Symptoms of a bad center Dif? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 12-22-2011, 06:45 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Right here sir: Transfer case reseal and new bearings Just did the job this past summer. Plan on about 3-4 hours

Cullen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 12-22-2011, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
You've been more help than everyone on nasioc combined. Thanks a lot man.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#18 Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Its what makes this forum great.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#19 Old 12-23-2011, 02:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
OK, Dif was definitely bad. Talked to a tech about to large "piston rings" (as I described then) I found rolling around in there back of the tranny. Turns out they are the clips that hold the center Dif together. Good, problem found.

However, there is A LOT of metal in here. And in inspecting visually the center Dif, all splines seem intact. But I'm actually picking what look to be teeth, be it gear or spline, out of the back casing. They are very small, maybe toothpick thickness, or a little thinner. Is it possible it's bad in a spot I can't see in the Dif? Are there smaller sets of splines inside that are not visible through all the holes in the Dif? I guess Im asking if I need to keep looking for the source of the ruptured metal.

-Brandon

Last edited by Chase; 12-23-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Just found bigger pieces, much bigger
#20 Old 12-23-2011, 03:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Crap
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/z...e/IMAG0540.jpg
Some one please post that pic, phone wont do it.

-Brandon
#21 Old 12-23-2011, 04:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
there you are sir
Attached Images

#22 Old 12-23-2011, 04:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ya, this^
Thanks Matt

I'm thinking we're seeing little bits of third gear...
Ugh, time for an Sti tranny I guess.

-Brandon
#23 Old 12-23-2011, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
why not just build a 5-speed it's cheaper and easier than swapping to a 6

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#24 Old 12-23-2011, 05:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Not in my experience. I can get a six speed around two thousand, a 3.90 rear around a hundred, an auto drive shaft, Sti clutch and slave cylinder for a few hundred. I could do the six for less than three. I imagine the build would cost more.

-Brandon
#25 Old 12-23-2011, 05:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Is that for the open 3.90 or the LSD 3.90?

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#26 Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
Is that for the open 3.90 or the LSD 3.90?
Very good question. Because the STI uses a LSD rear diff and most WRXs. The base models use a open rear diff and 2008+ WRXs have a open rear diff.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae

Last edited by turmic; 12-23-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: forgot some important details that basco reminded me about
#27 Old 12-23-2011, 06:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

also don't forget about a Diff Controller to get the center diff in the 6-speed to function properly

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#28 Old 12-23-2011, 07:03 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Brandon I know that you have had both the 5spd and the 6spd, and you would give up the 5spd? Im just saying from driving both, and even having a friend that went from 5spd to 6spd, granted its stronger, I just know Im glad I stuck with a built 5spd during my journey.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#29 Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
You've been more help than everyone on nasioc combined. Thanks a lot man.
Seems like the cool ones from nasioc are on here.. nasioc IMO is used for stickies and classifieds ,etc.. Met a lot of helpful and knowledgable people on wrxtuners
#30 Old 12-23-2011, 08:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Matt, that controller isn't actually necessary. By looping the wires, you get a locked 65/35 (I think thats right). I can go back later and put in a stock or pro controller. But thanks for looking out for me.

Josh, honestly I don't remember well enough since its been three or so years since I drove a five speed, and after blowing one I really babied the bug eye. I always shop around very well before pulling the trigger. I'll do the same here. If the prices of each look very comparable, not sure which way I'll go. Since the only sport that appeals to me is rally x, I like the idea of the dccd.

I've been told to get an lsd 3.90. Do any Wrx's come with open?

More than cost, Im just disappointed how long this will take. I was stoked to drive it tomorrow.

-Brandon