AccessPort V3 + SF Intake Review - Subaru WRX Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
AccessPort V3 + SF Intake Review

2013 Subaru WRX Hatch, Satin Pearl White
Cobb SF Intake and Air Box, Accessport v3
Whitelines Sways, Kartboys Endlinks, Back to black bushings.
Roof Rack,Bike Rack, Clone CS Lip
91 Octane Shell fuel

Pre - I drive between 300 and 500 miles per week. I would say that during a good week I get to stretch her legs for 50-100 miles of that. I have been absolutely pleased with the stock performance but at 18,000 miles the mod bug bit me. I have been tossing around a Pro-tune vs an accessport for a few months and this weekend I made my decision and purchased an accessport v3. I was originally interested in moving the power band lower in the rpm curve so I don't need to rev as high while I am enjoying some spirited driving. I was also happy that the Cobb stage 1 map was richer under boost and more linear than the stock map.

Decisions - After reviewing the options I settled on 2 distinct choices the V2 Accessport and the V3. The V3 being a newer model it boasted 50% faster flashing times and it provides up to 6 live gauges. Im a bit of a data-whore so more info wins out. After talking with a cobb rep I also decided to pick up a stage1+ power package. it included their SF intake and the accompanying airbox with a nice discount. I know that there is no performance benefit from installing the SF intake at stage 1 but the sound is intoxicating. I have always liked hearing the aggressive sucking whooshing noise and it puts a smile on my fiance's face when I open the throttle so “happy wife happy life”

AccessPort Install - Installing the Cobb Accessport V3 is a 2 step process, it can be done in less than 10 minutes but to be done right will take about a half hour. The 1st step of the install process is to attach the mounting hardware, Cobb supplies a double T style mount with 3m industrial double sided adhesive. I choose to mount mine between the radio and the gauge cluster trim on the smooth head unit bezel. After removing the bezel use the included alcohol prep pad to prepare the area for bonding, apply the part and hold for 3-5 minutes applying even pressure. after re-installing the bezel the adhesive stuck very well. It didn't seem weak or shaky and should hold up well to track driving. Puting the accessport in the carrier is eased by magnetic alignment tabs. as far as the wiring i choose to connect the wire through my steering column trim. using a zip tie to make sure that the wiring would not interfere with any of the existing equipment.

Cobb SF / Airbox Install - the install for the airbox was about as simple as possible. Cobb DID NOT provide instructions with the products but they did include a website where i could find “up to date” instructions. I pulled out my tablet and got to work. Removing the factory airbox is definitely the worst part of the install process. all it takes is an 8mm socket, 10mm socket and an extension and the factory box will wiggle its way out. the Cobb SF intake fits right where the stock part sat but is considerably lighter, smaller, and smoother. The SF Airbox fits with the same attachment points as the OEM part. The new intake has brass attachment points for the MAF sensor and Cobb includes everything you could possibly need to complete the install. Cobb also includes a rubber gasket to “SEAL” the airbox. It doesnt seem like a thin rubber gasket along either side would be effective with the gaps between the box and the frame. I will look further into installing a heavy lining material to ensure that only colder fender air is being used. ** NOTE do not use this intake without tuning for the increase in airflow. you will cause a CEL and you will damage your engine. I dont care if your cousins friend has been runing it untuned forever and it makes a million horsepower DO NOT RUN INTAKES ON 08+ SUBARUS WITHOUT A TUNE**.

Fit / Finish - Cobb makes some very pretty parts, I would expect that the fit and finish be nearly perfect and they hit the nail on the head. The MAF mount was very smooth and the edges were all nicely cleaned. No signs of hard wearing surfaces anywhere on the parts. The silicone hose was uniform and shiny, the SF airbox is a nice brushed texture with Cobb laser etched on the top corner. I would have liked to see softer washers included in the process just to help dampen any vibration that might occur later. Other than that i am thrilled with the fit and finish of the SF airbox and the Accessport.

Flashing Maps - This is the proverbial easy part, with the Accessport plugged in you just follow the directions. insert key, turn to on position, click OK let the accessport backup your stock ECU and then choose your cobb OTS maps. I choose a stage 1 + SF 91 octane ACN map. Because I live in CA and we don't see 93 octane on a regular basis. the flashing took about 3 minutes and it was ready to run.

First Drive - the first time i took it out of the parking garage I felt a bit of hesitation. Turned out to be my own nerves. I was thoroughly excited about the possibility of more power and i swear it sounded different when it started. I kept the RPMs low, let it get up to temp and slowly exited the subterranean parking. As soon as I was on the open I let it go and I couldn’t stop smiling. The extra power from the OTS map is exactly where i wanted it and the sound of the SF intake reminds me of a wild animal breathing. I love hearing the stock BPV opening and the spooling noise just feels right. I drove with the windows down first and you can definitely hear the turbo doing work, with the windows up and the radio on low it kinda disappears into the background until you step on the throttle and the car comes alive. When I was done wasting gas I picked up my fiance and was worried that it might be a bit loud for her tastes, I warned her that it was a bit more noticeable than before and as soon as she heard the BPV she smiled just that same as I was. If shes happy with it then Im keeping it : )

Final Thoughts - This is my first step into modding my WRX. I have built high powered EJ platforms in the past and I don’t plan on doing any more than a stage 2 on my daily driver. The accessport gives me a lot of flexibility and it gives me more gauges than I need. I love the Stage 1+SF Map and i feel like the car is performing very well. It feels like a brand new car and it definitely sounds like a brand new car. I couldn't be happier : )

TLDR - Got a V3 Accessport and SF Intake, Tuned to stage 1 mv310 and its great : )

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-15-2014, 04:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Very detailed review, thanks. We need pictures please, along with the intake installed.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
#3 Old 04-15-2014, 05:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
2 things I missed, the first get some invisi-shield from an electronics store. they sell it in sheets and it is great for protecting screens. I see that you have your packaging screen cover on yours still

second - after the install I am getting some AM radio chatter. I was listening to traffic this morning and i noticed that there was a 20-30Hz chirp coming through the AM radio. I reached out to cobb but they don't have a solution. for now i will just use last.fm on the cell phone but i will be looking into a solution over the weekend.

Photos to come : )

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#4 Old 04-15-2014, 05:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

[IMG][/IMG]

I used the included mount and attached it to the trim next to the stereo. when I get home ill take a few more photos.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#5 Old 04-15-2014, 06:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I agree that it does transform the car, even though it's still modest performance at a Stage 1 tune. The EJ engine platform is capable of much more.

I intend to switch to the 93 octane tune for track days, along with suitable fuel of course.

The good thing about a modest level of tune like this or even Stage 2, is that even though it's a whole lot more fun, you get nearly stock-level reliabilty from it. This is what you want for a DD.

I've supported the OBD-II cable so it doesn't pull at the AP V3 mount, but I'm still going to need to reinforce the double-sided adhesive where it sits against the centre console.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
#6 Old 04-15-2014, 08:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
great write up! let us know when/if you go to stage 2!
#7 Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

As Promised i grabbed a photo under the hood other than the intake its all stock for now

[IMG] photo IMG_20140415_203439.jpg[/IMG]
BLAZE2099 likes this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#8 Old 04-16-2014, 01:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Looks great, any reason for not going with an AEM? Does anyone know if the AEM is as loud as the Cobb intake?
#9 Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

I choose Cobb over AEM because it was readily available and the Cobb SF with the box came in about half the price of buying the AEM.

Performance gains are negligible on stage 1 parts so it was really a matter of what looked good and what was less expensive. I love the sound of the aftermarket intake but there is nothing to be gained from paying twice the money for an AEM part.

From my research the Cobb intake is a more live sound. youtube has a few videos comparing the stock to cobb SF and stock to AEM

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#10 Old 04-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
AEM intake price $239

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ai.../model/impreza

Cobb intake $315

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-SF-...t-p/715300.htm

IMO I like the AEM. I like AEMs cost and it is a CAI instead of a short ram hot box. Personal preference to be honest. I have the AEM and love it.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#11 Old 04-16-2014, 04:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

I ended up getting a really good price on the 2 combined. That being said I like the idea of cold air intakes but with the factory air director still in place I feel like the intake air would be of very similar temperatures at highway speeds, I find that my intake temp is anywhere between 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit over ambient temps and thats cool enough for me. Im still a huge fan of AEM but i couldnt argue with the savings : )

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#12 Old 04-16-2014, 06:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The one and only reason I'm not going with the setup you have is because down. The road I will be front mounted with my larger turbo.
Otherwise it's a very nice clean look.
I love it!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#13 Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

@BLAZE2099 ,

Thanks, Shes a daily driver for now. Nobody knows what the future holds but im very pleased with it. I just wish I had cleaned the engine bay before I took those photos last night.
BLAZE2099 likes this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#14 Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Thanks for the response. This summer I planned on going stage 1 with AEM thats why I was asking. I like the idea of true CAI and the price point is really nice! I had a cobb on my old evo though so I know its a great piece too.
#15 Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

McBaine is an unknown
I did the same upgrade with my 2013 WRX hatch. I ran the SF intake a few days before I installed the air box due to it not arriving at the same time. I noticed a huge difference in intake temp without and with the box. the intake temp usually runs about 15-20 degrees above ambient temp now.
I am curious about the intake temps folks are getting with the CAI as opposed to the short ram. Anyone care to chime in?