Bcs - Subaru WRX Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-01-2014, 04:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

RickyTurbo11 is an unknown
Bcs

Shifting on the highway from 4th to 5th and got a PO224. It has only happened once before but it was the same situation, highway shifting from 4th to 5th. Would say a grimmspeed electronic boost control solenoid fix this? I bought one and took it to get installed at my tune, but my tuner said don't bother ### my solenoid duty was low. I didn't get a fuel cut because my car kept going fine so I'm thinking it was overboost. Could this be the wastegate? boost control solenoid? Or too much bad pressure running catless?

Last edited by RickyTurbo11; 02-01-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Revised
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2014, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^ delete all of the above and state your case without any words of street racing.
It is prohibited

Edit: thank you, OP responded immediately to my request per the forum rules.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew

Last edited by BLAZE2099; 02-01-2014 at 07:49 PM.
#3 Old 02-01-2014, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks
#4 Old 02-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Had the same issue, even though I replaced a bunch of other parts right at once, My tuner was telling me it had to deal with my EBCS so I went with grimmspeed and they had no issues at all

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
#5 Old 02-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Bcs

Boost spikes are gonna happen in later gears if WOT and shifting. The fact you're catless def isn't helping things. You're kinda "chasing the dragon" on this one. Some have success with only tuning to fix this issue. I've read plenty of posts about people trying ebcs with no avail, although I've seen the opposite more often. Being catless def isn't helping though...esp if on OTS maps! You're not protuned right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
BLAZE2099 likes this.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#6 Old 02-02-2014, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

I am pro tuned. By a really good tuner. I do run a little rich in the low rpm range with his tune and I backfire if I dump a lot of fuel but besides that it's a very good tune I think. Unfortunately I tend to agree with you, since I'm cattless when I'm flooring it in a high gear and then shifting I can't expect not to boost spike I guess. I might try the ECCS but I might as well wait to save and do other things at the same time. No sense in paying all the money for another tune to just install a $100 part.
#7 Old 02-02-2014, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

What about a manual boost controller? Would that require a retune? Could that solve the problem? I really don't want to drive around and have to worry about boost spikes then pull off and clear the code.
#8 Old 02-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I had the same problem with my catless dp.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#9 Old 02-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Bcs

I'm protuned as well by BrenTuning who I'm sure you know of. I too spike a bit when WOT and shifting in 4th and 5th to 19.5 when I'm tuned to 18.5 otherwise. A Grimm ebcs is in the works. Although like you mentioned, doing other mods is what I'm waiting on. Don't waste your time with a manual unit! If you're spiking during normal use then I'd have a talk with your tuner, but if it's only higher gears at WOT I'd say just get enough supporting mods as soon as possible and get the ebcs lol! I've read MANY articles on this when I first initially had this same "problem" and there's really nothing you can do but try a ebcs. The car is lacking what's not there, and a tuner can only do so much. I'm catted too...and still spike btw.

And btw how the hell haven't we met up yet? Never even noticed you live in MA...

[edit] Don't dump the gas/clutch pedal and you'll be fine just FYI. Even just staging for a second solves the spike issue.

#10 Old 02-02-2014, 09:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Manuals are bad news for our cars.
They won't learn it, but still be trying to accommodate the stocker.
the RIOT act likes this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#11 Old 02-03-2014, 06:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
I'm protuned as well by BrenTuning who I'm sure you know of. I too spike a bit when WOT and shifting in 4th and 5th to 19.5 when I'm tuned to 18.5 otherwise. A Grimm ebcs is in the works. Although like you mentioned, doing other mods is what I'm waiting on. Don't waste your time with a manual unit! If you're spiking during normal use then I'd have a talk with your tuner, but if it's only higher gears at WOT I'd say just get enough supporting mods as soon as possible and get the ebcs lol! I've read MANY articles on this when I first initially had this same "problem" and there's really nothing you can do but try a ebcs. The car is lacking what's not there, and a tuner can only do so much. I'm catted too...and still spike btw.

And btw how the hell haven't we met up yet? Never even noticed you live in MA...

[edit] Don't dump the gas/clutch pedal and you'll be fine just FYI. Even just staging for a second solves the spike issue.

I too got my car tuned with Bren. He was excellent. Definitely gonna wait and try and do a top mount, fuel pump, injectors and the ECBS at the same time so I only have to do one tune. And yea I'm always around. I live in falmouth but work at a Subaru dealership in Raynham so I'm not far.
#12 Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Bcs

That would prob explain why we both spike lol!!

Not the biggest fan of his work. I'd recommend Wicked Innovations for future needs. I've found way too many shady things done by him with tuning to be able to trust him. And when I asked him about my spike problem all I got was a piss poor attitude and how it "wasn't his problem" and I shouldn't done this that and other things. Well, kinda would've been great to have all the info before hand...cause I would've done them! But I love how he recommended an ebcs AFTER my tune. And then I hit him up about my Forge BPV before this instance and he said "just take it off if you're having problems with it...you don't need it" well why the hell did you tell me I DID when I initially came to you? Had no answer...didn't even reply to me!

He's great until you question his work. I def won't be going back. Just my opinion though.

Oh, next time you talk to him ask him how 1/2 his tunes all have identical ending HP/TQ readings. Using base maps much?.?.I think so lol!!

Just be careful man...very shady dude!

Nathan21 likes this.

#13 Old 02-03-2014, 11:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
3port bcs won't cute boost creep/spike

Check this out!

https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en...t-Creep-Issues

09bluewrx and Nathan21 like this.