Subaru WRX Forum banner

Access port !!

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  nighthawkra 
#1 ·
Im wanting a 2011 wrx sedan, and want to keep the warente, the dealer is workin on a deal with the spt exhaust.. but will the access port work with that exhaust as a stage one? its pretty much a sweeter sounding stock exhaust rite?

also has there been any dealers giving ppl a hard time with warente issues off of a stage one uninstalled? im not lookin to do much more till the warente ends, i understand through reading other threads that they may or may not see that the comp has been accessed but has anyone done a stage one.. uninstalled before going to dealer and had problems yet?

#2 ·
The "stage1" criteria really only needs a drop in panel filter (not even that if i'm not mistaken).

So yes you can flash to stage 1 with a catback on the car.

The dealer cannot see WHAT flashed the car... Only that it was flashed. If you go in for any engine/electrical/mechanical work... flash it back to stock before you take it in.

#3 ·
It's pretty simple, if you are worried about your warranty, don't mod the car at all. Dealerships can tell if you're used an Accessport on the car anyways. Removing mods pretty much amounts to fraud and you'd be surprised how easy it is to tell when a car has recently been 'de-modded'.

#6 ·
"Proven" isn't exactly what has to happen. The ECU records a new serial number every time the car has been flashed. Granted, they cannot tell what was changed when using an AP (but they can with opensource because that serial number is 12 digits long and each one of the hexidecimal characters represents a parameter that was changed - Source: Technician at Subaru), but they can tell that it WAS flashed. In my case, with the flash that was done on my car, they could tell it was flashed, and not by a dealer, as they record it when they do stuff like that. The fact that it has been reflashed is enough that they could deny a warranty claim, if that was indeed the cause of the malfunction. If you've installed parts, it's usually not that hard to see that the bolts aren't lined up the exact way they originally sat, and other signs can point to removal/reinstallation of parts to cover up mods. The dealer's not always stupid to things like that.

I'm going to throw this out there. . . WRX and STi motors (especially STis) have been known to commonly blow ringlands and it's not necessarily caused by tuning or modifying the vehicle, but if you have done so, you aren't likely to get the rebuild covered. This I tell you from experience.

I figured I eventually was going to build my block to handle more, I'm just footing the bill for the rebuild now instead of later. It's been said a hundred times, but I agree so I'll say it too. You have to pay to play. Realize that if the most important thing is keeping your warranty, leave it exactly as it came from the factory. If you want the car to be better suited to your likes/driving style, you may have to go on the trust factor that you bought a good vehicle, but nothing is perfect and you stand a small risk of something not being covered by the dealer.

I don't think that running stage 2 is what absolutely caused my motor break down, but I do believe there were a couple factors, and I can't expect Subaru to pay for something I played a part in. Sure, I think that meeting in the middle somewhere would have been more ideal, but there's not much you can do to argue that point, as any part my fault = none of their liability.

#7 ·
well as stated by my frist post i dont own the car yet... is this actually a wize choice for me to buy? lol i kinda would hate to buy a tickin time bomb, it was between this car and the mazda speed 3 and any other sports mid 20k car.. i live in fla... so i wont be using the awd except for our insaine down pours we get, mostly i just love the 0 60 times for goosing it every once in a blue moon for a quick smile.... but i honestly herd here more than any other make about the engine failing more then anything lol

i mite just be paranoid, ### im close to sighing, but i would rather pt my 20+k in the rite spot, and only you guys can accurately tell me if this is a wize choice...

but my plans are as said above.. mainly stock only car DD

thanks for the tips

#8 ·
I recently bought my 11 wrx got it jan 11and already have 5000 miles on it 7 when I got it. I test drove a lot of different cars b4 I got my subaru. I also had a 07wrx that I bought brand new I love my subarus and would never hesitate or try to compare it to a mazda which I have also owned. you will definatly get the most bang for your buck out of a subaru and when you are ready to get rid of it your resale value will be much better than a mazda. As far as problems with the wrx sometimes stuff goes wrong with any car if you are worried about warranty stay stock. But as far as the mods you want to do it should not have problems. My 07 had a 18g turbo, huge TMIC, 750cc injectors, GM BCS, 255 fuel pump, tuned on 110 octane and I never had any problem at all except a popped tire from a pot hole which got me 4 free tires from my Warranty because the 1 new tire tread was more than 2/32nds off from the other three so they gave me 4 for free. So it all really depends on the dealer when it comes to warranty.
Dont hesitate get a wrx you wont be dissapointed.

#9 ·
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like it's a bomb waiting to explode. I'm just letting you know the risks of modding a car if you're biggest concern is the warranty. This is my 3rd Subaru, and I'll still buy another one. My 2 WRXes were great cars, and I put almost 40K on my '08 without a problem. I got the '02 to 65K and all I replaced was a serpentine belt. They're awesome, and I apologize for giving a different view. I was just emphasizing that there are risks you have to come to terms with if you want to modify it. I would still do it again, all things considered, and Mazda, Mitsubishi, and any other brand will give you crap for modifying the car. They warranty it in factory form. When you change stuff, you risk that warranty. That's all. Buy the Subaru.

#10 ·
Have to agree with you guys, get the wrx. if you have warranty concerns keep it stock. As already stated good idea on any new car that you are going to buy if you have a concern. All told I have had seven subura's including my wrx and all have been solid dependable car's. Modding is a personal choice, for me most of that will come after my warranty is up if i am still inclined. I have got most of it out of my system with previous cars. Anyways, don't be afraid to get the wrx. they are great little cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.