Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tranny upgrade 05 wrx wagon

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  BoostinChick 
#1 ·
Just want to know my wrx is completely stop I plan on doing stage 2 soon along with tires but it dosent stop there. I've got all winter.
So my question is how much hp or what stage will I need to upgrade to the 6 speed sti? And would it be easier to just do a complete sti swap

Thanks guys

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
Some people have great luck with the wrx 5spd and some have faliures. I wouldnt use anything but the oem clutch unless you have upgraded your gears. You want the clutch to be the weak link so that all the shock dont go directly to your gears (unless they are upgraded).Clutches are way cheaper than a trans! The oem clutch can hold stage 2 just fine.

#8 ·
Okay i'm gonna be a d**k here. Have you ever driven a 400whp car before? For that kind of power I'd highly suggest just doing a complete STi swap. Your going to spend a lot of money to get those numbers and your car will not be the best daily driver.

#9 ·
Let's be realistic. If you're being fickle about buying stage 2 mods (as you are in your other thread), an ultimate goal of 400 whp is a pipe dream. You should lower your expectations to something more realistic, like 300 whp. You're not going to have a 400 whp car if you're going to pinch pennies.

As for your 1st question, that depends on you more than anything else. There is no set answer.

#11 ·
Alright then. If you want a 400whp car you're gonna have to do a complete STi swap, trans and all. You'll have to buy the complete drive line, axles, hubs, suspension, etc. For that you're looking around $5-6000. Then you get the fun job of installing it. Then comes the fun part, your also gonna need to switch flywheels and clutch assembly, you'll need a DCCD switch or disable it. From there it's pretty straight forward, build a motor that can handle that type of power, along with the correct turbo selection, GT30ish would work, front mount intercooler and other odds and ends.

#16 ·
I was Stage 2 for about 3-years, then my trans chipped 2nd and 3rd gear. Also, this should not be a horsepower based discussion it's the torque that kills the driveline. If you are not going to do track events as a hobby, and you mainly DD, I would save up for a 6-spd. Do the research into the LGT gearing as mentioned by psinuse. I am a bit jaded by "built 5-spds" (you can read my thread), but you can't compare some RWD American muscle to an AWD flat4. The power delivery, ratio, and feel is just different.

OOoOO check this thread AND the original poster has a wagon...
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f69/chase-s-cheap-six-speed-conversion-31838/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.