Subaru WRX Forum banner

02 Gauge wiring/install info?

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  basco 
#1 ·
Hey guys I just got boost,oil,EGT gauges and the pod for the dash and was wondering if I can just use the clock wires to run the power,ground,illumi,and remote for the gauges?
I notice there are four wires to the clock harness but Im not sure if these are indeed the four wires I need to run the gauges or if I should just run my own wires?

The gauge wiring is piggybacked so I only need to run the four wires.

Also I read about installing the EGT sensor and everyone has there own way of doing it.
The easiest and most accurate reading from what Ive read is to tap into the manifold near #3.

Any opinions on this? :confused:

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
I tap into the fuse block when I install gauges, and your on the right track with the EGT but I like to tap into cyl 4 because it has a tendency to run lean on the stock fuel system

#3 ·
K ill get a fuse tap just to be safe and as for the rest of the wires I was thinking about just linking into the radio harness for the ground and illum since I know what the wire colors are there already.

As for tapping the manifold Im gonna drill the hole with the car running right to be safe so nothing falls in the manifold while drilling this should be the safest way to do it.

Thanks. !Thumbs Up

#7 ·
I'm actually starting to research this stuff too as I'll be doing the same thing when the weather warms up a bit.

I really like the fuse tap and piggyback method.

I think the boost and oil pressure gauges will be pretty easy, but I think when I do my EGT probe install, I'll do it similar to post #20: Gauge Installation Electrical Wiring Tips and Pics Defi and Others - NASIOC

Don't forget to use new gaskets when you reinstall everything.

Sort of looking forward to this job and sort of not.

#8 ·
Yeah piggyback makes it some much more easier.
Less mess of wires also.
The oil and boost are the cakewalk, Im not looking forward to messing with the manifold for the EGT though.
Kinda thinking about bringing the manifold to a shop and have them put it in and Ill just reinstall the manifold. Dont wanna risk cracking it, I dont always have the best of luck.
Yeah Ill def make sure to grab new gaskets first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.