The best mod for gas mileage AND HP gain? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-24-2009, 10:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

02wrx02 is an unknown
The best mod for gas mileage AND HP gain?

I just got a 2002 WRX and I am looking for the best engine mod that increases mpg's AND adds horsepower. I am leaning toward an accessport. What do you guys think? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-24-2009, 11:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
AP does have a map for gas mileage...but another cheap thing you can do is buy a k&n air filter. I would probably do both.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#3 Old 10-24-2009, 02:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

thack03 is an unknown
I would do both as well, I got better gas milage during stage 2 in my 03 sedan with an accessport, and stage 2 is obviously more power
#4 Old 10-24-2009, 02:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
That's sort of a tricky question. Usually, when you modify your car to increase power, you'll end up losing mpgs. No matter what you do, you probably won't be able to noticeably increase your mpgs, but rather sustain it or keep it from significantly decreasing as you add power. Much of your gas mileage has to do with how you drive the car and it is possible to average low to mid 20's (sometimes better) with a slightly modified WRX.

If you get a Cobb AccessPORT, a bellmouth downpipe, flash to a Stage 2 map, AND you can keep yourself from mashing the gas pedal to the floor all the time, you might pick up a few extra miles per gallon, but you'll also get a noticeable power increase over stock. An up pipe would benefit you as well, but mostly as a safety mod so your pre-turbo catalytic converter doesn't break apart and send chunks of debris flying into your turbo, often causing catastrophic turbo failure. Turbocharged engines can actually be more efficient than naturally aspirated engines depending how you drive them, but most of us would rather feel the car push us into the seat over and over. A K&N filter is also a good idea. Pulstar Pulse Plugs advertise better gas mileage and an increase in horsepower/torque, but they're pretty expensive. I have a set of them right now and, although there might be an improvement in all of that, it's not noticeable. You could also switch to synthetic engine oil, transmission fluid, and rear differential fluid - and, actually on that note, make sure all of your maintenance is up to date and you'll probably pick up a few mpgs and restore some lost power.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#5 Old 10-24-2009, 02:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXParamedic is an unknown
I put a stage 2 map on my car and I did see increase by 4 MPG on a road trip vs the same route without EM. BUT that is not always the case. With an increase in power it is hard to keep from having a lead foot. I end up with the exact same mileage as before so I actually am saving gas by having more power. Get a boost gauge installed and anything above 0 psi is boosting and costing more in gas.
#6 Old 10-24-2009, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

02wrx02 is an unknown
Alright thanks guys! I think I am going to go with the accessport. Do you think that the K&N air filter will really help?
#7 Old 10-24-2009, 08:34 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You will be able to hear the inake, the turbo and the BPV a little more, as far as help Im not sure. And if you get the AP, dont mess with the economy map. Its meant for light driving only. It pulls boost and all that to "conserve" gas, but in turn you have no power if or when you want to pass anyone. When I was both stage 1 and 2 I got just as good or better gas mileage as the economy map, and I was able to pass when I wanted to also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#8 Old 10-25-2009, 01:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

02wrx02 is an unknown
Alright thats nice to know. I won't mess with the economy map then.
#9 Old 10-25-2009, 12:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
kinda weird, but when my engine blew i got it rebuilt with forged pistons, my gas mileage went up a MPG or so lol. no EM or anything i just thought it was kinda funny.
#10 Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

PdxRex is an unknown
If it helps, I just put in a drop in K&N on Friday, noticed alittle less in mpg but got more performance out of it (09 stock wrx) but I was having fun and was hittin alot of boost in the process. Going to fill up and lay off the pedal this time to check mpg #'s
#11 Old 10-26-2009, 08:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

02wrx02 is an unknown
The guy i was going to buy the accessport from was scamming. craigslist can be a beotch. Now im just thinking about exhaust and a cold air intake.. what brand do you guys suggest?
#12 Old 10-26-2009, 08:58 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I wouldnt get a CAI unless you plan on tuning the car right after installation. If you want an intake (which is not needed until heavier modding is done) get an SRI like the Cobb or the SPT. They are the same ID as the stock intake and wont mess with the MAF or anything.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Go for an AP, look on ebay! I somehow got mine for $386! I feel like I could sell it for more than that right now... hehe... but I would suggest the Accessport as well!
#14 Old 10-27-2009, 11:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
In my experience a good sail works...

-Chris
#15 Old 10-27-2009, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

amanMaphia is an unknown
Buy an accessport in the nasioc classifieds you should be able to find version one for less than 350, and really there is no great advantage to version 2. When you get bored with stage 2 add a sti top mount and a spt intake and lookup clark turner etunes, holy crap the power over OTS stage 2 is bad.