Subaru WRX Forum banner

02 WRX stock dyno check

13K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
I purchased an 02 wrx about a week and half ago. I believed at the time it might have been modified because the muffler was done, it has an STI wing, STI badge, and STI shift knob.. But upon closer look, everything else is stock except the muffler. I immediately removed the STi badge.. that's silly.. But anyway it has 120k miles and I was curious about it so I had it dyno'd.

It was in Salem at Dan Judy's auto and Dan came down from his loft at the place once he heard a subaru and showed me his 02 with 420 hp and 3400 miles.. but that's another story. Anyway attached is the results. 178.5 max hp at 5800 rpm is not bad. But there's a flat spot between 4000 and 4500 that was unexplainable. Plus it seems to be misfiring or not running smoothly sometimes. The tech said he felt it struggling a bit while running the dyno on it also.

So they came to the conclusion that the previous owner never had the plugs done. Which also means that they probably (hopefully not) have not done the timing belt. Attached is the dyno, what you guys think? Can you explain the flat spot at 4-4.5 k?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
No idea on timing belt. I'm going to schedule the plugs and replace the timing belt at the same time. Bought from a dealer who bought from an auction. Car fax showed only 1 owner at least...

Fluids have been done and they all actually looked good except the man tranny. It was not terribly bad though.

Everything else has been done, except the code check. Guess I could have had them do that at the shop today.. oops.. Tires are new, brakes look good. Cept there's sometimes a slight shimmy when under hard braking. Figured it could be rotars..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.