Subaru WRX Forum banner

Symptoms of a bad center Dif?

116K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
At worke with not much time. The Wrx Im purchasing supposedly needs the center Dif replaced. Owner took it into Subaru, and after driving a tech said it was classic center Dif symptoms withvs classic cause(hooking up the right side wheels, spinning the left wheels playing). However, owner said driving it a couple weeks ago it was choppy driving while the center Dif caught/ failed, and the speedometer started going with the rpms, although the car wasn't moving that fast. Please give input.

#30 ·
Matt, that controller isn't actually necessary. By looping the wires, you get a locked 65/35 (I think thats right). I can go back later and put in a stock or pro controller. But thanks for looking out for me.

Josh, honestly I don't remember well enough since its been three or so years since I drove a five speed, and after blowing one I really babied the bug eye. I always shop around very well before pulling the trigger. I'll do the same here. If the prices of each look very comparable, not sure which way I'll go. Since the only sport that appeals to me is rally x, I like the idea of the dccd.

I've been told to get an lsd 3.90. Do any Wrx's come with open?

More than cost, Im just disappointed how long this will take. I was stoked to drive it tomorrow.

#35 ·
:nono: Subaru got cheap on the 3rd Gens and dropped the rear LSD because they added VDC (electronic stabilty control).

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX and STI

So, yes the manual 5 spd 3rd gens are:

Front diff: Open
Center: Mechanical 50/50 split
Rear: Open

And I must say that you can upgrade the guts all day long on a 5 spd and still torque flex the bell housing. Granted I loved my 5 spd when I owned my WRX. But, either you love shifting to get the most out of your car or you can drive a slushbox. Brandon has driven both and he can choose which ever path fits his budget/preference. Its just one freaking gear. If a shorter ratio was such a bad thing...then why do the older lotus elise's have a short ratio and people say they drive like a go cart on steroids. When all the car has is a Celica engine. !Laugh! The light body weight has something to do with it....but, people rave about the short ratio gets that car moving quick as greased lighting. Eh...to each his own I guess. It just gets old for me.

#33 ·
I can understand you looking around and being smart about your investments. I envy you for being in the region you are. Subarus are a dime a dozen there, so Im sure finding parts at a good price arent as challenging as being in some other areas. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get your beautiful baby up and running soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.