Strange sound comming from the back driverside wheel - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-11-2011, 01:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
Unhappy Strange sound comming from the back driverside wheel

Hey Gents,
So I’ve been looking through the forum for any information pertaining to this and I haven’t come up with much.. so if I have over looked a post then please accept my apologies and forward the link.

So my 04' WRX has a rattling sound coming form the rear drivers wheel. The wheel bearings are fine, the wheel is tight and all suspension components seem to be tight . The rattling sound only happens under neutral load "ie if I’m maintaining a speed with a very light amount of gas pedal" or it will make a light clunk sound when i go from complete deceleration "not using breaks" to anything more than half throttle quickly…… Clunk when i hit the gas Clunk when i let go.

It also occasionally will rattle hard if i shift from any gear “usually a lower one like 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd” softly and at low rpm's..

i believe the spindle may be messed.. maybe the driver’s side drive shaft.. it’s strange..
it doesn’t affect the car while driving but its intensely annoying.

i should say that i have taken it in to a shop "all Makes" they replaced my rear struts and sent it back to me. needless to say i was pissed off. i have built a couple motorcycles and a couple cars in my day and that was one of the worse excuses for a fix i have ever encountered. Regardless shops make mistakes and i understand that but im not likely taking it back to them.. I’ll just pull it apart myself.
What’s that saying… if you want something done right you got to do it yourself..
Any insight would be awesome! I imagine a few of you guys have had this issue some please help me out!
Thanks a ton!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2011, 01:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Only thing I can think of that would "rattle" would be CV Joint, wheel bearings, or maybe a loose tie rod end? A tie-rod end would however be fairly obvious as you could move it back and forth with the car lifted off the ground. The brakes float in these cars, but usually all the sounds you get from a Subaru are more of a "clunk" sound like you hinted at a couple times. Or something painfully loose, sway-bar is more of a clunk unless it was so loose it was bouncing around.
-Carl
#3 Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
Carl,
good point... tie rod or CV does make sence. i drive the car super nice on dry roads but come winter i do a ton of mountian driving being that im here in calgary and i hit the mountians every weekend. needless to say the car spends a lot of time side ways in the snow.

any suggestions for checking the CV without disassembly? i imagine the tie rod will be easy to check!
Thanks
#4 Old 08-11-2011, 02:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Usually when they go bad, the rubber is torn or there is obvious signs of grease coming out of them. You could grab it and try to shake it just like the tie rod end as well. Or grab it and rotate it back and forth and check for play.
#5 Old 08-11-2011, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Sounds like the drive shaft.....maybe I'm just retarded, I did just wake up but the wrx doesn't have cv joints in the rear right?

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#6 Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
#7 Old 08-11-2011, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Check the emergency brake inside the rear rotor. Mine had somehow been rubbing for a while and wore down to the point where it was making a medal on medal grinding sound. Does it do it when you turn to the left? Also could be your throw out bearing....

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 08-11-2011, 06:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Shows how often I'm under my car. I knew better then to post before I'm fully awake.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#9 Old 09-13-2011, 02:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
Sooo. checked all my connections and the tie rod is good. the CV has a little play but im not %100 sure how much is ok?! any help with that? i'm pretty sure in not the emerg brake. it not a constant sound it only clunks back as i lightly accelorate and fourth when i break. defineately somthing drive terrein related. whats the throw out bearing? im not familar?

Thanks a Ton for the imput tho guys! keep it comming!

i figured there would be more people with the exact same problem mostly because i baby the shit out of the car. The only hard acceleration i do is roll on. i've friggen never droped the clutch on this thing ever! uugh so much for that!
#10 Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Transmission mount maybe?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...