Subaru WRX Forum banner

speedometer drive ? HELP

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  baller_v24 
#1 ·
Allright, I know it's not a rex, but if any experts can help.... . . . .

I have a non functioning speedometer in my '93 L ('95 AWD 5spd drivetrain) I have a new cable (two piece)

The slotted shaft that the cable fits into on the tranny doesn't turn, but whatever part of the drive gear it's sticking out of does (tested with car on stands, in gear, stubby screwdriver inserted in hole) What am I missing ?

Obviously, it's very difficult to see down in there, and the shop manual I have doesn't cover the speedometer drive at all. Is there a snap ring or something that secures that post maybe ? Anybody know ?

Thanks in advance for the assistance

#3 ·
I'm guessing that's a little beyond our pool of knowledge... did you try going to a Subaru dealership and chatting with one of the mechanics? Maybe you'll find a friendly one who can help you out. Be sure to post up when you find the answer in case any one else experiences this issue too.

I'm also guessing that it's one of those things that's going to be an "aha" moment and you'll probably kick yourself for not figuring it out in the first place, but I really have no idea... just trying to send you some good vibes :) Good luck.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I've got all those things covered. It's connected at the gauge fine as tested with a dremel attached to the cable. Something is turning where the cable attaches to the tranny, just not the post that the cable slots into. Since none of the local subie mechanics have a clue, and no dealers around, I'm going to call Super Rupair, up in Colo. They've been helpful in he past.

#7 ·
I got the answer I was afraid of. The drive gear for the speedometer is plastic, and since the post that turns the cable doesn't actually turn, the drive gear is a goner. This is on the car that I did the drive train swap to, and am selling. The new owner will have to decide how bad they want a speedometer, since it requires either opening the transmission case to get at it, or swapping in different used tranny. Here's the thread on that car: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f69/drivetrain-swap-fun-26149/
Anybody need a winter beater ? I'm asking $1900

In case you notice that I mentioned the speedo working at one point in that thread, I swapped out the first tranny because of a viscous coupler issue. at least the second one I installed was free !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.