Will a WRX clutch and flywheel work on a EJ257 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-26-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Will a WRX clutch and flywheel work on a EJ257

Ok so here it goes...about 2 months ago I just had my EJ207 rebuilt and a new clutch and flywheel installed...but about 2 weeks ago it started acting funny and I just got it torn apart yesterday and the oil pump had failed which caused low lubrication and basically destroyed the motor...so now I found a guy selling a new 2.5 shortblock at a good price so I'm gonna buy that and build a hybrid...but I was wondering will my clutch and flywheel work with the 257 and my WRX 5-speed???

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Yes, they will. I am running that hybrid setup (EJ257 w/EJ205 Heads, 5-speed, etc).
post #3 of 11 Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
cool...but will my flywheel be too light I have the gruppe-s lightened flywheel for the WRX and I noticed the one they sell for the STi is 1lb. heavier

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #4 of 11 Old 03-27-2009, 01:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
cool...but will my flywheel be too light I have the gruppe-s lightened flywheel for the WRX and I noticed the one they sell for the STi is 1lb. heavier
Nope it should be fine.

As long as the flywheel is over 12lbs usually not a problem (general rule of thumb). Are you doing the build yourself? B/c if your having it built that is something you should discuss with your builder. Also a hybrid build is not just a simple plug and play there are many things to consider/parts needed such as:

Compression - What headgasket are you using? (i.e. Cosworth, Cosmetic, STi/OEM)
Various Gaskets - Get a set
shims/buckets or bucketless shims (depending on the year of the small block)
12mm or Sti Oil Pump
Water Pump
New Timing Belt & other belts (depending on age/milegage)
New Head Studs (i.e. ARP)
Good Tune from an experienced tuner
post #5 of 11 Old 03-27-2009, 04:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have an extra set of ARP studs, pm if interested, I'm so sorry to hear you had to tear it apart dude. I hope for 100k before I tear mine apart again. You just got it back... sorry man.

And I reused my water and oil pump. Working fine.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #6 of 11 Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
Nope it should be fine.

As long as the flywheel is over 12lbs usually not a problem (general rule of thumb). Are you doing the build yourself? B/c if your having it built that is something you should discuss with your builder. Also a hybrid build is not just a simple plug and play there are many things to consider/parts needed such as:

Compression - What headgasket are you using? (i.e. Cosworth, Cosmetic, STi/OEM)
Various Gaskets - Get a set
shims/buckets or bucketless shims (depending on the year of the small block)
12mm or Sti Oil Pump
Water Pump
New Timing Belt & other belts (depending on age/milegage)
New Head Studs (i.e. ARP)
Good Tune from an experienced tuner
Idk what head gasket I'm using...I havent really gotten that far...but probably a Cosworth...any recomendations on thickness

Shims????
what do u mean 12mm is that the pickup for the oil pump
I should me able to re-use my water pump from the 207 seeing as it was brand new right?
same with the belts?
and Gadiel Tuning will be tuning the car

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #7 of 11 Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 AM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Yes, as said before the WRX clutch/flywheel will work with the 2.5L block.. The Transmission is what you match the clutch to, not the block. If you drop in an STI 6 speed you will need an STI clucth/flywheel setup..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #8 of 11 Old 03-27-2009, 12:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Cometic .051 is what I'm running in my hybrid

And I would use the pump if it's compatable, but I wouldn't cheap out on the belts. Those things are like $20 for the accessory belts and 100 for a really good timing belt from gatesracing.com. I'm not even sure it'd fit.

Not to be a self promoting blowhard, but I compiled some stuff after my hybrid build that might help you:Hybrid build/rebuild info

And are you tearing that block down to do pistons and bearings? I didn't do forged rods since I'd never heard anyone say they were a problem, but I'd recommend forged pistons. It really not that hard when Your this far in.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #9 of 11 Old 03-27-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

the only reason im willing to re-use the belts is because the motor only had 1300 miles on it...but yeah im tearing the block down to upgrade the bearings and it already has CP forged pistons in it...I just dont have the money for rods right now so they'll have to wait

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #10 of 11 Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Cometic .051 is what I'm running in my hybrid

And I would use the pump if it's compatable, but I wouldn't cheap out on the belts. Those things are like $20 for the accessory belts and 100 for a really good timing belt from gatesracing.com. I'm not even sure it'd fit.

Not to be a self promoting blowhard, but I compiled some stuff after my hybrid build that might help you:Hybrid build/rebuild info

And are you tearing that block down to do pistons and bearings? I didn't do forged rods since I'd never heard anyone say they were a problem, but I'd recommend forged pistons. It really not that hard when Your this far in.
+1 good advice. I agree definitely go with some forged pistions (i.e. CP). My headgasket is a Cosworth gasket (cannot remember the thinkness, but it was the one Cosworth recommended for hybrid builds using the 2.0L/EJ205 heads).
post #11 of 11 Old 03-27-2009, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
Idk what head gasket I'm using...I havent really gotten that far...but probably a Cosworth...any recomendations on thickness

Shims????
what do u mean 12mm is that the pickup for the oil pump
I should me able to re-use my water pump from the 207 seeing as it was brand new right?
same with the belts?
and Gadiel Tuning will be tuning the car
The shims are for the valvetrain. You have to the measure clearences a replace the shims accordingly (check and set the valve lash and buying new shims and/or moving some from valve to valve). There are 16 shims in all, but generally you can reuse some of your current shims. You can purchase new shims from your dealer (make sure to get the correct shims for the year of your EJ257, b/c the older ones use the shims w/buckets and the new ones use shimless buckets or bucketless shims, whatever they are called).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement