yo everyone my friend owns a 02 wrx and i was tryin to install the b&m short throw on his car....was doin pretty good until i got to the o ring.....got the tool for it....bam problem...how the fock do u get to the damn thing with the driveshaft in the way?...i didnt remove the heatshield bc i was lazy but i still dont see how i could get in there wit the tool....especially im thinkin later on how im supposed to put the damn thing back together....any help would be great....btw for people who have done this, is this the hardest part?? what other problems might lie down the road in the future?
What are you talking about?
1. Please using punctuation to make it easier on everyone.
2. Changing the short shifter consists of using a 14mm wrench to remove the bolts.
3. Take out the screw.
4. Bend shifter all the way back in one direction and give it a nudge with a mallot and it will come out.
5. Take out the things in the old shifter and put them in the new one.
6. Apply some white grease to the shifter at the bottom and the socket where it get seated.
7. Align it.
8. Hit it down with something that has momentum.
9. Tighten it up.
10. You're done.
I had a simular problem with that o-ring it was a ##### to get to, you might want to try useing a screw driver to remove it with the o-ring tool. You might have to heat up the o-ring tool and bend it to fit easier and have someone sit inside the car and push down on the shifter or the shifter will keep moving on you. Every thing else was pretty easy but the p-ring is a pain in the ass to get back on. I think the heat sheild is to another model car. good luck
yea its the o-ring....anyways i wanted to update u guys on my boys rix....ok so instead of going underneath the car we got pissed....pulled the shifter out in like two tries (actually my boy did i was a t work..boo)
he said he was about to put the new one in but it would go..lubed and everything...he goes and buys a rubber mallet...doesnt do the trick....couple hours go by.....friends dad gets a block of wood and a hammer....smacks the shat out of it until it finally goes in....
long story short i drove it today and what a difference...awesome but def a pain in the ass he saved himself a couple bucks on the labor tho which is cool