Well finally!!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-11-2011, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well finally!!!

Well it finally happened and for those of you, who like me, knew it would. Yes my stock 100k+ trans has finally handled it's last hard pull.
I will explain. I was passing someone on the way to work the other day and noticed the car didn't want to go into 3rd gear. I didn't think much of it and drove on to work. After leaving work and coming home I noticed a funny sound and the car not wanting to go into 3rd at all, no matter how hard I tried it won't go.
Conclusion, something is bend, maybe the shift fork I don't know for sure. I won't be able to really do much with the car until the end of the year so I guess it will sit until I can take the trans out and take it to my friend for a rebuild. All in all I don't care what anyone says that trans has been dealt a hard life. It has put up with lots of launches and even some scary "holy **** where's that gear" moments...
Not sure who had the month of November as there predicted "Keith's trans is gonna blow" time, but congrats you won.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-11-2011, 09:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

scharvey is more helpful than not
Sorry to hear that. I know that these cars make a truck load of torque and the transmissions are under fire. I hope ours hangs in there for awhile. We just past 100k last week. Hope it's not a complete meltdown for you.
#3 Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I still think your transmission is a factory freak Keith. Its that or you can drive a lot better than most people with a 5 spd.

Dang...I wish we would've made a "keith's transmission will fail pool" now. Kidding...I just knew it would be un dramatic though. Boo to that.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 11-12-2011, 04:54 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Damn, sorry to hear. Now you've got me worried about mine making it to 200K

Cullen
#5 Old 11-12-2011, 05:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sorry to let you down Kirt, but I figure if I had hit the 11 second mark it would have been much more dramatic and for all I know, it might just need the shift fork replaced, the gears my be okay still.

Cullen, I wouldn't sweat it to much. As I said this car has had a rough old life and I am very surprised it lasted the first 10k without a mishap. Not sure what mods you have to your car, but I have been abusing the car for the last 8 years most of that a STG.2+

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#6 Old 11-12-2011, 05:25 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post

Cullen, I wouldn't sweat it to much. As I said this car has had a rough old life and I am very surprised it lasted the first 10k without a mishap. Not sure what mods you have to your car, but I have been abusing the car for the last 8 years most of that a STG.2+
Mine's also STG 2+ and has been beaten extremely hard on track and off since I've owned it (sept. '06) It also did two season's doubling as my tow vehicle for my race car, and lapping in TT. What worries me is that I sold my spare trans before I moved out east, and I only have the one car presently.

Hope yours turns out to be less than catastrophic

Cullen
#7 Old 11-12-2011, 07:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Dam that sucks. What trans did you have AA, BA? I checked mine the other day after reading the thread about the 2 different trans in the 02 and seen I got BA. How long till you get back on the road?

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
#8 Old 11-12-2011, 10:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Bummer about the trans. I'm going to follow this story to completion. Oh, one more thing - I can recommend a nice set of gears if that's what you end up needing

John
07 WRX
#9 Old 11-12-2011, 10:48 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Keith is going to be the guy on here running the 08+ gears more than likely. I want to follow it to see comparison pics and install process. Good luck with everything man.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 11-12-2011, 12:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
mine went out around 140k miles but it was due to my dumb ass not checking the tranny fluid before and after my trip to Chicago and ending up having almost no tranny fluid in it when i came back from the trip and it blew up 2nd gear. sorry to hear that it happened to you.
Attached Images

#11 Old 11-12-2011, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
...yea we should definitely start a club charter soon! Good luck with your build and keep us updated. I have ~150 miles on mine and it's pretty smooth.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#12 Old 11-12-2011, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonracer View Post
Mine's also STG 2+ and has been beaten extremely hard on track and off since I've owned it (sept. '06) It also did two season's doubling as my tow vehicle for my race car, and lapping in TT. What worries me is that I sold my spare trans before I moved out east, and I only have the one car presently.

Hope yours turns out to be less than catastrophic
This has been my DD, rally car and everything else, never towed with it though, but I have been beating on it for 8 years now so I am surprised it lasted this long to be honest. I really do believe that it is a bend shift fork. I noticed that it pops out of 4th alot as well which has led me to that conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllExtinct
Dam that sucks. What trans did you have AA, BA? I checked mine the other day after reading the thread about the 2 different trans in the 02 and seen I got BA. How long till you get back on the road?
BA trans code. I probably won't really do much until after the first of the year as work as been piling up and I just bought a gym for a small business so that has me running around alot as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame
Keith is going to be the guy on here running the 08+ gears more than likely. I want to follow it to see comparison pics and install process. Good luck with everything man.
Correct I wanna stick with factory stuff for now since the original lasted like it did. I will try and see if I can get comparison pictures, but I won't be doing the rebuild so we will see. I am not a transmission guy at all. I know the parts and how to install, take out and break them.

I will update as I make progress and as we all knew this would happen so it really doesn't come as a shocker to me. Sucks, but I was prepared for it so at least I have that going.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#13 Old 11-13-2011, 10:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1456 is more helpful than not
Garage
Sorry to hear that. Hope your able to get it back on the road soon.

06 STI
http://www.armslist.com/?utm_source=c000017&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p017903
#14 Old 11-14-2011, 06:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hmmm. I called 3-4 passes a couple months ago....

Bunk... Sorry Keith.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#15 Old 11-14-2011, 03:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

So I decided to drive the car to work today and see how it drove. Well to make a long story short, I got to the end of my street and turned around and got out the Festiva.... Oh well...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...