05 wrx new to tuning! - Subaru WRX Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8
SoSmoodit is an unknown
05 wrx new to tuning!

What's up everyone. I got some questions.
My 05 wrx has about 127,xxx miles and is still running pretty smoothly. Any suggestions to squeez some juice out of it? I got some new "Y" tube along with the rest of the inter cooler hoses coming in soon. I'm not a racer I would just like to get some more power. I heard some people talking about a stage 1 tune? Any suggestions ?
SoSmoodit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
wick'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 43
wick'd is an unknown
Cobb AP with supporting mods would be an easy route.
wick'd is offline  
#3 Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,341
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Stage one is not done for gaining max power. All it really does is smooth out the powerband.
brfatal is offline  
#4 Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8
SoSmoodit is an unknown
Do you think stage 1 would even be worth it?
SoSmoodit is offline  
#5 Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Alexmartynyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 42
Alexmartynyuk is an unknown
I have just finished tuning an 05 wrx. I targeted 15psi vs 13.5psi stock. My stage 1 tune does more than just make it drive smoother. There is a noticeable power difference, turbo spools up way quicker too, however its not as big of a difference as going stage 2. I would recommend getting a tactrix cable and getting an e tune or a road tune if you can find someone local that does it. wasting $600 for a stage 1 map from cobb is a waste of cash, one of my friends had a stage 1 tune on an 11wrx from cobb, he got rid of it and I open source tuned it for him, he said it was a night and day difference.
Alexmartynyuk is offline  
#6 Old 07-13-2012, 01:00 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8
SoSmoodit is an unknown
Thanks Alex I'll have to look into that. Sounds like something worth buying. How much more horse power you think I'll get out of the road tune and the tactrix cable you were talkin about?
SoSmoodit is offline  
#7 Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,341
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmartynyuk View Post
I have just finished tuning an 05 wrx. I targeted 15psi vs 13.5psi stock. My stage 1 tune does more than just make it drive smoother. There is a noticeable power difference, turbo spools up way quicker too, however its not as big of a difference as going stage 2. I would recommend getting a tactrix cable and getting an e tune or a road tune if you can find someone local that does it. wasting $600 for a stage 1 map from cobb is a waste of cash, one of my friends had a stage 1 tune on an 11wrx from cobb, he got rid of it and I open source tuned it for him, he said it was a night and day difference.
A stage 1 tune on an '09 or later WRX is the equivalent of a stage 2 tune on your car. While you will gain some power, they get a LOT more of it.

I agree that the AP is a waste of money just for stage 1.
brfatal is offline  
#8 Old 07-13-2012, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Alexmartynyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 42
Alexmartynyuk is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
A stage 1 tune on an '09 or later WRX is the equivalent of a stage 2 tune on your car. While you will gain some power, they get a LOT more of it.

I agree that the AP is a waste of money just for stage 1.
Correct, 09+ have the vf. I did an 11 stage 1 about a month ago, made 260whp in Airboy which is more than your typical 2.0 Stage 2 would ever make.
Alexmartynyuk is offline  
#9 Old 07-13-2012, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Alexmartynyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 42
Alexmartynyuk is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSmoodit View Post
Thanks Alex I'll have to look into that. Sounds like something worth buying. How much more horse power you think I'll get out of the road tune and the tactrix cable you were talkin about?
So I just ran the logs from that 05 through Airboy, 191whp and 194wtq, I forgot to log the stock tune to see what it makes but the car feels more alive for sure, I think a stock tune should make around 160-170whp. Again peak boost was 15psi tapering off to 12.9 at redline.
Alexmartynyuk is offline  
#10 Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
psinuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,059
psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmartynyuk View Post
I have just finished tuning an 05 wrx. I targeted 15psi vs 13.5psi stock. My stage 1 tune does more than just make it drive smoother. There is a noticeable power difference, turbo spools up way quicker too, however its not as big of a difference as going stage 2. I would recommend getting a tactrix cable and getting an e tune or a road tune if you can find someone local that does it. wasting $600 for a stage 1 map from cobb is a waste of cash, one of my friends had a stage 1 tune on an 11wrx from cobb, he got rid of it and I open source tuned it for him, he said it was a night and day difference.
What is this tactrix cable you speak of????
Any Cobb map is subject to not making as much power as this tune or that tune, but all in all it's still a good product and for most people it is more than they will ever need..

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
psinuse is offline  
#11 Old 07-14-2012, 12:35 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Alexmartynyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 42
Alexmartynyuk is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
What is this tactrix cable you speak of????
Any Cobb map is subject to not making as much power as this tune or that tune, but all in all it's still a good product and for most people it is more than they will ever need..
Tactrix Openport 2.0 this is a tactrix cable, it is used for datalogging, reading and writing your rom. The reason cobb maps don't make the same power on every car is because its a general map, each car is different, lets say one car has a bcs that will make 15psi with the targeted wastegate duty cycle on cobbs stage 1 map, another car might require higher wastegate duty cycle to hit the same 15psi in the same weather conditions, both cars will run the same timing but will run different boost which will result in different power. That is why a protune is the way to go, the tune is specific to the car.
Alexmartynyuk is offline  
#12 Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,341
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmartynyuk View Post
Tactrix Openport 2.0 this is a tactrix cable, it is used for datalogging, reading and writing your rom. The reason cobb maps don't make the same power on every car is because its a general map, each car is different, lets say one car has a bcs that will make 15psi with the targeted wastegate duty cycle on cobbs stage 1 map, another car might require higher wastegate duty cycle to hit the same 15psi in the same weather conditions, both cars will run the same timing but will run different boost which will result in different power. That is why a protune is the way to go, the tune is specific to the car.
He was being sarcastic. And a protune requires an AccessPort (just a terminology correction). While your point is correct, the reason Cobb maps leave so much room on the table is because they are so conservative as to cater so hundreds of cars, not just one specific one. They have to make one tune that works generically for all fuel qualities, elevations, and various stages of engine health.
brfatal is offline  
#13 Old 07-14-2012, 05:17 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
psinuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,059
psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
He was being sarcastic. And a protune requires an AccessPort (just a terminology correction). While your point is correct, the reason Cobb maps leave so much room on the table is because they are so conservative as to cater so hundreds of cars, not just one specific one. They have to make one tune that works generically for all fuel qualities, elevations, and various stages of engine health.
Yeah forgot to use the sarcasm emote....oh wait we don't have one....
Cobb use to have maps for cars who had trouble hitting there target boost, higher wastegate duty maps, not sure since I haven't used a Cobb AP in years. I always recommend people get a professional tune if they really want to get the most power out of their car. For some the Cobb AP works fine for them. Granted there are alot of things I recommend to people and they don't listen, but I digress..

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
psinuse is offline  
#14 Old 07-14-2012, 01:07 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Alexmartynyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 42
Alexmartynyuk is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
He was being sarcastic. And a protune requires an AccessPort (just a terminology correction). While your point is correct, the reason Cobb maps leave so much room on the table is because they are so conservative as to cater so hundreds of cars, not just one specific one. They have to make one tune that works generically for all fuel qualities, elevations, and various stages of engine health.
protune does not require an accessport, but there are cobb tuners out there that can protune using their cobb accesstuner software. The protune I was talking about is opensource.
Alexmartynyuk is offline  
#15 Old 07-14-2012, 06:52 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,341
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmartynyuk View Post
protune does not require an accessport, but there are cobb tuners out there that can protune using their cobb accesstuner software. The protune I was talking about is opensource.
A protune is specifically a tune for an AP made with Cobb's ProTuner software. Anything else is just a "custom tune".
brfatal is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On