Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Best Place for a pro tune- El Paso, TX area (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/best-place-pro-tune-el-paso-tx-area-33688/)

MWilliams 03-07-2013 12:26 PM

Best Place for a pro tune- El Paso, TX area

As the title says, I live in El Paso, TX and im looking for the best place in the area to get a pro tune for my 02 WRX.

pzr2874 03-07-2013 12:28 PM

You have an AP?

brfatal 03-07-2013 01:43 PM

The closest tuner I know of is in Phoenix, AZ. Otherwise you're driving equal distances to Austin, Dallas, or Colorado Springs.

MWilliams 03-07-2013 06:47 PM

[quote=pzr2874;291435]You have an AP?[/quote]

No, I don't have an AP yet. I'm about to do a hybrid swap on my wrx and i'm just trying to find the best place to get a tune for when the swap is finished.

pzr2874 03-08-2013 05:45 AM

After your swap, you will need a "limp map" of sorts to get you there safely (if it's not trailored).

Best way to do this is Opensource or an AP.

nmlittlebigman 04-07-2013 11:43 AM

[quote=brfatal;291437]The closest tuner I know of is in Phoenix, AZ. Otherwise you're driving equal distances to Austin, Dallas, or Colorado Springs.[/quote]

Cameron Dawes (CAMtuning) is up in Albuquerque. He travels down to Las Cruces quite often so OP you might hit him up. Clark Turner does come over to El Paso to tune at least once a year as well. Talk to Abel (Service Manager) at Garcia Subaru for Clark's schedule.
Otherwise get an AP or a tactrix cable and then you will open up opportunities to work with hundreds of tuners. With a bugeye they are a bit more forgiving than the newer WRX's.

brfatal 04-07-2013 01:18 PM

[quote=MWilliams;291441]No, I don't have an AP yet. I'm about to do a hybrid swap on my wrx and i'm just trying to find the best place to get a tune for when the swap is finished.[/quote]

You can't drive a hybrid setup at all without a tune 1st.

[quote=nmlittlebigman;292985]Cameron Dawes (CAMtuning) is up in Albuquerque. He travels down to Las Cruces quite often so OP you might hit him up. Clark Turner does come over to El Paso to tune at least once a year as well. Talk to Abel (Service Manager) at Garcia Subaru for Clark's schedule.
Otherwise get an AP or a tactrix cable and then you will open up opportunities to work with hundreds of tuners. With a bugeye they are a bit more forgiving than the newer WRX's.[/quote]

The only thing Clark has ever been good at is blowing motors. He's a VERY inept and dangerous tuner and if you're tuned by him I suggest you get retuned ASAP. He ruined 5 motors over the course of 4 days of tuning, which got him professionally banned from Dallas.

nmlittlebigman 04-07-2013 02:21 PM

[quote=brfatal;293009]You can't drive a hybrid setup at all without a tune 1st.

The only thing Clark has ever been good at is blowing motors. He's a VERY inept and dangerous tuner and if you're tuned by him I suggest you get retuned ASAP. He ruined 5 motors over the course of 4 days of tuning, which got him professionally banned from Dallas.[/quote]

No sir I am [U]not[/U] tuned by Clark. I know folks love him or hate him (I know a quite a few people in the second category). I was originally tuned (Stage 2) by CAMtuning. Started working with Eric Minehart after I did a fuel line mod to correct the GR stumble. Both Cameron and Eric are very competent tuners from my personal experience and I would definitely recommend either of them. Since Cam is the only one close enough to physically put his hands on the car I would recommend him to OP. Sorry for the confusion.
As for a tuner being "banned" from a whole city....I have never heard of that happening unless you mean he wont be invited back to a particular shop.

nmlittlebigman 04-07-2013 04:21 PM

[quote=brfatal;293009]
The only thing Clark has ever been good at is blowing motors. He's a VERY inept and dangerous tuner and if you're tuned by him I suggest you get retuned ASAP. He ruined 5 motors over the course of 4 days of tuning, which got him professionally banned from Dallas.[/quote]
Ouch! brfatal I see that you have personal experience with Clark:

[url=http://www.iwsti.com/forums/3729902-post44.html]Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com - View Single Post - Mods that you regret[/url]

My apologies to you good sir. OK so the ONLY tuner that I (personally) can recommend to OP that might be able to tune him first hand nearby would be Cam. I'll let it go at that.

brfatal 04-07-2013 10:42 PM

[quote=nmlittlebigman;293025]
As for a tuner being "banned" from a whole city....I have never heard of that happening unless you mean he wont be invited back to a particular shop.[/quote]

Meaning every time someone proposes flying him in they get shot down by others reminding them of all the damage he did. Not all of the bad tunes he put out resulted in dead motors from those events. Many of the people who attended ended up getting retuned by local shops shortly after (I know this because I knew the people who worked at the other shops).

pzr2874 04-08-2013 05:37 AM

I'll vouch for Cam, he tuned my last 2 Subies when he comes to Austin.

Brockton 04-13-2013 11:25 AM

Stay away from speed factory, they're known for blowing motors.