Subaru WRX Forum banner

Weird grindy whiny sound?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TurboRev 
#1 ·
Hey all - new to this forum and posting because mechanics don't know what I'm even talking about I guess. I'm going to take it to a new shop tomorrow and drive them around and point it out when it happens and hope that it helps...

Anyway. My 2006 WRX Limited drives fine. No lag, no clunking, no locking up, nothing. But about a week ago while taking a long, sharp right turn (getting onto the freeway), I noticed a weird whiny sort of sound. Best way I can describe it is if you were to take an empty soda cup from a restaurant and blow over the top of the straw, but more high-pitched. It has gotten progressively worse over the week, to the point where I'm afraid to drive it.

It happens only while I'm moving, so idling I can't tell at all where it's coming from. I've taken it to two shops. They said the tranny is good (low fluid - refilled it, no difference in noise) and can't replicate the noise when driving. We checked the wheels for any play in case of wheel bearing failure, they're solid. Had Tate Boys look over the suspension stuff in the front area (the general area the sound is coming from) and they said it was good, the second full-service shop said they didn't see anything wrong.

I'm totally stumped and scared to drive. My biggest concerns were transmission or turbo issues but I feel that if it were something big like that, at least the full-service shop would've been able to find something. It sounds somewhat similar to when we had to replace one of the pulleys on the alternator belt. I'm not mechanically inclined whatsoever, just trying to recall similar issues I've had before (had a VW before this car and almost everything that can go wrong, did go wrong) and nothing is making sense. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.