Subaru WRX Forum banner

b4 i do a major upgrade...

5K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  man show 
#1 · (Edited)
so heres my situation:
i currently have a cbe and perrin sri on an untuned car.
I plan to put on a up, dp, 3 port ebcs, and fuel pump, with a road tune.
problem is the tuner has to come in from out of state to tune, he comes in when there a few cars that need tunes, i am not suer how frequent this happens yet, and even the shop i have to go to is far away. so my question is this:
if anything breaks do i have to bring it back to get another tune? even if i put the same part back on?

#2 ·
whoa.. .slow down.

You have an AP right? This isn't an OpenSource tuner? Meaning the tuner will slap the tune on your AP.

With an OS tune, you are at the tuners mercy.

Try to explain it better.... Define "breaks"... Do you mean if your UP/DP/3port/FP dies.... do you have to get another tune? No... just replace what's broke.

#3 ·
i do not have an ap. i figured id have a pro do it for me. all i know is taht is a road tune and the charge is like 250. when i mean "if something breaks" like say if i have to replace a turbo or something will i need another tune? id most likely have all the performance parts put on at a performance shop, and all other stuff like if my turbo goes to a local repair shop. any help would be awesome.

#7 ·
Cobb has of the shelf maps for your car that should be able to run your setup pretty well without the need for a road tune. You can of course get a tailor made map that will be exactly for your unique setup, but if you want to drive the car safely before getting a custom tune, the Cobb maps usually work very well.

You might even be happy with an OTS map and decide that you don't need the road tune.

#8 ·
i checked with cobb and perrin to see if they had maps for my perrin short ram intake and they didnt have one for my year. originally ib was just going to buy a cobb and flash to stage 1 also i do not have the stock airbox because i bought the car with it on. i did a lot of research and figured my setup was just about bulletproof. but i am still a newb at this.

#9 ·
I would do what you can to get a safe tune on the car, then save some money to hide away for an "oh s***!" fund. Especially having an older bugeye, its good have money put back for basic maintenance and repairs. I bought my car about 2 months ago and have already had to fix about 4 boost leak issues, replace front rotors and breaks, change engine oil, tranny, and diff fluid. Its better to have a car that is running than a car that has a lot of bolt ons but is broke down. =/

#13 ·
arrrrg! i bought the car with it and dont have the stock air box. perrin insists that i didnt need a tune with the factory map, although everyone else disagrees. also it is a pita to clean. it gets dirty quick. would a dirty filter cause a lag in acceleration? im getting a delay when i push the accelerator when im in fourth. not sure if this is normal bc this is my first turbo car.

#14 ·
They use foam filters which aren't the best idea for automotive use either. Great for dirt bikes because they hold more debris before clogging, but bad for cars since they let so much thru the filter, especially because it's so thin. If you hold the filter up to the light you'll see what I mean.

Foam

Oiled cotton gauze

Steel mesh

Dry mesh

#18 ·
when in fourth i step on the gas without pushing in further or lifting off there is a second or two when im not acceleraqting. im going to bring it to the dealership to see waht they ythink.

also due to popular demand i think instead of all that stuff im gonna just purchase an ap and cobb intake and flash to stage 1. is this a safe setup?

#20 ·
hope its that simple! need to see if my car is healthy enough for a cobb ap flash and intake. im guessing that a cat back exhaust and hks bov wouldnt matter when flashing a stage 1 map but am not sure, thats my only real concern. if it was turbo lag how would it be fixed? expensive?

#21 ·
No, its not a fix it problem, its the time it takes your turbo to spool up and produce boost, so if you just casually shift up into 4th, not much throttle, then gun it, its going to take a second or two before you start to feel it really pull, this is the turbo spooling up and is normal.

#23 · (Edited)
It could also just be the drive by wire you're feeling. I literally thought something was wrong with mine when I first got it cause the throttle response is so delayed...still drives me nuts. After driving other Rex's and a lot of questioning I came to the conclusion that the delay I felt was just me needing to get use to the drive by wire. After I went stage2 it wasn't as bad, but def still noticeable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#26 ·
Drive by wire is the type of throttle setup Subaru, and many other manufactures use. It unfortunately causes a crazy delay in throttle response. It's something that you'd feel each time you start hard acceleration through each gear...not necessarily just WOT. An aftermarket protune helps a lot with this as its something that can be changed. Like I said there was a huge improvement when I got protuned, but its still noticeable by me. There's also "eliminators" that are sold but I've never tried them due to their cost. I don't think you can run them with a protune either.

Here's a reference of them. I doubt Jegs has the cheapest price though just FYI. Drive by wire may not be your problem, but its something that sounds like what you're experiencing. Def check into other members responses for possible causes of your issue as well. Best of luck.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Sprint-Booste...minator/1334709/10002/-1?pno=5&itemPerPage=30

#30 ·
My 06 wrx has 107k on it running Cobb stage 2 with helix catted downpipe and m2 catback along with Cobb Intake. What you might wanna do is compression test and make sure everything ok. Stage 1 isn't much if a difference from stock atleast I couldn't feel a difference. Is the timing belt, water pump , tensioner, plugs, coolant flush, diff service. Do all the preventive maintance before upgraded. Most of that should be done at 105k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.