What Clutch to get? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Danielson is an unknown
What Clutch to get?

I will be having Northwest performance changing out my clutch I was thinking OEM but my friend said to look at an aftermarket but my car is a daily driver and not sure if I go with aftermarket drivability will go down.
any suggestions will help me alot

thanks Dan

2005 WRX
Borla XR-1 CBE Best Purchase so far

"Wax on wax off"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-17-2009, 09:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
After looking at your profile and seeing no mods listed for your car the rule of thumb expressed in numerous threads regarding purchasing and installing an aftermarket clutch is STOCK WRX TRANSMISSION = STOCK OEM CLUTCH.

12.7 @ 109
#3 Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
well i have an exedy stage 1 organic on my stock tranny and i like the extra little bit of hold it gives...but i also have too much power that i shred stock clutches in a couple of weeks

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#4 Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If your transmission is still stock, get another stock clutch. You want the clutch to be your drivetrain "fuse" in case anything should go horribly wrong. It's much less expensive to get another clutch than a partial or completely new transmission.

John
07 WRX
#5 Old 06-17-2009, 12:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Danielson is an unknown
Thanks Guys I think I will go with the OEM
And yeah I gotta fill in what I did to my Subie so far
keep em coming

also does anyone down shift they're Subie I herd that it is bad for the drivetran?
what are your thoughts

2005 WRX

"Wax on wax off"
#6 Old 06-17-2009, 02:43 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
How about try and explaining that. You have to eventually downshift the car.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Danielson is an unknown
sorry mind is fried from auto electic class
ok here gos
when your driving and your coming to a stop sign do you shift into N and aply the brakes or down shift from lets say 4th to 3rd and let the engine and drivetran do the work
because I shift into N and use the Brakes that way the trans and drivetran dont take the shock
a guess Im just wondering

2005 WRX

"Wax on wax off"
#8 Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I run down the gears. I really dont always trust people that drive. That way if something happens and its possible for me to move or get out of the way i can.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 06-17-2009, 04:12 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have had great experiences with Gripforce clutches. I think I paid like $160 shipped for an Exedy OEM.
#10 Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx54 is an unknown
Hi all, I'm interested in clutch advice too. Just got an 02 wagon. All parts stock. Clutch will be a necessary first mod, and I don't want to cut short on future upgrades while I've got it open. This will be an aggressive DD and probably Rally-Xer.

As a newbie, I have to ask, what is Stage II? Is this the clutch level I want? Is Exedy standard, midgrade, or high performance brand?

Danielson,
Slowing down (at any speed) equals downshifting, unless you are trying to save gas by coasting. This will not hurt your tranny as long as you rev match properly. This is not synonymous with engine braking, which I do not recommend. Using the engine to slow down has few if any advantages, doesn't save gas, and generally deteriorates from competitive technique. Further, when done improperly, engine braking can cause transmission stress/damage.
Remember gone in 60 seconds? I think Nick Cage gives a good lesson to his gokart students. The name of the game is to be smooth. And prepared. So rev match for smooth transition, and downshift in preparation for your exit (of turn, stoplight, traffic, etc.).
#11 Old 06-26-2009, 08:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Danielson is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx54 View Post
Danielson,
Slowing down (at any speed) equals downshifting, unless you are trying to save gas by coasting. This will not hurt your tranny as long as you rev match properly. This is not synonymous with engine braking, which I do not recommend. Using the engine to slow down has few if any advantages, doesn't save gas, and generally deteriorates from competitive technique. Further, when done improperly, engine braking can cause transmission stress/damage.
Remember gone in 60 seconds? I think Nick Cage gives a good lesson to his gokart students. The name of the game is to be smooth. And prepared. So rev match for smooth transition, and downshift in preparation for your exit (of turn, stoplight, traffic, etc.).
Sounds good never thought of it that way and I like that used gone in 60 seconds!
also I went with a Clutch and flywheel combo from ACT and Ian noticed that the dust boots on my front axles are torn so hes replacing them so about a whole week I wont have my car
The Clutch is Stage I oem from ACT and the flywheel is a Streetlight from ACT
cant wait to get my car back and hear thatboxer rumble through my Borla XR-1 CBE

2005 WRX

"Wax on wax off"