Subaru WRX Forum banner

anyone upgrade their sti turbo?

5K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  detrails01 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a VF34 to buy

#8 ·
A 20G is a death sentences to an EJ205.

Well if i had a few extra thousand laying around id proly get somthing larger (20g) with some of that thousand paying for a good tune. But since the 16g is so comparable to the vf34 and 39 and cobb has ots maps for them, im looking for a used sti turbo for now and then ill upgrade down the road.
From what ive searched it seems the oem turbos are so much more reliable than FP. I would go with the fp16g but since im buying used and taking into consideration the vf34,39 are too similar to the 16g and evidently have proven to be the most reliable, it almost seems like a no brainer.
A few pointers:

- A 16G is better than a VF anything. They spool faster, are more efficient at higher boost levels, and make more power.
- Anyone who uses an OTS map on a turbo upgrade might as well just keep their money and not spend it at all. Why waste so much money on parts and not actually use them to their true potential?
- FP's 16G sucks.

What kind of mileage have you got on your motor?

#7 ·
Well if i had a few extra thousand laying around id proly get somthing larger (20g) with some of that thousand paying for a good tune. But since the 16g is so comparable to the vf34 and 39 and cobb has ots maps for them, im looking for a used sti turbo for now and then ill upgrade down the road.
From what ive searched it seems the oem turbos are so much more reliable than FP. I would go with the fp16g but since im buying used and taking into consideration the vf34,39 are too similar to the 16g and evidently have proven to be the most reliable, it almost seems like a no brainer.

#15 ·
sorry, just re-read the post and realized what you were talking about. Yes, you cant run a vf and a 16g on the same tune. What I meant was run them both with the same tuner. A good tune for the vf. A good tune for the 16g. I'm asking your opinion IF youve experienced the difference. From what ive heard, its a 50/50 with what people are more happy with. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.