Transmission Hard going into gears... syncros? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 10-31-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Zaridar is an unknown
Transmission Hard going into gears... syncros?

I have an 04 WRX. When i first got it it had the incorrect trans dipstick in it. It did not like going into 1st gear unless at near dead stop.. otherwise it would grind... or shifted too quickly into 1st from second it would grind. It still does actually. I have 80,000 plus miles on it. It is the factory trans. I got the correct dipstick and changed the fluid. I know it is at the correct level now. I think it was before as well however but not 100%. I first put in mobile 1 80w 90. it shifted harder so i went back to non synthetic Valvoline 80w 90. I also added a qt of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. (non syn). It shifted more smoothly. Now however its getting colder and it is much harder to shift until its warmed up. It also grind from 5th to 4th just like 2 to 1. but get better as it warms up.. Are my syncos going? Any recommendations would be great

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 10-31-2011, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
75w90 would be the right stuff to put into the trans. Have you looked into Subaru Extra-S as trans fluid? Also, when you drained it, did you notice any larger than normal or excessive amount of shavings? Weird that it grinds in a few gears, are you sure your clutch is fully engaging?

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
post #3 of 47 Old 10-31-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Zaridar is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
75w90 would be the right stuff to put into the trans. Have you looked into Subaru Extra-S as trans fluid? Also, when you drained it, did you notice any larger than normal or excessive amount of shavings? Weird that it grinds in a few gears, are you sure your clutch is fully engaging?
just any gl5 right.. would 75 compared to 80 make that much difference? I think the thick ass Lucas stuff might not help when cold... Is there a way to adjust the clutch on these cars? Ill have to check into it... I was also thinking possibly pilot or release bearing but not sure... just wondering if anyone has had similar issues.. no the drained fluid looked pretty normal.. just slightly opaque and only really fine filings.
post #4 of 47 Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Well to begin with, the older WRXS (02-07, I have experience with) are notorious for being hard to shift into first. What speed/rpm are you down shifting from? It can sometimes be tricky to downshift also, have you tried the rev matching technique of downshifting?

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #5 of 47 Old 11-01-2011, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Zaridar is an unknown
yes i almost always rev match... its has been a little "hard" to shift since i got it but nothing like this... its not supposed to grind going into another gear with the clutch in... unless its reverse. I was just wondering if anyone has had anything similar happen or know what may be causing this change( not really concerned with the hard shifting as much as the grinding... i think i lower weight oil will help with the hard shifting when cold..)
post #6 of 47 Old 11-01-2011, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Try the Andrewtech cocktail in your transmission:

(1x) 1 Liter Motul Gear 300 75W-90
(3x) 1 Quart Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil 75W-140

Add 1 Qt Redline, then 1 L Motul, then top off with Redline (you won't need all of the last Qt). After shopping around, I found the ingredients for roughly $32 + shipping.

John
07 WRX
post #7 of 47 Old 11-01-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Zaridar is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Try the Andrewtech cocktail in your transmission:

(1x) 1 Liter Motul Gear 300 75W-90
(3x) 1 Quart Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil 75W-140

Add 1 Qt Redline, then 1 L Motul, then top off with Redline (you won't need all of the last Qt). After shopping around, I found the ingredients for roughly $32 + shipping.
May i ask why and how this will help? Thanks!
post #8 of 47 Old 11-02-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Zaridar is an unknown
Been doing some research on other forums and what not... I am pretty sure im going with the Extra S Subaru 75w90. Have read lots of great stuff about it.. Since I currently have Valvoline 80w90 in there i think this stuff may fix my problems....
post #9 of 47 Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaridar View Post
yes i almost always rev match... its has been a little "hard" to shift since i got it but nothing like this... its not supposed to grind going into another gear with the clutch in... unless its reverse. I was just wondering if anyone has had anything similar happen or know what may be causing this change( not really concerned with the hard shifting as much as the grinding... i think i lower weight oil will help with the hard shifting when cold..)
How long have you been driving a subaru? Have driven or rode in any others? First gear is noturious for grinding unless at a dead stop. Unless you are paying pretty good attention to it and slip it just right, ask anyone around that has had one for awhile. My first gear has grinded in when not paying attention since day one, bought the car with 9 miles, and now have a built tranny, and it still grinds when being careless. But I do hope you get your issue resolved best of luck.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #10 of 47 Old 11-03-2011, 12:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well I suppose I should step in and add my two cents worth here. I, unlike most, still have my original transmission and it has always been a hard to get into gear at lower speeds. I recommend rev matching to see if that helps the issue. I have owned my car since new and it has been beat on pretty much since and the issues have never gotten worse.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #11 of 47 Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaridar View Post
May i ask why and how this will help? Thanks!
Sure,

1. It's a popular transmission fluid cocktail that's known to minimize or solve minor shifting issues in many Subarus.

2. It's not terribly expensive (~$33 w/o shipping if you shop around... last I checked anyway).

I like to start with cheap fixes because sometimes they work.

John
07 WRX
post #12 of 47 Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Zaridar is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Sure,

1. It's a popular transmission fluid cocktail that's known to minimize or solve minor shifting issues in many Subarus.

2. It's not terribly expensive (~$33 w/o shipping if you shop around... last I checked anyway).

I like to start with cheap fixes because sometimes they work.
I was reading on other forums that this stuff isnt quite as good as extra s also that it is gl4 not gl5 which over time apparently will ruin the suboe trans... any truth to this?
post #13 of 47 Old 11-04-2011, 06:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The Uncle scotty's cocktail is known for taking a crap.

I've said it time and time again... Go with Extra S. The Andrewtech stuff needs a little more time for any reviews.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #14 of 47 Old 11-04-2011, 07:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

Uncle Scotty's Cocktail has been proven to turn acidic over time which is bad for transmission internals. I don't have any hard data on the Andrewtech Cocktail, but it was recommended to me by Albins (the company in Australia that made my aftermarket transmission gears) and IAG Performance (the company that is installing them). I'll also be changing it every 15k.

I Googled GL4 vs GL5 and there seems to be an overwhelming amount of information about it online. I'd have to spend some time sorting through it all to come up with an answer for that one.

John
07 WRX
post #15 of 47 Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Still never understood why people try getting more than 15K out of ANY fluids.

Small price to pay for peace of mind IMHO. Wonder why Subie hasn't engineered anything like the Ford fluid I use in my gearbox. Lifetime fluid. Although, I wouldn't run it for more than 20-30K.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement