2009 Cobb Access Port - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-15-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
2009 Cobb Access Port

I just got this deal from Perrin which included one of their custom maps (which seems almost exactly like the Cobb one with some timing adjustments). I installed it last night and took some test drives. Target max boost is 18PSI, but it's only hit just a hair over 15... I haven't tried the cobb stage 2 map yet, but I spoke with support from Perrin and will have to log a few pulls so he can check it out and make adjustments to the map if necessary.

Question is; Has anyone else had this type of occurrence with uploading maps into a newer WRX? I thought it might take the ECU a little bit to relearn some stuff, but was informed it should be hitting max boost right off the bat. Map issue then I guess? Everything is up-to-date and successful in all attempts to change anything. Just looking for anyone's experience with the access ports and what might be going on. Otherwise it seems all good with the timing adjustments and whatnot, just a few PSI short on target boost. I'll upload the data log once I get it if anyone wants to see what's going on.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-15-2009, 05:45 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You should be hitting target boost right after downloading the map. I change my map(s) occasionally from 16PSI all the way up to 20PSI w/my AP. If Im on the road running 16 PSI and hitting it, then decide to switch to 20PSI immediately after the loading of the map is done Im hitting 20PSI. Hopefully you can get the longs and Perrin can help you out. Good luck man.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 9 Old 10-15-2009, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
Did you do a warm up cycle?

IE dry with no wide open throttle until warm, then stop and turn the key off for 10 seconds. Sfter that, you whould see the boost.

If not, the DBW in the 08+ will not allow proper throttle mapping. Reload the map and do the above and I would think you'd be fine.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #4 of 9 Old 10-16-2009, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks for the info guys. Chris at Perrin also said I should be hitting target boost right off the bat. I've recorded almost a dozen logs now, but the new problem is getting into them, lol. I go into the AP manager, open the advanced settings, then.... I can't do anything but look at the logs date and size! Downloaded them and then can't find the program that created it b/s. How do I get to look at the information recorded?

And it did jump up to 16 PSI max with full boost, but still isn't 18. That's on my Omori gauge though and it's right on. Between the gauge and the AP monitoring there is a HUGE difference. The AP sees like 17-18 (only see it breifly since I can't read the logs) while the gauge is at 15-16PSI. Also when idling I have 22 inches of Hg on the Omori, where as the AP see's -10 PSI. Since I've had the gauge installed for awhile now and since all was stock I know the stock settings where right on where they should have been and it's zero'd out so I can't see where the difference is between the two, but it's there and it's drastic to me. If the AP see's 18 and the Omori see's 16, then I guess the AP believe's I'm at target boost... I may have to look into the lines on the gauge then and also find out where the heck the AP is getting it's reading so I can get the real deal.

Oh, and I reflashed it twice to check Ratfink, and used the "vishnu" method of not hitting boost at all until you get to a nice flat and get up to 3,500 rpm's and hold for 10 seconds. It seems to work, but never hit over 16 PSI boost. /shrug

Any info on how to check the logs would be great! Thanks guys
post #5 of 9 Old 10-17-2009, 02:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

OBEE_Racing is an unknown
I also got a tuned map from Perrin. My target is 17.5 he said and im hitting 19.5 but that was after a couple days. It seemed like the ecu did do some learning after the tune. im not sure but thats what my expirence was with my 2008WRX and my accessport. My guess for my situation is i wasnt sure that maybe because I got a larger TMIC maybe the boost was higher.idk. He told me to take out my boost controller because that would just make it a headache matching the levels. Did you do that also?
post #6 of 9 Old 10-17-2009, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I haven't taken out the boost controller, but I'm not over boosting, I'm hitting 16 max with an 18 target. I plan on having the pro tune done soon and add the 3 port boost control solenoid to dial it in, but I'm not sure why it's not hitting what it should with the Perrin map. I am almost ready to reflash to the Cobb stg. 2 map and see if it hits target.

I did find the hidden files so I can now upload the data logs and it's reading those numbers right along with the boost gauge I have (but actually I didn't think I was hitting 16 so it's a touch higher with the AP readings). Chris at Perrin said he'd look at the logs again on Monday. He wants me to do some pulls from 2,000 rpm's to redline and I sent him a couple that start at 2,200... Whatever, I'm still not hitting target boost and didn't realize it made that much of a difference, but I'll do what he asks so he will fix the map to run properly, lol.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-17-2009, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

That boost controller can keep your boost lower than your target as well if thats where its set, but yah let us all know how it turns out man! It must be something with how Perrin writes their maps because yours is hitting 2psi too low and mine is hitting 2psi to high.haha. odd.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-21-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I mentioned that mine is low and "another" guy says his Perrin map is hitting high PSI from target, to Chris at Perrin. He's looking into it and checking the set up. Where is the boost controller? Once I get all my ducks in a row I'm going to have the pro tune with a 3 port EBCS from Grimmspeed. Will the boost controller still effect the proper amount of boost if I have that installed?
post #9 of 9 Old 10-29-2009, 01:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

He told me my boost controller will make it harder to control the boost. (aftermark PERRIN manual boost controller). Now what I did when I got my AP port. I put the old tubes back in to the turbo waste gate and in one of the tubes is a little pill the controls the boost set on the ecu. Thats all I know. I dont know anything about protuning or 3 port EBCS. sorry.

Chris - 2008 WRX sedan w/ vf52 setup now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement