• 1 Post By arcticscythe
  • 2 Post By mosc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-17-2014, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

jakeblue187 is an unknown
2014 WRX AP V3 warranty void

Hey guys,
New to the forum and the WRX world. Just purchased a 2014 WRX three weeks ago here in Clarksville. I have blacked out the windows, installed a roof rack and mud flapped it out with some rally sports. I have 1500 miles on it and i have been debating putting a Access Port V3 on there now for about five days, only thing that scares me is voiding the warranty... I paid 31,000 for this car and I enjoy the feeling of knowing if anything should happen i can take it in... so my question is should I put the tuner on there and just stage 1 it? or am i taking to much of a risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2014, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
I'm pretty sure once you alter the manufacture tune. You'll void the warranty. Someone correct me if im wrong ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Epictofer likes this.
#3 Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It doesn't really magically void it...they have to prove it caused the failure or they could just fall back on old faithful and say that you raced/abused it. Still denying warranty work with no mods....
09bluewrx likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
It doesn't really magically void it...they have to prove it caused the failure or they could just fall back on old faithful and say that you raced/abused it. Still denying warranty work with no mods....
What I meant Is that there is a bigger chance that it'll void the warranty,

#5 Old 02-17-2014, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Well, yeah...it gives them extra ammo. But, if they don't feel like fixing it...they'll try to weasel out of it one way or another.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#6 Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
It can't void the warranty, but it gives them near free reign to decline many costly power and drivetrain warranty requests. They don't really have to prove the changes caused it, they just need to be able to show reasonable doubt. Only install it if you're willing to assume responsibility for the risks involved. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
turmic likes this.
#7 Old 02-18-2014, 06:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just wait it out.
#8 Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

McTiki is an unknown
Re-flash that buggy! I have a 2013 with the STG1 AP installed. I've had it back to the dealership 2x for routine maintenance without issue.

You already spent 700..... you gonna just stare at it? or wait until 30K miles?

McTiki
#9 Old 02-18-2014, 07:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeblue187 View Post
Thanks guys. I guess I'll just wait it out.

Chances of the Cobb ap hurting your car are less then the oem stock tune hurting your car. There have been more proven cases of the stock tune being way more dangerous then the Cobb ap stage 1/2 tune.

09bluewrx likes this.
#10 Old 02-18-2014, 09:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

pjkatz04 is an unknown
Obvious question--why don't you ask your dealer how they'll respond, and go from there? It's all conjecture until you know.
#11 Old 02-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
You can ask the dealer but unless you get it in writing you never know what could happen when the time comes to have the work done they can still turn you away or accept based on what's wrong

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#12 Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Epictofer is an unknown
the pcm has a flash counter. everytime you reflash the pcm it counts it. if you have internal engine or turbo issues, or catalytic converter issues the dealer will check this flash counter to see if a tune could have effected what was damaged. so no it doesnt void your warranty as a whole, but if you have problem with items that the tune has an effect on, they can deny your claim.
#13 Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
@jakeblue187 it is impossible to " VOID YOUR WARRENTY" but there is a possibility that they may deny a claim against your warrenty if they determine that your new V3 install / tune caused the problem.The fear that a dealership can "VOID" your entire warranty has been perpetuated by people all over the internet complaining that the dealership is denying a claim due to their actions.

@ Epictofer, you are absolutely right, At the same time every mod you do to the car gives the dealership an out they they may be able to use to deny a claim, If a speaker were to go out and you have an upgraded head unit they could deny your warren claim because your head unit may have overpowered the speakers.

Af far a stage 1 tunes are concerned there are a lot of people who would suggest that the stage 1 tune is better/safer for your engine than the OEM tune but you are introducing something different from stock and they might be less than willing to help if something were to go wrong.

My advice, Break her in completely, Learn how she drives, how she corners, how she handles, what makes her happy and what makes her mad. When you know her well ( read 5,000-10,000 Miles) then take care of any nagging issues like soft factory swaybars and bushings and finally install that V3 and tune for more power : )
Epictofer likes this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#14 Old 02-18-2014, 02:23 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
If you blow your engine they'll claim abuse, mods won't matter. Just saying.
turmic and arewmors like this.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#15 Old 02-18-2014, 05:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thank you guys so much. @McTiki , I haven't bought it yet. no way would I drop 700 and not use it hahaha.