Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   2007 WRX Stage 1 Setup (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/2007-wrx-stage-1-setup-33152/)

jones1lv 10-14-2012 04:09 AM

2007 WRX Stage 1 Setup

I have a quick question, I am looking at buying a 2007 WRX and since I'm impatient I was looking at some mods that I could do. Currently it is stock and what I was looking at was getting the COBB Accessport, Invidia V2 downpipe, and the Invidia Racing Series Cat Back and then flashing to Stage 1. My questions are;

1. Am I missing something important as far as mod path, as far as I can find I don't need an up pipe since this model has one that is un-catted?

2. Am I limiting with just going to Stage 1 meaning am I close to Stage 2 with the COBB maps? If so what am I missing?

3. Should I get the Accessport and just go suspension first, and what does that mod path look like?

4. Opinions on the PERRIN maps that come with the Accessport if purchased there?

Anything will help I'm looking at spending around $1300 and that is where I'm at with the original setup I mentioned.

Thanks ahead of time.

BLAZE2099 10-14-2012 09:02 AM

Intake and stage 2. Than concentrate on suspension.
Just my .02

BoostinChick 10-14-2012 11:41 AM

^ What him said.

If you are getting a complete exhaust, you HAVE to go Stage 2. Stage 1 is only the cat-back exhaust and flash. You don't need an intake. The stock one can support a good amount of HP.

IMHO, you should check the service records against the mileage and make sure all the regulatory maintenance has been done and nothing needs to be fixed, or spruced up. Depending on the mileage, and how the car has been through real winters, the bushings could be worn. Drive it and enjoy it stock, so you get a really good feeling for how the car handles and responds. My first mod (if you are still hard pressed to modify it right away) would be a boost gauge and wideband.

pzr2874 10-14-2012 12:10 PM

OP, how do you know it's stock?

jones1lv 10-14-2012 02:20 PM

Hey thanks guys and girls, originally I was thinking of getting the intake along with everything else but then I was reading that a pro tune should probably go with it, is that correct? Now that I'm reading about widebands it seems pretty smart to upgrade that O2 sensor, I will definitely throw that on there also. Keeping it stock for a while might be a good idea just in case something pops up but I also only put on about 6 k a year. I know that it is stock from what he told me and from what I can see. I had a list of things to check. Thanks for the replies.

BLAZE2099 10-14-2012 03:22 PM

I have seen a few of our guys that run the Cobb air box set up. It looks and sounds to be the beez kneez;)

man show 10-14-2012 03:41 PM

Before modding anything, make sure all maintenance is up to date. Every 30k (give or take) is a semi-major maintenance milestone. Check out this link: [url=http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html#2000Maintenance]Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...[/url]

When all the maintenance is complete, make sure you have a good set of tires (or two). You should get winter tires since you live in Colorado and almost certainly see a fair amount of snow and summer tires for the warmer months. Two sets of wheels make switching much easier and it also gives you an option if you happen to damage a tire beyond repair since all four must be replaced at the same time (or kept within 1-2/32" of each other). Tires must be the exact same size, brand, and type - no mixing and matching.

Then...

1. Buy a K&N panel air filter and GP Moto intake silencer delete elbow (or make your own... search: Snorkus Delete Mod), install them, done.

2. Buy the Cobb AccessPORT V2 and flash to Stage 1 immediately, enjoy smoother power delivery, done.

3. Buy any cat back you like, bolt it on, done.

4. Buy a bellmouth downpipe, bolt it on and flash to Stage 2, done.

5. Buy rear and/or front sway bars and endlinks, bolt them on, done.

That's the basic recipe for a fun "Stage 2" WRX. Some people like to get a pro tune immediately after installing the downpipe, but it's not particularly necessary if you're not looking to squeeze every last little bit of power out of the car. If you're just daily driving it, any reputable OTS (off the shelf) or generic Stage 2 map should be fine. If you plan to drive the car hard, you might want to consider a pro tune.

jones1lv 10-14-2012 04:40 PM

[quote=man show;286780]Before modding anything, make sure all maintenance is up to date. Every 30k (give or take) is a semi-major maintenance milestone. Check out this link: [url=http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html#2000Maintenance]Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...[/url]

When all the maintenance is complete, make sure you have a good set of tires (or two). You should get winter tires since you live in Colorado and almost certainly see a fair amount of snow and summer tires for the warmer months. Two sets of wheels make switching much easier and it also gives you an option if you happen to damage a tire beyond repair since all four must be replaced at the same time (or kept within 1-2/32" of each other). Tires must be the exact same size, brand, and type - no mixing and matching.

Then...

1. Buy a K&N panel air filter and GP Moto intake silencer delete elbow (or make your own... search: Snorkus Delete Mod), install them, done.

2. Buy the Cobb AccessPORT V2 and flash to Stage 1 immediately, enjoy smoother power delivery, done.

3. Buy any cat back you like, bolt it on, done.

4. Buy a bellmouth downpipe, bolt it on and flash to Stage 2, done.

5. Buy rear and/or front sway bars and endlinks, bolt them on, done.

That's the basic recipe for a fun "Stage 2" WRX. Some people like to get a pro tune immediately after installing the downpipe, but it's not particularly necessary if you're not looking to squeeze every last little bit of power out of the car. If you're just daily driving it, any reputable OTS (off the shelf) or generic Stage 2 map should be fine. If you plan to drive the car hard, you might want to consider a pro tune.[/quote]

Wow thanks a lot copy and saved that.

pzr2874 10-14-2012 05:24 PM

I needed to post it in [COLOR="PaleGreen"]green or [/COLOR][COLOR="PaleGreen"]what[/COLOR]?

jones1lv 10-15-2012 09:31 AM

^^ Hey sorry I looked for all the signs of modifications and he told me there was none, trusted him.

So here's the plan, maybe, filter, snorkle delete, Cobb accessport for stage 1 then stage 2, for the Invidia V2 Downpipe Bellmouth w/ 2 Bungs for a wide band O2 sensor because that sounds fun. Might leave the rest of the exhaust stock so I'm not waking up the neighbors, I work night shift. Just not sure whether to go catted or catless because they are insane here in Co. Kind of feel like catted would be a waste of money because I would still fail the visual. This is the cheaper way so that way I will $$ for the "oh shit" fund.

Let me know what you guys/girls think. Thanks.

BoostinChick 10-15-2012 10:13 AM

Why would you still fail the visual with a catted DP? I have a hi-flow cat, and have passed emissions for PA. Mine is also a daily, and I didn't feel like wanting to smell like gas or having black smoke clouds during WOT. I am sure my thought process will change once I actually upgrade my turbo set up.

man show 10-15-2012 11:52 AM

[quote=BoostinChick;286817]Why would you still fail the visual with a catted DP? I have a hi-flow cat, and have passed emissions for PA. Mine is also a daily, and I didn't feel like wanting to smell like gas or having black smoke clouds during WOT. I am sure my thought process will change once I actually upgrade my turbo set up.[/quote]

I completely agree :sneaky:

If you have a catted downpipe, it's nice to be able to mentally rehearse the discussion you might have with a police officer or emissions employee if you happen to get harrassed for having an aftermarket exhaust, but it's probably an argument you'd end up losing in the end. Fortunately, I don't have any first hand experience with that.

In the past five years, I've had both catted and catless downpipes on my WRX. Early in the modding process when I had the Cobb catted DP and Cobb AP OTS map, I liked the idea of being somewhat legal with the cat and being able to revert back to stock relatively easily. Now that my car is pretty heavily modified, I like the catless DP for the mod list bragging factor, added performance, and I actually enjoy the smell of the raw exhaust.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably have gone catless from the beginning... just saying.

pzr2874 10-15-2012 12:42 PM

Cat's do fail.

BoostinChick 10-15-2012 12:52 PM

[quote=pzr2874;286826]Cat's do fail.[/quote]This is absolutely true, they do fail. But that can be said with just about any mechanical part on a vehicle...technically :cool:

I bought my MadDad used and have had it on my car for just about 3-years no issues with emissions and inspection. Since I am AWD, mine is an idle sniff test. When I used to live in AZ with a FWD vehicle I had to go on a dyno and they tested during WOT.

In the end decision is yours. There are pro's and con's to both. Since I am only Stage 2 I decided to stick with a catted downpipe for the reasons I posted above. I am sure my exhaust decision will change once I upgrade the turbo set up.

mosc 10-15-2012 02:14 PM

When you drive catless, the person behind you (and likely the person behind them) get to smell your exhaust. If you are not a juvenile d-bag, you'll put a cork in it. Maybe you want me to look at your car and scoff at how immature you are. If so, go catless.