Weird noises.........? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 Old 08-20-2006, 06:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Black Night is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Black Night
well i went wit the act streetlite flywheel...13.9 lbs...i mean the cars drives perfectly fine its just so friggin annoying, anyone local feel like takin a look at it or at least listening to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

edboz is an unknown
Last week while I was driving my shifter actually came off in my hand. I was able to get it into first and limp it home. When I brought the car to the dealership that did the work on my tranny the prior week they said a clip was broken on the shifter. They took care of everything and now the car doesn't make any weird sounds and works fine. So, I'm assuming that is where the sound was coming from.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-05-2006, 02:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

ZeroPunkFX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to ZeroPunkFX
Same problem...

Hey this sounds really familiar. I had an ACT clutch and Flywheel installed and for the first 4 months it sounded like the flywheel was scraping against something. It would occur everytime the car was coasting, usually on 2nd to 4th gear. The sound has overtime reduced substantially which is why it doesn't bother me that much anymore. My freinds old man is an old Subaru mechanic and he said something about how the flywheel has to be specially aligned to prevent any sort of "scraping" or offbalance action going on. According to JSC speed, ACT flywheels are made to be resurfaceable perhaps for a fitment issue I presume. In a nut shell, it could be that the flywheel is a little to thick and may need resurfacing, or it may need a better alignment/installation. Either way i'd like to know what the deal is, I need facts man! Everyone likes a quiet ride.

-Lorenz
post #19 of 21 Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Dyminh is an unknown
hmmm similar issues

hi its me again
i was reading the forums trying to find some information on a fidanza flywheel, and i stumble across this thread. i have a similar problem. its not constant, nor is it predictable. but pretty frequently my car makes a scraping noise. its faint, almost to the tune of worn out brake-pads, but as mentioned in this thread, it doesnt occur under braking.

i had previously stated, in a post regarding a situation that turned out to be my clutch master cylinder, that i dont really have any auto mechanic experience. but since it only makes noise while moving( doesnt necessarily have to be accelerating) wouldnt that indicate a rotational mass issue?

heres where my situation is different: i have 85k mi on my car and am ABOUT to replace my clutch and flywheel setup, hence why i was looking for some info on fidanza flywheels since they seem to be a good deal. if my understanding is correct, the original poster of this topic reported this noise on a NEW setup.

could it be i am experiencing simply the opposite extreme?
would/should there be any auditory ( or other) indicators i could look/listen for?
perhaps its the rotors?

o yea and since im here, i was gonna get a exedy package OEM clutch replacement kit, and 14 lb flywheel for like $500. BUT in a transcendental effort to save $$, i noticed a fidanza flywheel @12 lbs for like $120~ (dont quote me on specifics) and the exedy clutch kit itself for $200 shipped. so as you can see theres a substantial savings purchasing seperately the different brands. i would imagine there are certain advantages/disadvantages to going lighter vs. keeping closer to stock weight. any&all insight is appreciated.

Dyminh
post #20 of 21 Old 10-03-2007, 12:08 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
you want a stock clutch and stock flywheel to put in there. It's well worth the extra dough.

The OP here ended up replacing the clutch with one like you were just describing and ripping his tranny to shreds in just a few miles.

Stock Tranny? STOCK CLUTCH!

As for flywheels, you're not doing yourself any favors by putting in a lighter flywheel at near-stock power levels. Heavier flywheels help the low end of the car (and launching) where lighter ones help the high end. Light flywheels are great for track cars which rarely go below 3000rpm but not wise for a daily driver.

Spend the money and get the stock replacement parts...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #21 of 21 Old 10-03-2007, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by edboz View Post
...and the shifter vibrates much more than it did with the stock flywheel.
lightened flywheels will give more feedback as most performance/aftermarket products do.