08-09 Ap & Cai - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-07-2009, 12:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Stevo198 is an unknown
08-09 Ap & Cai

After looking over all of the possible upgrade able to be made to my 08 WRX i realized that the only way to get a CAI with stage 2 is to get a protune. What's the deal with that. Apart from using opensource, it seems that the leading ECU tuner for the 08 is perhaps limiting the car's potential. I'm a little upset, but I would think they would work a CAI into their tune. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who wants Cobb to adjust their maps to be including an aftermarket intake, even if they limit it to just cobb or spt. is there any reasoning behind not making the maps compatible with a CAI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2009, 09:04 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo198 View Post
After looking over all of the possible upgrade able to be made to my 08 WRX i realized that the only way to get a CAI with stage 2 is to get a protune. What's the deal with that. Apart from using opensource, it seems that the leading ECU tuner for the 08 is perhaps limiting the car's potential. I'm a little upset, but I would think they would work a CAI into their tune. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who wants Cobb to adjust their maps to be including an aftermarket intake, even if they limit it to just cobb or spt. is there any reasoning behind not making the maps compatible with a CAI?
You have no idea the problems that intakes cause on MAF based cars using the type of Denso sensor Subaru and Toyota use.It is impossible to make 1 generic map that could work with any CAI you wanted to slap on your car.The problems with CAI is one of the most commonly discused problems on ANY Subaru site.Please try looking in the FAQ's or use the search function.

CobbTuning.com - Aftermarket Intakes

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#3 Old 03-07-2009, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Stevo198 is an unknown
I understand the issue of aftermarket intakes and how the differences can cause big problems. I guess you over looked the "even if they limit it to just cobb or spt." If cobb limited their tune to just their intake,assuming they could make an intake with the correct inner diameter and a turbulent free location to get a MAF reading, couldn't all 08's work with the CAI. The search I did just didn't give me the results I was looking for I guess, possible wrong keywords.
Thanks for that link; it was very helpful in understanding the issues and the solution to the problem.
#4 Old 03-07-2009, 07:06 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo198 View Post
If cobb limited their tune to just their intake,assuming they could make an intake with the correct inner diameter and a turbulent free location to get a MAF reading, couldn't all 08's work with the CAI.
Technically they already have.The Legacy GT intake should fit the 08-09 WRX's as they use the same airbox.I would email or call Cobb and see what they say.

#5 Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Stevo198 is an unknown
Just to finish this thread off, I'll post the email I got back from Cobb. Bad News

Steven,

Thank you for your interest in COBB Tuning. Due to the turn in the economy, we have suspended all research and development of new bolt-on parts. When this changes we will let you know.

Regards,

Gary Sheehan
Director of Marketing
COBB Tuning
#6 Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Man that sucks!!!
#7 Old 03-10-2009, 10:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Makes sense though from a business perspective. Why make some maps that are for other brands when you can make a map to help sell your own products? That's exactly what I would do.

But agreed, it does suck. A custom tune is still better than an OTS map so why not.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#8 Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

blackrex13 is an unknown
Contact Braden at XPT tuning, his maps are just as good or better than custom tune (he will also help fine maps for your car). he has maps for what your looking for (these are OpenSource). If you are going to get a CAI, i suggest the AEM unit. his maps are also designed to take advantage of this unit. Just use OpenSource.
#9 Old 03-12-2009, 09:13 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
If you do that, make sure you have some logging capability because the car will need to be checked. You can't just take map X and throw it on car Y unless you're very broad. If you want to maximize your potential, you need to be able to log results and adjust the map accordingly.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#10 Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

blackrex13 is an unknown
Mosc is right, you will need a Logger like RomRaider to data log with OpenSource. the 1st set of maps will be basic and will need fine tuning for particular cars. it is an Iterrative process. these maps are detuned slightly so that they will run on a wide range of vehicles with the given mods. but to truly tap your performance potential you need a good tuner. still in the end OpenSource will only cost you 180 for cable and ~50-70 for the tune process. much cheaper than 700 for AP and then another 500 for one time on a dyno (AP monopoly....)... our cars learn, and you find things out in the maps that dont show up the first 5 mins a map is on a car.
#11 Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrex13 View Post
Contact Braden at XPT tuning, his maps are just as good or better than custom tune
Uuumm....no.His maps are more aggressive than Cobb's but definatly are not going to produce better results than in person custom tuning.Especially if your putting a map on a car that has a undetected problem from parts put on by a backyard mechanic in training........

#12 Old 03-12-2009, 09:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Stevo198 is an unknown
I think I'm leaning towards Opensource. I just have to do a lot of reading now.