Short Throw Shifter - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-16-2004, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Short Throw Shifter

I have an 04 WRX and I have the factory short throw shifter option already. I was wondering woudl it make sense to buy the Perrin short throw adjustable shifter and replace the factory one??? I want shorter throws and the shifter is a bit notchy. Would the Perrin short throw help the notchiness? If not would a tranny mount help it?>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-16-2004, 06:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
If I'm not mistaken the Subaru short throw replaces all the linkage and the shifter. I don't think the Perrin would work on it and it wouldn't improve the feel if it did work.

The Perrin short throw does not replace the shifter itself it just moves the pivot point. That is what makes it smoother than others because the stock shifter has the rubber "bushing" in the shaft.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-17-2004, 12:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
You aren't replacing the shifter with the Perrin one. And if you already have a short shifter, why would you want to get another one? The STi option is pretty good.

Che
post #4 of 18 Old 07-17-2004, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I am just trying to get a better feel during shifts. Will a tranny mount help the notchiness?
post #5 of 18 Old 07-18-2004, 05:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

trenton is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to trenton
I really love my Perrin short throw mechanism. As for in conjuntion with the STI short shifter, pop the plastic around it. If you can turn the shifter around 180 degrees after taking off the linkage, you can most likely put the Perrin part on. Give Perrin a call or something. Everyone drools when they see how short I have to shift for just $80. I can't advocate the Perrin part enough, it's just really really cool. I hope this helps.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-18-2004, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks but any input on the tranny mount?! Come on guys...
post #7 of 18 Old 08-02-2004, 02:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

Imprt4life is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Imprt4life
Go with the kartboy shifter and bushings. I did and I definately dont regret it. Its awesome. 123 bux for bushings, shifter and shipping from kartboy.com. Cant go wrong. Im going with the STI tranny mount soon IBAUCLAPla just to finish it all off. I've read other WRX owners putting them in and making a huge difference, so its on the top of my mod list (sti motor mounts too just ### I'm in hot pursuit of an STI in my town)
post #8 of 18 Old 08-02-2004, 01:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

I wrote a little note about the STi tranny mount previously. Search for it. I think it greatly helped reduce the slop. Good mod IMO
post #9 of 18 Old 08-02-2004, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Imprt4life is an unknown
Yeah I just read that thread jwtarbaj. I definately think the STI tranny mount will reinforce things. But I never thought about the rear diff mount bushings. Did you say you have these on? Whats your take on these? I really can't afford crazy tuning parts but I like doing the cheaper mods right now that can make some sort of difference and better performance (noticeably). I'm kinda tapped out from buying my rex in the first place so I gotta wait a little bit before I really go to town on the motor.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-02-2004, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Imprt4life is an unknown
I also heard of the STI rod, pitching stopper and transvers link bushings as being a good mod on top of the motor and tranny mounts. Being that you have a high end scoobie. I dont but I'd rather tune these parts now reinforcing things and getting ready to tune the motor.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-03-2004, 12:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprt4life
Yeah I just read that thread jwtarbaj. I definately think the STI tranny mount will reinforce things. But I never thought about the rear diff mount bushings. Did you say you have these on? Whats your take on these? I really can't afford crazy tuning parts but I like doing the cheaper mods right now that can make some sort of difference and better performance (noticeably). I'm kinda tapped out from buying my rex in the first place so I gotta wait a little bit before I really go to town on the motor.
I have the Whiteline rear diff bushings also. They don't replace but supplement the existing bushings. They are affordable and I agree they do help. If you accelerate hard and shift quickly you get a clunk. With these two mods that clunk is eliminated.

I haven't gone for the STi Engine Mounts yet because the install looks to be more dificult. They are next on my list.

I have heard mixed feelings on the STi pitch mount. Who has this that can comment?
post #12 of 18 Old 08-03-2004, 01:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Imprt4life is an unknown
I definately doing the rear diff. mount bushing and sti tranny mount mod. Gonna wait on feedback on the pitch mount and motor mounts to see if its really worth it.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-04-2004, 12:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Solice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Solice Send a message via Yahoo to Solice
I always wondered what that "Clunk" sound was, especially when shifting quickly into 2nd. About how much $$$ for those 2 mods to get rid of that? (I hate when I hear it so I would love to get rid of it)

Solice
post #14 of 18 Old 08-04-2004, 12:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

I bought from here --> http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/products.html

$60 for the tranny mount

$30 for the Diff Bushings

plus shippping of course.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-04-2004, 11:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

Imprt4life is an unknown
Nice, they got some good stuff here. Good prices too. A tranny mount and rear diff bushing is in order.