Subaru WRX Forum banner

2004 sti tuning.

6K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  titter 
#1 ·
I just got a 2004 sti a couple days ago, and previous owner got a TBE, he must clear the code or something because it's throwing the p1153 code, and my car runs like crap when CEL comes on. I live in Michigan and there is not much import tuning around me. So is there anyway around it so CEL don't pop up again or if anybody know a good tuning can flash my ECU for me around GR? I want to get a open source tune but the shop want to charge me 180 or the inspection and 450 for dyno. I won't have the money for 2 weeks and it's my only car and I don't want to screw it up! Thanks guys!

#2 ·
try this post...
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/p1153-29014/

from what the post says the guy had to replace an o2 sensor. might be as simple as that. i usually dont post about mech issues, but if youyr car is running bad maybe its just that. otherwise youre right and the guy didnt have a tune on it for the tbe. are u suer there was no previous tune on the car? if thats the case you can always get a an e tune (much cheaper) torqued performance qouted me an stage 2 etune for 85 bucks. if u have an access port or tactrix cable. or a simple stage 2 tune would fix that if thats the only mod. good luck!

#3 ·
+1 for togue e-tune

you will need a laptop and a tactrix cable to flash your open source to your car. im assuming you dont have a cobb ap or else you probably would not have this problem.

you will also need romraider and ecuflash which are shareware.

https://sites.google.com/site/asubienewbietuningguide/ver-1-0

#5 ·
honestly it depends how often your modding your car and how mechanically inclined you are. if you gonna buy a buncha mods slap them on and tune once, then dont bother with an AP. sure the logging capabilities are nice, but you wont need them with a proper protune done correctly.

i say mechanically inclined, because the AP is straight forward and very user friendly. its made simple for people who dont know alot about cars. if your savvy then i wouldnt bother with the AP. tuning your own car can be difficult, but flashing an e-tune with a laptop and tactrix is just as simple as flashing through an AP and alot cheaper. pretty sure you can log with romraider as well, you just have to have your laptop with you in the car instead of a sleek iPod looking thing. you can grab a $200 laptop and a $75 tactrix and then $100-150 for e-tune. ~$375-$475 total which is half the price of a new AP.

but if your going to mod your car slowly over a few years, feeling out each mod and how it responds, then a cobb AP would be great so you wont have to pay an e-tuner every time u add parts. you'll just be using thier "off-the-shelf" maps. some say they arent the greatest (and i agree) but they work and will run your car safely.

#6 ·
Keep in mind that e-tuning also requires the purchase of a wideband O2 sensor. I do NOT recommend e-tuning if you live within several hours of a reputable tuner. You will get 10 fold better results from an in-person tune than one over the internet. You really should avoid email tunes unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Your choice of engine management really should be left up to whoever you will have tuning the car. You want them to be using whatever they are most comfortable tuning the car with.

#8 ·
well specifically that code is related to the O2 sensor. so theres a possibility the AP wont solve your problem.
i found this for ya, go though this check list if you havent done these thing already and see if the code is still there.

List of Diagnostic Trouble Code p1153
(DTC)”. <Ref. to EN(H4DOTC)(diag)-69, List of DiagnosticTroubleCode (DTC).>

CHECK FRONT OXYGEN (A/F) SENSOR DATA.
1) Start engine.
2) While observing the Subaru Select Monitor or OBD-II general scan tool screen, warm-up the engine until coolant temperature is above 75°C (167°F). If the engine is already warmed-up, operate at idle speed for at least 1 minute.
3) Read data of front oxygen (A/F) sensor signal using Subaru Select Monitor or OBD-II general scan tool.

NOTE:
• Subaru Select Monitor
For detailed operation procedure, refer to the “READ CURRENT DATA FOR ENGINE”. <Ref. to EN(H4DOTC)(diag)-27, Subaru Select Monitor.>
• OBD-II general scan tool
For detailed operation procedures, refer to the OBD-II general scan tool instruction manual. Is the measured value within 0.86 — 1.15 at idle?

CHECK REAR OXYGEN SENSOR SIGNAL.
1) Race engine at speeds from idling to 5,000 rpm for a total of 5 cycles.
NOTE:
To increase engine speed to 5,000 rpm, slowly depress accelerator pedal, taking approximately 5 seconds, and quickly release accelerator pedal to decrease engine speed.
2) Operate the LED operation mode for engine.
NOTE:
• Subaru Select Monitor
For detailed operation procedure, refer to the “LED OPERATION MODE FOR ENGINE”. <Ref. to EN(H4DOTC)(diag)-27, Subaru Select Monitor.>
Does the LED of {Rear O2 Rich Signal} blink? Check front oxygen (A/F) sensor circuit. Check rear oxygen sensor circuit. <Ref. to FU(H4DOTC)-37, Rear Oxygen Sensor.>

CHECK EXHAUST SYSTEM.
Check exhaust system parts.
NOTE:
Check the following items.
• Loose installation of portions
• Damage (crack, hole etc.) of parts
• Looseness of front oxygen (A/F) sensor
• Looseness and ill fitting of parts between front oxygen (A/F) sensor and rear oxygen sensor

Is there any fault in exhaust system? Repair or replace faulty parts. Replace front oxygen (A/F) sensor. <Ref. to FU(H4DOTC)-35, Front Oxygen (A/ F) Sensor.>

#9 ·
Thanks for that info titter. I appreciate it. And I'm thinking about taking it to a shop and just get a open source tune and hopefully they will be able to fix it, but my car runs like crap when the check engine light is on tho. I can tell the difference.

#12 ·
I don't know how to do pictures, but i decide I'm gonna buy a ap because I'm thinking about a front mount and bigger fuel pump and bigger injectors. And I just hope it turns the code off, one open source and pro tune company quoted me 1700 for a Cobb and up pipe and pro tune. Yeah, I just got the car, little short on money but I do want the car to run right tho. Now my friend is helping me get someone tune it for me on the side, just computer and re map it without dyno, is that sound safe or not?

#16 ·
I don't know, I went look at post and forms about the code p1153 for a hour now, some say it's front sensor and other say the car is running too lean or too rich, I noticed my car was running rich too, 6 gear 3k rpm, my afr is like around 11. Is that bad for the car? I'm pretty new in the cars. Ps. Some other time the reading could be at 14.

#22 · (Edited)
11 is fine... rich, but fine.
14.7 is the stoichiometric value of what the perfect ratio is for fuel to burn. any higher is considered "lean" and can start detonation and other problems.

cobb ots maps are notoriously rich to keep your car safe.

What Is the Proper Air / Fuel Ratio - CarsDirect

#17 ·
i just got my car dynoed and the rear o2 sensor threw a similar check engine light, (different code tho) as soon as the car started it threw the code. when it was cleared it came right back on. it had to be "tuned out" by setting the map to not sense the code. but the rear o2 sensor shouldnt cause the car to run bad, from what i understand its the front o2 sensor. with the catless exhaust im pretty sure that the rear o2 sensor is deleted, and will throw a code, but the car should still run ok. also is the catless tbe the only mod? either way u should find out if there is already a tune on it and if not get one asap. hope this helps. :nerd:

#20 ·
^ this

Yeah, I'm ordering my Cobb accessport tomorrow and going to run stage 2 map, the car is in limp mode right now due to the cel, it's annoying because really bad throttle response and not hitting full boost, but I guess it's better than blowing up my motor. And I will let everyone know if that clears the code or not, if not, I'm just gonna have to change out the front o2 and see if that do the trick.
and just curious, did you get a quote over the phone or did you bring the car in? just wondering why they wanted to sell you an up pipe.

#19 ·
Yeah, I'm ordering my Cobb accessport tomorrow and going to run stage 2 map, the car is in limp mode right now due to the cel, it's annoying because really bad throttle response and not hitting full boost, but I guess it's better than blowing up my motor. And I will let everyone know if that clears the code or not, if not, I'm just gonna have to change out the front o2 and see if that do the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.