Time for a new clutch - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-11-2010, 03:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

slayer is an unknown
Time for a new clutch

Hello All,

So I've read most of these posts concerning clutch's and they've echoed what I already know about clutch's in most cars. If you have a weakest link in your drivetrain the clutch is about the cheapest place for it. I'm the proud owner of an 04 STi (first AWD vehicle) and enough of a gear head to know the basics. My car is all stock except for the SPT intake and exhaust. I have no intentions of modding or increasing HP anytime soon. I do love to drive the mountain twisties (live in Denver) and with that said let me get to my questions.

Its time for a new clutch! I drive a bit hard because lets face it why else would you buy an STi? So I want a stock or stage 1 clutch or at least I think I do. Ultimately I want an upgraded clutch that's gonna suit a daily driver but be better than OEM. I will play on the local track occasionally. I don't wanna tear up the rest of the drivetrain by using too aggressive a clutch. I have no idea which brands are good or to be avoided. Can anyone provide suggestions on which clutch(s) would be best to consider or avoid. Would organic, kevlar, carbon, or whatever be best?

I've driven manual transmissions all my life and prefer them, but break-in? Whats that about? Similar to breaking a motor in? How is break-in best accomplished? I'm new to these forum's so please be kind! Thanks in advance for the advice guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2010, 03:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
All that I can say is a OEM or stage 1 would be what you want. They wouldn't stress the rest of your drivetrain and would drive like stock obviously.

Breaking the clutch in...means just taking it easy for 500 up to 1000 miles. No aggressive shits, launches, and clutch slipping.

Ok, now you double posted. Which is looked down about by the moderators. This single thread was a much better idea then awakening the dead thread.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae

Last edited by turmic; 10-11-2010 at 09:41 PM.
#3 Old 10-11-2010, 04:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

slayer is an unknown
Thanks for the reply

Ya after I realized how far into that old string my post was I decided to start fresh. Sorry for the double post. Thanks for the advice. Are there any clearly better brands? What about what the clutch is made of (organic, kevlar, carbon, whatever) is one or the other a better choice for my application?

Thanks again!
#4 Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I prefer carbonetic

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#5 Old 10-12-2010, 10:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It's all preferences. At his lower hp numbers...exedy and ACT cluctches wouldn't be a bad idea either. I run a exedy stage 1 HD clutch and it drives like stock...just a bit stiffer.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#6 Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
Would you guys recommend the same for an 03 Stage 2 5speed? just wiped out the subaru upgrade clutch (8mm organic STi clutch) and i'm not looking foward to spending another 600 from subaru.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3317140
check out my car domain here. Mod list and Pix
#7 Old 10-28-2010, 09:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Sorry to slightly highjack this thread, but I'm in the same boat. 05 stage 2 STi, not looking to do anything more or track it. I'm leaning on a stage 1 exedy. Any other thoughts?

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
#8 Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Thats more than good enough for you. Your tranny can handle a bit more, but if you dont track it or plan for more power many people run that and love it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Cool thanks for the quick post. I guess my real question is- what does the stage 1 exedy offer over OEM? Besides holding a lil bit more power, is it supposed to be more durable and last any longer? They're both relatively the same in price. I think like 350 and 450 are the cheapest I've found.

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
#10 Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

slayer is an unknown
I chose the Exedy Stage 1 Heavy Duty Clutch Kit 15803HD after all this research. I'm waiting for it to arrive. Should be installed by next Wednesday. I'll let you guys know what I think. The HD designation on this is supposed to mean a thicker friction pad for longer wear. It also seems to have 6 center springs instead of 4 and a heavier pressure plate. Someone posted a very nice video on Youtube. Looks like this is a Stage 1+ clutch. Thanks for all the posts guys. Hope its ok to say I found it for $435!
#11 Old 10-29-2010, 09:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Yea about 450 all day long on ebay for the stage 1 exedy's.
Let us know slayer. I am curious. I'll be ordering in the next couple weeks if I can nurse mine some more as it is starting to slip in fifth.

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
#12 Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

slayer is an unknown
I'll definitely post my review. See, I find that odd. Do 5th and 6th somehow not put as much pressure and or more torque on the clutch than 1st and 2nd would under hard acceleration? I ask because mine started slipping 5th and 6th like your is. So I toyed with it a bit to see where else it might slip. Nothing at all, I can launch from a stand still like its a perfect clutch. I would have thought the lower gears would be more prone to slippage. If its any reassurance mine started slipping about 6 weeks ago and its still driveable. I'm just behaving much more. :-(
#13 Old 10-30-2010, 12:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
someone please correct me if I am wrong or looking at it too simplistically, but I believe a taller gear would equate to more resistance to the torque that is being applied (hard acceleration or not)

*listening for mosc's footsteps*

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#14 Old 10-30-2010, 09:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

slayer is an unknown
Ya that makes sense now that I think about it. Just like riding a bike! Thanks for the reality check!
#15 Old 10-30-2010, 11:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Yea exactly. With a higher gear you are loading it up more than a lower gear. It happened to my old rex as well. I first noticed it one day on the highway trying to pass someone without droppin it down and rpms when up with no acceleration. I thought there was something majorly wrong at first because it was the first time I ever saw a clutch slip. It happened around 45k on the rex and now 50k on the STi. Seems to be about what they're good for.(although I got both cars with around 40k on them, so who knows about how it was driven before) But anyways, it always starts slippin in higher gears first, if it slips in 1st and 2nd, then it's really toast and soon won't be drivable. I bet I could nurse mine for another2-3months if I drove it like a granny. But, I don't think it is possible to drive an STi like a granny, even by a granny.

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi