Subaru WRX Forum banner

What Clutch to get?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Danielson 
#1 ·
I will be having Northwest performance changing out my clutch I was thinking OEM but my friend said to look at an aftermarket but my car is a daily driver and not sure if I go with aftermarket drivability will go down.
any suggestions will help me alot

thanks Dan!Thumbs Up

#3 ·
well i have an exedy stage 1 organic on my stock tranny and i like the extra little bit of hold it gives...but i also have too much power that i shred stock clutches in a couple of weeks

#4 ·
If your transmission is still stock, get another stock clutch. You want the clutch to be your drivetrain "fuse" in case anything should go horribly wrong. It's much less expensive to get another clutch than a partial or completely new transmission.

#5 ·
Thanks Guys I think I will go with the OEM
And yeah I gotta fill in what I did to my Subie so far
keep em coming

also does anyone down shift they're Subie I herd that it is bad for the drivetran?
what are your thoughts

#7 ·
sorry mind is fried from auto electic class
ok here gos
when your driving and your coming to a stop sign do you shift into N and aply the brakes or down shift from lets say 4th to 3rd and let the engine and drivetran do the work
because I shift into N and use the Brakes that way the trans and drivetran dont take the shock
a guess Im just wondering:D

#10 ·
Hi all, I'm interested in clutch advice too. Just got an 02 wagon. All parts stock. Clutch will be a necessary first mod, and I don't want to cut short on future upgrades while I've got it open. This will be an aggressive DD and probably Rally-Xer.

As a newbie, I have to ask, what is Stage II? Is this the clutch level I want? Is Exedy standard, midgrade, or high performance brand?

Danielson,
Slowing down (at any speed) equals downshifting, unless you are trying to save gas by coasting. This will not hurt your tranny as long as you rev match properly. This is not synonymous with engine braking, which I do not recommend. Using the engine to slow down has few if any advantages, doesn't save gas, and generally deteriorates from competitive technique. Further, when done improperly, engine braking can cause transmission stress/damage.
Remember gone in 60 seconds? I think Nick Cage gives a good lesson to his gokart students. The name of the game is to be smooth. And prepared. So rev match for smooth transition, and downshift in preparation for your exit (of turn, stoplight, traffic, etc.).

#11 ·
Danielson,
Slowing down (at any speed) equals downshifting, unless you are trying to save gas by coasting. This will not hurt your tranny as long as you rev match properly. This is not synonymous with engine braking, which I do not recommend. Using the engine to slow down has few if any advantages, doesn't save gas, and generally deteriorates from competitive technique. Further, when done improperly, engine braking can cause transmission stress/damage.
Remember gone in 60 seconds? I think Nick Cage gives a good lesson to his gokart students. The name of the game is to be smooth. And prepared. So rev match for smooth transition, and downshift in preparation for your exit (of turn, stoplight, traffic, etc.).
Sounds good never thought of it that way and I like that used gone in 60 seconds!
also I went with a Clutch and flywheel combo from ACT and Ian noticed that the dust boots on my front axles are torn so hes replacing them so about a whole week I wont have my car:(
The Clutch is Stage I oem from ACT and the flywheel is a Streetlight from ACT:cool:
cant wait to get my car back and hear thatboxer rumble through my Borla XR-1 CBE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.