Urgent please help! Dealer messed up my car, might blame me! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-20-2011, 11:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

ilganeli is an unknown
Urgent please help! Dealer messed up my car, might blame me!

Hi All,
So I installed my front shifter bushing about 3 weeks back on my 2011 WRX and was driving around fine and dandy for a couple weeks. Then noticed a whirr when clutched so I took the car into the dealer and had them take a look. They replaced the throwout bearing but then told me that they also heard noise from the drive shaft, so they ended up replacing that along with the propeller.

Problem starts when I pick up the car, I think when they reassembled the transmission after the drive shaft install they didnt bolt things on properly since my shifter began to move around in 3rd - 5th when accelerating/letting off the gas. Not just a little, but like a good inch of motion, like it's popping out of something.

I immediately called the dealer, told them of the problem, and dropped the car off the next day. However, after inspecting the car, the dealer noticed my front bushing install was non-stock and basically said that because there was a tiny amount of lateral motion in the bushing (this is apparently not uncommon with Kartboy bushings) that this was responsible for the shifter motion.

My concern is that they try to void the warranty. I think this is bs because
a) I had this thing in for a few weeks and had zero issue until they messed with it and
b) Even if I go back to the stock bushing, that they might try to claim that I did a shit job installing it and messed up the tranny - again this is absurd because I had no problems until they worked on the car - and charge me $330 for the inspection plus whatever else they want to "fix " the issue

What are my options here? I really need some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2011, 05:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
They can and probably will void your claim because of the bushing.

You could tell them there is less slop with the new bushing as opposed to the older one and show them, but it seems they already have their mind set.

Try telling them you put the bushing in after the original trip there (trying to fix it yourself).

Sorry. Good luck.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 09-21-2011, 06:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I had still been at Stohlman's (where did you take it?) I could have pushed it thru.
#4 Old 09-21-2011, 06:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Go to another dealer. That's my advice. And if you are real paranoid put the stock bushing back in before going to another dealership.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#5 Old 09-21-2011, 07:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

ilganeli is an unknown
I was at Fitzgerald Subaru in Bethesda, I will definitely put in the stock bushing before taking it to the dealer. Do the dealers share service records between each other?

Also with regards to the problem itself, it's not slop (where I can jiggle the shifter in the socket) - it is instead actual back and forth (vertical) motion when I accelerate (not me moving the shifter), like something is not engaged properly. Any thoughts on what the root of the problem might actually be?
#6 Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Did you put the c-clip back in when you installed the shifter? Sounds like your shifter is trying to pop out of socket, or the linkage is loose somewhere.

-Chris
#7 Old 09-21-2011, 08:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

ilganeli is an unknown
Since the dealer worked on the car, I checked the shifter itself (in the cabin). By c-clip I assume you mean the bracket that attaches to the shifter, not the u-bracket from the linkage

http://turninconcepts.com/instructio...esize_0028.jpg

My theory was that the linkage is loose, and as such that the dealer is responsible, I just don't know where I want to be checking, and I don't want to be disassembling everything when its the dealer's responsibility. I just want to know wtf is going on so that I can argue cogently that it's their fault.
#8 Old 09-21-2011, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilganeli View Post
I was at Fitzgerald Subaru in Bethesda, I will definitely put in the stock bushing before taking it to the dealer. Do the dealers share service records between each other?

Also with regards to the problem itself, it's not slop (where I can jiggle the shifter in the socket) - it is instead actual back and forth (vertical) motion when I accelerate (not me moving the shifter), like something is not engaged properly. Any thoughts on what the root of the problem might actually be?
Yes they share info. It goes in your "file"

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Yes they share info. It goes in your "file"
You would be surprised...when I wrote a nastygram to the dealership I bought the car from about my trans they had no idea I had my rear diff replaced nor that I had my 30k service done (both work was done at another Subaru dealer). Most of these places are independently owned/operated, so that does not mean they all run the same reporting systems or that they are in-sync. Yes, they probably have some centralized method to communicate with SoA about warranty/repair work but that doesn't mean it's linked to all other dealerships.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#10 Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

^ Where do you think warranty work goes through ?

SOA

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#11 Old 09-21-2011, 10:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

ilganeli is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
^ Where do you think warranty work goes through ?

SOA
So will this make it problematic to simply go to another dealer?
#12 Old 09-21-2011, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

I personally think so. But others like Sandra stated, may not see the denial.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#13 Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
That is not a common issue with Kartboy shifters. I have had one for a billion years in my car and had very little play at all. Tell the dealer that they suck and go somewhere else.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#14 Old 09-21-2011, 08:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Go else where...This is how I see it. They don't make as big of a profit on warranty work. Which they already did once and now they are trying to find a way out of taking a second hit and doing warranty work twice. Thus, they are now pointing the finger at you. Because they are "trained mechanics" that don't make mistakes. Any honest mechanic should be able to take a second look into it and either ease your nerves or say this is the new problem. Instead the dealership is now trying to say you threw a monkey wrench into the system and damaged it. That is not a way to do good business in my opinion, but that is how most of these places are.

Whatever happened to right sizing the customer or the customer is always right? I guess big buiness would rather fight you tooth and nail at times.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#15 Old 09-21-2011, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

ilganeli is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Go else where...This is how I see it. They don't make as big of a profit on warranty work. Which they already did once and now they are trying to find a way out of taking a second hit and doing warranty work twice. Thus, they are now pointing the finger at you. Because they are "trained mechanics" that don't make mistakes. Any honest mechanic should be able to take a second look into it and either ease your nerves or say this is the new problem. Instead the dealership is now trying to say you threw a monkey wrench into the system and damaged it. That is not a way to do good business in my opinion, but that is how most of these places are.

Whatever happened to right sizing the customer or the customer is always right? I guess big buiness would rather fight you tooth and nail at times.
Plan is to get the factory bushing back in, then go to another dealer (different franchise).

If I'm really unlucky they also give me grief... Let's see what happens

Last edited by ilganeli; 09-22-2011 at 07:35 AM.