1st mod: increase boost???? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-26-2003, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TexRex2002 is an unknown
1st mod: increase boost????

Hello. I have a bone stock rex, and was wondering if the easiest mod ification wouldn't be to just increase turbo boost somehow? Is there a valve or something that vents excess pressure that can be adjusted to hold just a little more pressure before opening? You can tell i'm new to this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-28-2003, 11:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Sphinx1 is an unknown
I am some what new to the turbo subies as well. From what I have found through research, asking different vendors & people who own them, increasing boost would not be the first & easiest thing to do. With out proper mods to exhaust system, intercooler, etc., you won't get the results your looking for. You may do more damage than good.
Keep asking around. Don't go by what one person says.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-30-2003, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
Upgrade your Turbo Back Exhaust and Uppipe first (also install a turbo timer). Then change your ECU (flash or UTEC) then change your boost and intercooler.

Hope this helps.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-01-2003, 12:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXXX is an unknown
K has it right

With the turbo back, uppipe and a utec(turbo xs) you should be putting down about 315-ish horsies! BTW you can buy this as a package from turbo xs for $2100 minus the uppipe and they claim 309 hp! Spank Spank Spank, you'll be burning almost everyone you run into with a set up like that
post #5 of 9 Old 05-01-2003, 10:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

QuickShift is an unknown
Ya the stage 2 from XS is great my freind is runnin it in his 03 and man does it make a difference. Paid 22k for the wrx and went to turbo xs and had stage 2 installed he also has the downpipe.I am gnna buy my 2004 in May and have that put on.Best bang for the buck with resonable power.

GL
post #6 of 9 Old 05-01-2003, 08:11 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
OK, you admit you're new to this so let me warn you NOT TO MESS WITH BOOST! At least at first. you can simply turn up the boost with a turbo car but if you don't keep an eye on EGTs and AF ratios you're going to kill your engine very quickly. It's happened to others and it will be detectable when you try to get it covered under warantee.

Now with that out of the way, a turboback and uppipe with ECU reflash seems like a good route to go. Make sure you go to a reputable tuner to get your ECU reflash and you should be putting down a lot of power safely.

-Gerlando.
<a href=http://www.script-install.com>Script-Install.com</a> | <a href=http://www.enjoychuck.com>EnjoyChuck</a>
post #7 of 9 Old 05-12-2003, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TexRex2002 is an unknown
Hey thanks guys (& gals?). I've been looking at the TurboXS stage one and 2 kits, and think that that'll be the way I'll go. I have enough money ratholed from the wife for the Stage 1 (UTEC only), so maybe I'll simply get it first. Are enhanced Boost and EGT guages necessary for just that? I understand that the stock boost guage isn't good enough. is there a cost effective, accurate replacement of the one mounted on my steereing column? Is there an EGT guage of similar appearance that I can mount on the left side of the steering column (for a symmetric look)?

Another thing, and I'll proabaly post this in FAQ's also: Is 1100 bucks a little high for a cat back exhaust and an up-pipe? it seems that that is the difference between TXS' satge 1 and stage2 kits...
post #8 of 9 Old 05-13-2003, 09:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Sphinx1 is an unknown
$1100, no. However, I almost purchased the same system because a friend of mine installed a turbo xs system & I was ALMOST hooked. But I did some research & found what I believe may be the best system out there for the money & performance. I purchased a Bosal system. Twin-dump down pipe, 3" cat back with dual tip & the DEEPEST sound out there. The sound is so unique, you won't believe it. But the performance is AWESOME. WHP is increased dramaticlly. Thick flanges, polished, high quality, perfect fit, the whole 9. My friend agrees after seeing & driving mine, I got the better deal. Price...under $800 for the whole system!
post #9 of 9 Old 05-13-2003, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Th3Franz is an unknown
What do you guys do to measure WHP? Are there AWD dynamometers near where you live? I'm not sure if there are any near me..

And oh yeah, do you have the link to where you got that from sphinx?

-Franz

f0 sh0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement