particular shop.
Meaning every time someone proposes flying him in they get shot down by others reminding them of all the damage he did. Not all of the bad tunes he put out resulted in dead motors from those events. Many of the people who attended ended up getting retuned by local shops shortly after (I know this because I knew the people who worked at the other shops).
#11 Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

I'll vouch for Cam, he tuned my last 2 Subies when he comes to Austin.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 04-13-2013, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Stay away from speed factory, they're known for blowing motors.