Subaru WRX Forum banner

What clutch with RA gears?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wrxman420 
#1 ·
First of all, I have been on stock clutch, tranny, and turbo for 80k miles and 50k of that has been stage 2. The first thing to go is the clutch. !Cry!
I have wanted to go to an td05-18g for a long time, but never wanted to spend the $$$ for the drive train needed to handle it.

So before I do the turbo and other necessary mods, I am replacing the clutch, gears, syncros, and bearings.

I have done some research and really haven't found much on what clutch to run with the RA gears. (I am actually getting the STI non-RA gear set with the stock 4th and 5th gear ratio.) So my setup will be:

03 WRX
Turbo-back exhaust
TMIC
protune
stock turbo (18g later)
stock flywheel
STI non-RA gears
and what clutch?

After I get the 18g and protune again, I will be hoping for 300-325whp which from what I have read is good for the RA gears. Need to replace the clutch now and might as well do the gears. Help me out guys... Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would say stock clutch my friend... the RA's aren't tremendously stronger than stock. It's a good mod to do since you're already in there and you want a big turbo and I think the RAs will probably do you fine for that power level but you still have to take it relatively easy and the stock clutch will help you make sure you don't go too hard on her.

Hats off for ponying up the money now instead of when you can least afford it. Wish we were all as responsible.

#3 ·
I think, if you plan on going bigger in the future, save a little longer a spring for better than RA, I did that and am now having the PPG 1-4 installed, and feel I will not need to worry about my gears shitting, a clutch is much less expensive and easier to fix than the gears going to hell.

But, like mosc said, if that is as far as you take it, then RAs will work well for you, just don't drive like a poone.

#4 ·
I would love to have the ppg's but just can't spend 3800 on gears alone. I also don't think that I will ever go any bigger with this suby. Maybe I'll be able to buy an STI one day....

To reply to mosc, I have no problem with putting another stock clutch in, but my concern would be that after I get my 18g, I would be able to make the clutch slip while at full boost.

I know that putting a 3-puck or 6-puck on RAs is out of the question, but would a stage-1 organic still be too risky for breaking them?

If a stock clutch can handle the torque from the 18g setup, then stock clutch it will be. I too would much rather replace the clutch again in like 40k than the gears.

Thanks again guys,
YELOWRX

#6 ·
RA gears should be able to hold a stage 1 organic. I run that clutch on my stock trans. Just dont beat on it, since they arn't that much stronger.

On a side note there is a shop that drag races a bugeye wagon with ra gears and a 67mm turbo here at the local strip. He has seen some good launches, don't know what clutch he's running...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.