Transfer case reseal and new bearings - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-18-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Transfer case reseal and new bearings

So I finally got around to replacing the shift shaft and rear (yolk) seals on my tranny today. While I was in there, I felt and listened to the viscous coupler and rear output shaft bearings. I decided that since it was apart, I should git 'er dun. (182K on trans.) It wasn't too bad of a job, and the noise I had gotten used to for the last couple of years on decel in third and fourth (mostly) is gone ! It also feels good knowing that they are new, since I've seen them fail completely on other Subie 5 speeds.

I will post up more details of what I'm talking about (sorry, forgot to take a camera with me) if anybody shows an interest in learning more.

Cullen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-19-2011, 12:35 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Cullen, what type of noise were you hearing? Just curious to learn and understand some more stuff about the car.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 9 Old 06-19-2011, 12:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Sure, I don't own a 5 spd. But, I am always curious to learn more.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae

Last edited by turmic; 06-20-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Just wish I could spell at times...lol
post #4 of 9 Old 06-19-2011, 10:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
...as am I.

John
07 WRX
post #5 of 9 Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I am ready to share more info, which will be much easier with some illustrations, but for some reason there is no "insert image" icon here today. Any idea why not ?

The noise was kind of a deep scraping sound under decel only, heard coming from the tunnel. I used to think it was my clutch release bearing rattling on the tranny shaft. After installing a sleeve kit it still persisted. Must have been one of the transfer case bearings.

Cullen
post #6 of 9 Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Name:  transfer case diagram.jpg
Views: 3577
Size:  59.3 KB

I guess I can add the image as an attachment, after saving it to my 'puter.

So, what I replaced were the seal # G73521 and the shift shaft seal (not pictured) Once in there and after inspection I also replaced bearings G33008, G32204, and G23017. They should probably be removed and installed from their respective shafts with a hydraulic press, but since we shockingly don't have one at the shop, were fairly easily done with a vise and a BFH. The one right next to the coupler gear (G33008) had to be hacked off with an angle grinder and chisel. The whole operation was performed by removing the back of the case (32130 in the diagram) BTW, 38913 is the viscous coupler.

First the driveshaft had to be removed and the roll pin for the shift shaft punched out. That was a bit of a biatch, as it's actually two different pins, one inside the other. After performing the work inside the case, the plate on the back is just bolted back on with "Fuji-Bond" and everything else just re-installed.

I would not recommend this job as a driveway task on jack stands, but it certainly is possible. I was very glad to be able to use a lift.

Cullen
post #7 of 9 Old 06-21-2011, 02:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
BFH does that equal Big Freakin' Hammer?

Kirt
post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Correct sir

Cullen
post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2011, 02:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Score! I know all those days of playing Doom would pay off in the end.

Kirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement