trans and clutch question 04 wrx... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-31-2007, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Labukas19 is more helpful than not
trans and clutch question 04 wrx...

alright guys... i think my 5th gear syncro took a crap... ( i was stuck in the snow and was rocking it from 1 to rev. to get out... ) 5th and rev. ride on the same syncro correct? well thats what im guessing blew it up. b/c im am not rough on my car at all... anyways.... my pro date is 02/04 that the weak trans? and im still under warranty.. just have to go back to stock.. im stage 2, and catless... will they replace it with a remanded trans or new one? will it be the updated (stronger trans)? and for clutch.. im going to buy a new clutch to throw in.. and maybe flywheel also... what do you guys reccomend? i was one who swore never to put in a stock clutch when replacing one.. but was told differently for these cars.
are the trannies that weak??? im not looking to spend a hell of a lot of money on the clutch and fly wheel set up. just let me know what you guys reccomend... thanks!

2001 COBRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-31-2007, 01:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labukas19 View Post
alright guys... i think my 5th gear syncro took a crap... ( i was stuck in the snow and was rocking it from 1 to rev. to get out... ) 5th and rev. ride on the same syncro correct? well thats what im guessing blew it up. b/c im am not rough on my car at all... anyways.... my pro date is 02/04 that the weak trans? and im still under warranty.. just have to go back to stock.. im stage 2, and catless... will they replace it with a remanded trans or new one? will it be the updated (stronger trans)? and for clutch.. im going to buy a new clutch to throw in.. and maybe flywheel also... what do you guys reccomend? i was one who swore never to put in a stock clutch when replacing one.. but was told differently for these cars.
are the trannies that weak??? im not looking to spend a hell of a lot of money on the clutch and fly wheel set up. just let me know what you guys reccomend... thanks!
english please
post #3 of 7 Old 12-31-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PVMNT View Post
english please
hmm pretty easy to read to me.. (maybe because i wrote it! ;-) )
to start over again...
My car is grinding going into 5th gear. car is under warranty yet... will they replace the trans with a remanufactured one? or will they put ina brand new one?
will the one they put in be the stronger trans they started putting in in mid 04? I have an early 04. feb. of 2004.
second...
Im going to have them throw in a clutch while its apart. What clutch do you guys reccomned? i dont drive hard on my cars. but would like to go to the track once in a while... And also what is a good flywheel. to put in. or just get mine resurfaced? i have 46k. on my car. I think you all are going to say stock oem clutch... if so where can I get a nice kit cheap. and a possible flywheel cheap...

Are the transmissions that weak in these cars? (I think i have the weaker of the transmissions it being pro dat of feb. 2004) correct me if im wrong. i mean im just stage 2.
all i did was rock the car from 1 to reverse to get out of being stuck. and now it grinds into 5th.
think that covers it all..!

2001 COBRA
post #4 of 7 Old 12-31-2007, 08:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Yeah it's probably the synchos. I'd take it to the dealer since your under warranty and have them cast their judgement. I'm not sure if they'll put a stronger tranny in or not since your early 04 (still glass). About the clutch have an OEM one put in with the stock transmission.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
post #5 of 7 Old 01-01-2008, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

yea im 99.9% sure its my syncros... beings i was grinding it pretty good tryng to get out of the snow. going from 1st the reverse... (5th and revs. ride on the same syncro) almost positive they do on these trans... (never had one apart)
yea but it was anupdated trans.. (whats stronger anyway by the way?)
its prob. just going to be a remand one.. dont you think they would build it with the better of the 2004 trans internals if they new there was a prob. with the early ones.... like they should all be the same part number now.. since there all getting remaned in mass production at subaru...

2001 COBRA
post #6 of 7 Old 01-01-2008, 04:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
The only changed made in the tranny was they went to the wider gear width in mid 03. All 04s should have the better wide gears.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-01-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ah so they didnt do anything with the syncros... why would subaru put such a pos trans in... i mean i never even launched the car.. well at the track twice but kinda just pulled out. didnt dump or nothing.. (2.5 sixty was the esult ;-) ) and only bad thing i did was trying to get unstuck...

2001 COBRA