transmission fluid... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Labukas19 is more helpful than not
transmission fluid...

i know there are a million threads on it but know one seems to know the best.
on my 04 i used USC and worked great.
its time to swap my 06 fluid now.
i have no shifting problems at all now. but im getting close to 30k. so wanna change it.
im looking for something that shifts smoothly and wont hurt the longevity of my trans. im looking to keep it as long as i can!
so whats the best out there. im not concerned with cost i want whats best.
thanks!
06 wrx 5mt

2001 COBRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
Personally I use 3qts. Redline lightweight shockproof and the rest Motul 75w90 gear oil.
#3 Old 01-02-2009, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I've been using Redline 75W 90 NS in my transmission and Redline 75W 90 in my rear differential since 3,000 miles and now I'm getting close to 30,000, so I'm gonna be changing it again pretty soon. Part of me wants to be brave and try Uncle Scotty's Cocktail in the trans, but I haven't had any problems with my current setup, so I'm probably gonna stick with that. I also like knowing that if I ever have to add any fluid, I won't have to measure out a certain ratio of several different kinds of oil like I'd probably have to if I used Uncle Scotty's Cocktail. I'm a believer that as long as it's synthetic, it should perform slightly better than conventional. Unless someone has done a specific test and can cite facts that one type or combination of oils significantly outperforms the rest, it's mostly personal preference.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Labukas19 is more helpful than not
well i think im going to go with extra-s.... just hae to find it cheaper then 180 shipped....

2001 COBRA
#5 Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

norcalwrx916 is on thin ice
Send a message via AIM to norcalwrx916 Send a message via Yahoo to norcalwrx916
I myself am close to changing my oil as well i was thinking about useing amsoil,redline or redline shockproof anyone use those??
#6 Old 01-10-2009, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Oil or trans fluid? Wrxman already said that he uses redline lightweight shockproof trans fluid.
#7 Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Subaru Gear Oil (only Comes In 5 Gal.) 75w-90 Part Number K0323aa093 Subaru 90ls Lsd Oil (1 Liter) Part Number K0305y0900 If You Want To Be Safe Use These!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#8 Old 01-10-2009, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

norcalwrx916 is on thin ice
Send a message via AIM to norcalwrx916 Send a message via Yahoo to norcalwrx916
im close to changing my trans oil
#9 Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

robelia1 is an unknown
how often should your trans oil and differential be changed? what kind price do changing both of these come out to roughly at a private mechanic shop?
#10 Old 01-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Every 30,000 miles and I don't know. If you can change your oil you can do it your self. You can find out how if you search it. It's easy!!!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#11 Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

Garage
My local Subaru stealership sold me 90LS Subaru LSD oil part# K0305Y0900 when I asked what I needed to change the front differential oil. I have been researching and from my understanding of what I have read this is for the rear differential. Subaru also sells a 75-90 gear oil part#K0323AA093 in five gallon buckets. Which do I need for the front and which for the rear? Does the 06 WRX have limited slip in the rear? Does it have limited slip in the front? My owner manual says to use GL-5 in both and has a tempeture chart for the weight to use in your climate. 75-90 works well in most all climates according to the chart for the front and rear. If this is the case shouldnt I use the same in both differentials unless one is not limited slip? Right now I have only changed the rear and put Mobil 1 75-90 synthetic in it. Been running it for a month now and seems fine. I did buy one liter of the subaru 90LS LSD oil part# K0305Y0900 at a hefty $26.00 price though. I havent used it yet. I think the subaru gear oil part# K0323AA093 is around $150.00 for five gallons. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!! WHICH ONE WHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#12 Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
If I remember correctly and some help from this site. 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX and STi spec page

You have the following:
Front Diff: Open
Center Diff: Open
Rear Diff: Limited Slip

STIs have this:
Front Diff: Limited Slip helical
Center Diff: Electronic Mechanical (DCCD)
Rear Diff: Limited Slip (can't remember if the 06s are helical or not. I remember 07s rear diffs are torsen)

I dunno...I need to find my bill from the stealership. I could've swore they put the same fluids in the trans (which also covers the front diff fluid change in MT) and rear. But, I think they added a stiffening agent for the rear. Hmm...I'll update if I find the bill.
#13 Old 01-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Garage
So I should use the Subaru 90LS LSD oil (K0305Y0900) in the rear since it is limited slip in my 06 WRX TR, and regular Subaru 75-90 gear oil (K0323AA093) in the transmission since it is open. Is this correct? I just want to do it right with the OEM fluids. The guys at the stealership dont seem to know much about this in my opinion.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#14 Old 01-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Hey Where Did Everybody Go?

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#15 Old 01-12-2009, 06:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Be patient grasshopper. LOL...Um, I don't know where I got the stiffening agent from. Sorry...my bad. They used the same trans gear oil in my car front and back. Unfornately the dealership didn't list what type or grade it was. Un-specific on my sheet. I'm assuming they used the Subaru 90LS LSD oil (K0305Y0900). But, like I said...it's not specific on my bill.