Subaru WRX Forum banner

Trying decide between ppg or six speed

14K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  man show 
#1 ·
Looking into building trans on my 2011 wrx cause I'm at my power limit now. Like ppg cause get keep my upgraded clutch and flywheel but like the fact that I've seen 500 hp subies on stock sixer.
Any suggestions cause I can get both from rallispec same price

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
Something is wrong with your estimates if you're being told they're the same price. The 6-speed is a much more involved swap and will cost considerably more.

I would advise the following "stages" for any WRX guy, see where you fit it:
Stock-stage 2: stock clutch, stock transmission
stage 2 with a blown tranny: stock clutch, upgrade the gears only
turbo upgrade: STi 6-speed. But first, sell the car and buy one with the "STi" option package, will save money.
Track monster: PPG dog 5-speed. And a trailer.

In other words, I would not get an upgraded 5-speed for a daily driven car.

EDIT: I am well aware that the statement of "If you want a WRX with a bigger turbo, buy an STi" is an unpopular statement amongst WRX owners who make up the majority of this forum but in my opinion, it is the correct recommendation. The WRX is well spec'd for it's price and is a lot of fun at stage 2 for a daily driver but it is not as cost effective a platform to go much beyond that on. You will save money in the long run starting further along on the STi rather than the WRX. The WRX's "mod path" should be pretty short IMHO. Now, if you go so far with it that you are replacing everything then I would start with neither. I'd get an impreza body and go nuts from there. WRX owners tend to spend a lot of money upgrading drivetrain components that are already included on an STi.

#11 ·
I would advise the following "stages" for any WRX guy, see where you fit it:
Stock-stage 2: stock clutch, stock transmission
stage 2 with a blown tranny: stock clutch, upgrade the gears only
turbo upgrade: STi 6-speed. But first, sell the car and buy one with the "STi" option package, will save money.
Track monster: PPG dog 5-speed. And a trailer.

In other words, I would not get an upgraded 5-speed for a daily driven car.
There's a lot of wisdom in this advice. :)

#3 ·
Yea that was qoute from rallispec the six speed is used 2011 Sti tranny converted to open viscous diff and includes Sti drive shaft clutch slave cylinder shifter and other parts
Their qoute on ppg with straight or helical cut was same price still have the email from them.
My wrx is already past point no return with built motor and Dom 3.0 xtr lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
So uh, which is it? A open differential or Viscous? They're two different things. I think what he's trying to give you is a crap upgrade. Just the gears...while you keep the crap 2011 WRX differentials.

WRX diffs
Front is open, center is viscous, and rear is open.

STI diffs
Front helical limited slip, DCCD center, and Torsen rear

The new 3rd Gens got crap differentials and gained VCD and TCS.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
I guess you're in it for a lot of money already. I would ask how much you intend to drive the car. If it's more than 3000 miles a year, I'd say get as close to a full STi driveline as you can. If you are not driving it much, I'd probably go with a PPG helixical cut 5-speed with a stock 5th gear.

#13 ·
There's nothing wrong with daily driving a WRX with upgraded 5 speed gears. I have Albins helical gears in my car and I can barely hear them whining when I'm just cruising around town, but to me, it's an extremely pleasant sound. I envy those who have super whiney straight cut gears. Bite the bullet, upgrade your gears, and enjoy peace of mind. It sucks being broken down on the side of the road - been there several times ;)

#16 ·
John says that but then he always is nervous beating on it properly because he knows something will snap. If not his 5-speed then maybe a differential. The STi 6-speed is easy to drive and can handle the abuse. You can drive an upgraded WRX 5-speed around. You'll just have to live in fear, with a savings account, and lose your daily driver for a while if you beat on it too hard.

STi saves money long term if the WRX's turbo isn't big enough for you. Peace of mind is a very fun driving mod.

#18 ·
Correct, I don't beat on my car as much as I could because it's my daily driver and I need it every single day, but I do beat on it a whole heck of a lot more than if it still had stock gears.

My gears were upgraded November 2011 @ 84k due to lazy/horrible shifting on my part (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f69/blew-my-07-trans-tonight-30828/). At the time my 07 WRX was running Cobb's Stage 2, 93 Octane OTS map with a Cobb catted downpipe, HKS Hi-Power Carbon-Ti cat back, GrimmSpeed modded stock headers and high flow crosspipe, and a Turbo XS TMIC... basically Stage 2 with a couple of extra un-tuned-for parts.

December 2011 @ 86k: added fuel pump, ebcs, tuned (238 whp, 308 wtq)

May 2012 @ 94k: added radiator, injectors, 20G turbo, intake, tuned (330 whp, 338 wtq)

August 2012 @ 99k: rebuilt engine, added everything else in mod list, tuned (365 whp, 340 wtq)

September 2013: 122k and running strong :)

#21 ·
Sounds about right. Here's a breakdown of my 5MT rebuild at IAG:

$316.00 (R&R Transmission)
$513.50 (Labor)
$4,602.79 (Albins 1-5 Helical Gearset, Stock Ratio)
$83.95 (SPT Trans Mount)
$30.00 (Kartboy Transmission Crossmember Bushings)
$7.99 (Vibrant 3" 2 Bolt Exhaust Gasket)
$19.00 (GT Spec Turbo to Downpipe Gasket)
$75.00 (Resurface Flywheel)
$5.00 (Exhaust Hardware)
$48.40 (Motul 75W-90 Gear Oil)
--------------------
$5,701.63 (Total) ...add a couple hundred bucks for tax too :)

Fortunately, my stock clutch was still in good shape. I switched back to the Andrewtech Cocktail after 1,500 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.