Best EM to get - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Whitebugeye is an unknown
Best EM to get

Ok I keep hearing about Cobb and other E/M's to get and I have no idea wich way to go. First off let me give you a run down of what I have done to my car HKS turbo back even the down pipe( I know that some of you hate this down pipe I don't care it was cheap and that is what I got) HKS short ram suction kit( once again I know some of you dont like intakes thats fine thats what I have and thats what I'm sticking with). Also in about 2 weeks getting HKS uppipe and a A/F gauge with wideband 02 sensor anyway what is the best EM to run with this set up so far should I just get an ECU reflash or my own EM would prefer that route actually any suggestions would be nice but not if its telling to get rid of my D/P and intake. thanks

Scott White 03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2007, 03:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

testing

Scott White 03
#3 Old 02-26-2007, 03:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

testing testing

Scott White 03
#4 Old 02-26-2007, 04:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Opensource, Cobb, UTEC, Hydra there is a long list, I prefer opensource due to the fact that I can tune myself and it is cheaper than anything else, more of a DIY kind of person. Just do a search for some of these names and you should find your answer.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 02-26-2007, 04:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

you said that you prefered the open source but is it user friendly?

Scott White 03
#6 Old 02-26-2007, 04:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, but you really have to know how to tune, just like the Hyrda and UTEC. Ther are maps setup just like the Cobb AP if you want to go that route.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#7 Old 02-26-2007, 04:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

the maps that your talking about are they just fuel maps?

Scott White 03
#8 Old 02-26-2007, 05:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

by the way what side of ohio are you on

Scott White 03
#9 Old 02-26-2007, 05:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
You car is going to be very hard to get EM for. Your mods require a custom tune if you wanted to be safe, and your downpipe has a blocking plate, which is going to cause you problems.
#10 Old 02-26-2007, 05:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Where could I go for a custom tune?

Scott White 03
#11 Old 02-26-2007, 05:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

JBWRX06 is an unknown
whitebugwye I have an HKS dp also and i aint getting rid of it to spend 600 on a ####ing dp thats does the same shit basically, HKS dp are good for our cars, I go to a subaru tech shop that only does subarus and they said its a good one to get with the ap so dont listen to them bad mouthing the hks dp, I m getting the cobb ap2 and then a protune for what i got done to my car.
#12 Old 02-26-2007, 05:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

cool man I would think that if HKS has been aorund for so long it would'nt be becasue they make !@#$ and if it is such a problem why could'nt you weld in a peice on the dp to divorce the waste gate and dump it into the atmosphere maybe a stupid idea but just curious

Scott White 03
#13 Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebugeye
the maps that your talking about are they just fuel maps?
No they are complete maps, timing, fuel, boost that is all included. Yeah not try to but your HKS intake will cause some issues with basic OTS maps like I am talking about, so you could either keep it and try and tune for the intake or put the stocker back on, your choice. The DP doesn't bother me as much, although you can get a Ebay Bellmouth DP for $130 shipped that is just as good as the Invidia that I have. If you need any more help please feel free to ask, I will try and answer the best I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebugeye
by the way what side of ohio are you on
I live about 2hrs. southeast of Columbus, right in the middle of nowhere.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#14 Old 02-26-2007, 02:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

blue04wrx is an unknown
have you heard of any issues with the ebay bellmouth dp? i have it and have not had any problems with mounting/leaks/performance for the 3 months i've been using it in accordance with ap v1 stage 2 map
#15 Old 02-26-2007, 03:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
+1 for the ebay downpipe. You could probably sell your hks for ~ $90, so in the end it won't cost you too much. You could weld another pipe and vent the wastegate gases into the atmosphere, but you're going to have to make a dividing plate, not to mention it's going to be hecka loud so you'll need to find a way to quiet it down if your wrx is your daily driver. In the end you're going to be spending a lot more money than it would take to buy a $100 bellmouth downpipe.