Access Port and Dealership Warranties - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

MR_WRX is an unknown
Access Port and Dealership Warranties

Has anyone had problems with warranties concerning the power train using the access port? I've been researching different forums and it is very grey... from my understanding if the access port is uninstalled and the stock map is placed back into the ECU the dealership has no way of knowing unless they have reason to. One of them being you tell them and or they see it is being used. I want to know if any one has experienced it first hand, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
CobbTuning.com - AccessPORT - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

And read this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning
Q. Can a dealer detect that I have an AccessPORT installed?

A. Yes, this is possible unless you use the [Revert to Stock] menu option to load a purely stock program on the ECU. While the vehicle can be serviced by the dealership in the same way as a stock vehicle, and all the Dealer scan tools function 100% the same, the data on the ECU has a marker known as a "checksum". Whenever any data on the ECU is changed, this checksum value must be changed in order for the ECU to operate. If a dealership compares this checksum value against another stock car, the values will be different. If you use the [Revert to Stock] menu option to uninstall the AccessPORT from your vehicle, the checksum on the ECU is now a valid stock checksum. No markers are left by the AccessPORT when using the [Revert to Stock] menu option.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 08-06-2011, 09:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Unless the dealer has a reason to believe you retuned the ECU they won't even look. 99% of the time the techs don't check things like that when you take it in for warranty work. The dealership isn't getting paid for warranty work so they want to get it in and out ASAP.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#4 Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

MR_WRX is an unknown
Interesting thank you I will have to trust cobb unless proven otherwise.
#5 Old 08-06-2011, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

MR_WRX is an unknown
Although if I blow the engine up, not saying that it has to be from aftermarket parts, one would think the dealership would evaluate the ECU extensively to determine the cause. If it is true the checksum reveals nothing but normal status after deprogramming and reverting to stock then I still have a warranty.