Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   11 WRX Torqued Performance tune issue? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/11-wrx-torqued-performance-tune-issue-33449/)

nrgjoel 01-04-2013 12:13 PM

11 WRX Torqued Performance tune issue?

Hey. New to the forum and new to turbo subies. I am having what appears to be a tuning issue with my new to me 2011 wrx sport wagon. Here is what I could gather from the previous owner as far as mods.

TurboXS turbo back exhaust w/cat
RacerX FMIC
Grimmspeed boost control soleniod
50/50 BOV (which I hate and will be switching to full recirc asap)
Upgraded fuel pump of unknown make
K&N Typhoon cold air intake

The car is currently running an off the shelf stage 3 Torqued Performance tune that was supposibly set up for the options listed. Currently running 19psi boost. This is how I got the car.

I am looking for advice as far as what I believe to be a tuning issue, but not being familiar with the car yet I am open to suggestions. So here is the issue...

Car hauls ass and makes great power after I found that the hose to the boost control solenoid was off at the turbo causing an overboost issue. Two issues.

#1 When on decel, the car will almost always stall when coming to a stop. It does not seem to make a difference if it is engine breaking or just a rapid throttle closure. When it does not stall is seems like it is hunting for the right fuel mixture. The idle bobbles and the afr's bounce between very rich and very lean which is disturbing. Almost like an 1g DSM with a bad throttle body is the best example I can give.

#2 but related to the first....I did NOT have the stalling problem when the hose was off the turbo. A local guy claims there could simply be an issue of the cold temps here and the cold air intake.

At the moment I do not have the Access Port that is married to the car. I am buying all parts he has for the car in one lump but just can't afford it for a bit.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

pzr2874 01-04-2013 12:26 PM

Start over.

1-Get an AP
2-Flash the correct stage
3-Take it to be tuned with AP

horrorbiz 01-04-2013 01:16 PM

That definitely seems like a lot of stuff to be running with an off the shelf map. I really would be much more comfortable with a pro-tune specifically for your car with all of that... especially on a relatively new car. If money is an issue, you could not buy the accessport and have an open source pro tune done.

brfatal 01-04-2013 02:10 PM

For clarification, are you running a base map for those mods or a OTS map? One you can run, the other you can't.

You probably have an intake tract leak. Usually that's something like a leaky BoV.

nrgjoel 01-04-2013 03:38 PM

[quote=horrorbiz;289247]That definitely seems like a lot of stuff to be running with an off the shelf map. I really would be much more comfortable with a pro-tune specifically for your car with all of that... especially on a relatively new car. If money is an issue, you could not buy the accessport and have an open source pro tune done.[/quote]

Yes it does seem like a bit much for a shelf map and I am not familiar with Torqued in any way though I may shoot them an email. I have had the car for 1 week today so it is very new to me. I do plan to buy the AP and assorted other parts from the orig owner in the next month or so but the down payment stretched me. I agree a pro tune is the way to go. It is on the short list. I suppose the safe bet is to park it for now.....:mad:

Thanks!

nrgjoel 01-04-2013 04:00 PM

[quote=brfatal;289248]For clarification, are you running a base map for those mods or a OTS map? One you can run, the other you can't.

You probably have an intake tract leak. Usually that's something like a leaky BoV.[/quote]

Unfortunately the link to the map he bought is on my work computer at the moment. It did appear to be a map built for what was on the car. I'm sure it is not optimal though. However what gets me is the fact that the stalling only started AFTER I reattached the line to from turbo to the BCS....the only line not clamped. It's not THAT hard to get to but apparently an oversight.

I will go over all the plumbing this weekend and double check everything. Is there any chance the MAF is freaking out due to the cold weather (mid 20's-33) in relation to the tune?

I found the list of current mods:

Engine:
[COLOR="Green"]-RacerX FMIC
-Grimmspeed EBCS
-Grimmspeed Heat Shield
-TurboXS Downpipe (Catted)
-TurboXS Catback
-K&N Typhoon intake ($200)
-GFB Respons BOV
The fuel pump is upgraded to a larger one but i forget the name, if i remember ill let you know.
[/COLOR]

I will post the link to the map tomorrow for reference. For now it will sit in the shop until I find the resolution.

The orig post was inaccurate as the BCS is a Grimmspeed piece, and the intake is K&N not AEM<facepalm>

Thanks for the input and any other suggestions!

nrgjoel 01-05-2013 02:03 PM

Here is the tune currently on the car.

[url=http://torquedperformance.com/2011-WRX-Stage-3-for-AccessPort-AP11STG3.htm]2011 WRX Stage 3[/url]

I will be checking for a leak today or tomorrow. Hopefully it is something that simple. At least that will get me by until I can get the AP from the previous owner and have it retuned.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.

Subxero 01-07-2013 10:14 PM

Find out if the previous owner got the stage 3 map E-tuned by, I think his name is Eric? i can't remember been awhile since i emailed him. But if you buy his stuff he will generally give you at least 1 or 2 free etunes if you send your data logs. I would contact him first, worth a shot.

good luck

nrgjoel 01-08-2013 11:38 AM

Thanks, I have been in touch with Eric and he was very helpful. More so than he had to be for sure.

In talking with him some ideas were brought up about possible mechanical issues and/or leaks that could cause the new stalling.

Although not exactly what he suggested it was near as makes no difference the same scenario. brfatal nailed it down first...
I am happy to say it was an easy fix. I checked all the plumbing for leaks. Ultimately I found the BOV was leaking on the atmosphere side due to the previous owner having the preload set at the lowest setting. The vacuum on decel was holding it open causing the stalling issue. A few turns and a couple of test drives and the problem seems to be resolved.

Thanks again everyone for your advice and input!!Thumbs Up