STi short shifter vs Kartboy - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VanillaJuice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to VanillaJuice
STi short shifter vs Kartboy

i was lookin at getting a short throw shifter for my 04 wrx. the shifts arent really that long as is...but i see kartboy has just a new shifter lever...and subaru offers a whole assembly. andthe kartboy is considerably cheaper....says reduces shifts by 40%..anyone know the advantage of goin with the STi assembly vs the Kartboy? thanks!

Opensource tune by CAMTuning.com
Parts from Jeremy at Crucial Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

zacwrx07 is an unknown
I really don't know anything about the STi short shifter but I did install the Kartboy as soon as I bought my wrx. I love it. It really reduces the distance and it was easy to install. Like I said I don't know anything about the STi but I do know the Kartboy is nice.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
i think buying a "shorter" short shifter is absolutley stupid... and pointless but an cobb "short throw" shifter which actually shortens the the throw which is less movement in the shifter... just read it you'll love it over an kartyboy.. here http://cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2342
Attached Images

post #4 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

that looks just like a fancy version of kartboy...just looks like u can make the shifter shorter or longer....its still just a "shorter" version of the stock one from what i see

post #5 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 03:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
The factory short shifter is a whole shift linkage setup. That is why it is so expensive. The Kartboy shifter is nice.
There are a bunch of options out there. Personally I would go with either the IxizConcept's version 2 or the Go Fast Bits Short shifter.

http://www.ixizconcept.com/
http://www.gofastbits.com.au/index.p...tion=wrx%20ssk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PVMNT View Post
i think buying a "shorter" short shifter is absolutley stupid... and pointless but an cobb "short throw" shifter which actually shortens the the throw which is less movement in the shifter... just read it you'll love it over an kartyboy.. here http://cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2342
All of the short shifters reduce the throw. I can't think of any that are only shorter. Some just have varying heights.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

well people say they like kartboy..and its cheap....all these i have seen say a reduction in throw by 40% from JUST the shifter lever......so i think ill just go kartboy

post #7 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 04:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
dude you don't get it... the levers kjott pointed out to you let you CHOOSE how short the throw AND height. the cobb and ixiz are superior in design than the kartboy. take it from me. I have had the sti, kartboy, and cobb short throw shifters, and the cobb is BY FAR my favorite. ixiz's is pretty much the same, but cheaper, and he has a good rep.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

no i get it...they all say a 40% reduction in throw travel...that is what i was looking to find out..i dont care how high or low the shifter itself sits...i just wanted to know which would give the best reduction in shift travel...and they all say the same

post #9 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaJuice View Post
i just wanted to know which would give the best reduction in shift travel
this is why I said you don't get it. because the cobb and ixiz shifters are adjustable, you can make the throw way, way, WAY shorter than the kartboy (if you want).
post #10 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 04:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaJuice View Post
no i get it...they all say a 40% reduction in throw travel...that is what i was looking to find out..i dont care how high or low the shifter itself sits...i just wanted to know which would give the best reduction in shift travel...and they all say the same
Using them at the maximum reduction is a little different than you might think. When the throw is that short it also makes it physically harder to shift due to the different pivot point. It also is harder to feel when you get into gear. I don't personally care which one you get I am just trying to give you all the information so that you don't buy something just to find out that you don't like it. If you get one that is adjustable at least you can change it if you want.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

well im reading their sites...they each say adjustable UP TO 40% in reduction...and kartboy just say reduction of 40%...so...thats the same MAXIMUM reduction in travel...correct? thanks for all the info! very helpful...but i think itd be pointless NOT to use it at maximum reduction....

post #12 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
moral of the story...... an adjustable short shifter is the way to go..
1. adjustable knob hieght
2. adjustable throw
3. awsome
post #13 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 06:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
VanillaJuice, I was in the same boat you're in (trying to decide between the Cobb adjustable and Kartboy short throw shifters) and I ended up going with Kartboy because 1) it was less expensive, 2) the Cobb adjustable shift lever has those tiny little allen wrench screws that always seem to come loose (I don't trust the screws because I had a shift knob on my old Eclipse that was held in place by very similar screws and it kept coming loose all the time) and the shifter will obviously take a lot of abuse so I have more confidence in a solid one-piece lever, and 3) for me, this was a once-and-done upgrade and I wasn't planning on adjusting it often - or ever, for that matter. Just something to think about...

+1 for Kartboy
post #14 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
VanillaJuice, I was in the same boat you're in (trying to decide between the Cobb adjustable and Kartboy short throw shifters) and I ended up going with Kartboy because 1) it was less expensive, 2) the Cobb adjustable shift lever has those tiny little allen wrench screws that always seem to come loose (I don't trust the screws because I had a shift knob on my old Eclipse that was held in place by very similar screws and it kept coming loose all the time) and the shifter will obviously take a lot of abuse so I have more confidence in a solid one-piece lever, and 3) for me, this was a once-and-done upgrade and I wasn't planning on adjusting it often - or ever, for that matter. Just something to think about...

+1 for Kartboy
THREAD LOCK my friend.. thread lock !!!!

+ 1 FOR ME HURRAY !!!
Attached Images

post #15 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 06:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
3) for me, this was a once-and-done upgrade and I wasn't planning on adjusting it often - or ever, for that matter. Just something to think about...

+1 for Kartboy
Thats why I got a KB, don't feel I'll ever need to adjust it, and its 30 bucks cheaper.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement