2007 WRX Stage 2+ Pro Tune - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-22-2011, 09:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
2007 WRX Stage 2+ Pro Tune

2007 WRX
Tuned on 12/17/11 by Jorge Carrillo (of P&L Motorsports) at IAG Performance

238 whp, 308 tq

"Power" Mods:
Cobb AccessPORT V2
Cobb downpipe (w/ high flow catalytic converter)
HKS Hi-Power Carbon-Ti cat back
GP Moto intake silencer delete elbow
GrimmSpeed 3 port electronic boost control solenoid
GrimmSpeed ceramic coated high flow crosspipe
GrimmSpeed ported/polished/ceramic coated stock headers
K&N drop-in panel filter
NGK Iridium stock heat range (LFR6AIX-11) spark plugs, gapped to 0.030"
Perrin lightweight crank pulley
Turbo XS top mount intercooler (w/ silicone pipes)
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump

The increase in power from Cobb's Stage 2, 93 Octane off the shelf map to this isn't huge, but it's definitely noticeable. The thing I like the most is how much smoother and quicker the car feels when the power kicks in.
Attached Images

John
07 WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-22-2011, 11:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Awesome. I'm sure thats very satisfying to finally have gotten done. I think those are solid numbers for a stock turbo.

Thoughts on the Perrin pulley? I've had one lying around for a year and never put it in. Since this Subaru is for keeps, Im considering it. How do you like it John?

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#3 Old 12-23-2011, 06:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Thanks! It definitely is satisfying. My goal for the tune wasn't to post huge numbers, but rather to improve driveability and safely maximize power with my specific setup and that's exactly what I did. Before the tune, I believe I was experiencing some wastegate flutter and it was noticeably sluggish and almost jerky when I accelerated, but now it feels almost completely smooth. The power hits sooner and holds a bit longer, so I'm very happy with it.

After holding them in my hands, the difference in weight between the stock crank pulley and the Perrin lightweight pulley is pretty amazing - several pounds at least. I'm convinced it does something (reduces rotational weight), but I honestly didn't notice any major difference in driveability once I installed it.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 12-23-2011, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Nice and I really dig these cars in black...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 12-25-2011, 12:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Nice curve John except the drop off... Why?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 12-25-2011, 07:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
because the stock turbo runs out of gas lol

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#7 Old 12-25-2011, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

^ What he said. I need to start doing some serious reading about turbos now.

John
07 WRX
#8 Old 12-26-2011, 10:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Tq is always going to drop off hard and yeah the smaller turbos will drop off because the increased rpms will run the turbo past its efficiency range. You can taper off the psi like crazy and it'll still run over. Meh, its a trade off. Either get spool like a mother or get a turbo that pulls hard to redline. There are some nice turbos in the middle of the two trade offs.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#9 Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
HAHA... I was looking at the Tq curve and thought it was the Hp curve... sorry

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#10 Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Nice! We have similar mods, you just have PnP headers. I have yet to dyno, but would hope to crack ~220-230 bench racing. Do you have WB02? I think I may jump on this next...

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#11 Old 12-27-2011, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

I thought about getting a wideband O2 gauge, but decided against it since I don't use my gauges for specific tuning purposes - they're mostly for show and general monitoring. I have three gauges on a Lotek triple a-pillar pod which came painted light grey and it actually matches the rest of my interior pillar covers quite nicely:

Prosport 52 mm green/white premium electric boost
Prosport 52 mm green/white premium exhaust gas temperature
Prosport 52 mm green/white premium oil pressure

Those numbers sound pretty reasonable. I'm anxious to see the results of your tune.

John
07 WRX
#12 Old 12-27-2011, 11:41 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I dont tune with my car, but I have a wideband A/f. After all the reading and research, knowing/watching your a/f is a good way to know that your car is happy and in fine working order. But thats just what I got out of reading and asking around. I also have an EGT, and oil pressure gauge in my car. My AP acts as my boost gauge if I really want to see that Im hitting max PSI.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 12-28-2011, 01:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
the location of the peak/hump of your torque curve suggests to me that your car is fun to drive in everyday situations...

I'm always fascinated at the difference in dyno readings (engine characteristics) between the 2.0L and 2.5L engines. Maybe it is better described as "torque envy".

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#14 Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Those numbers sound pretty reasonable. I'm anxious to see the results of your tune.
After reading your upgrades, you have me really wanting the GrimmSpeed port/ceramic exhaust mani set up with the hi-flow cross over pipe. May invest in that next spring/summer. Maybe I can do a baseline of where I am now, then throw that stuff on and get a re-tune to see if it's ~15hp difference they have noted. Also, did you have to tighten down your WG arm like they recommended?

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...kiokk8bvc0v4f1
Quote:
You may need to tighten your turbo wastegate arm because of the higher flow. Start by tightening the wastegate one full turn and then test where you are at. Repeat if necessary.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#15 Old 12-28-2011, 05:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I dont tune with my car, but I have a wideband A/f. After all the reading and research, knowing/watching your a/f is a good way to know that your car is happy and in fine working order. But thats just what I got out of reading and asking around. I also have an EGT, and oil pressure gauge in my car. My AP acts as my boost gauge if I really want to see that Im hitting max PSI.
Hmmmmmmmmmm..........

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...