running gear rear eng - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-29-2008, 07:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

dmcspyder81 is an unknown
running gear rear eng

Is it hard to flip the running gear, to put the wrx motor in rear of the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2008, 10:07 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
HA HA HA. this is the best question yet. almost as good as , "can I turn my wrx in to a RWD drift car."

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#3 Old 01-29-2008, 10:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

I guess it can not be done, then
#4 Old 01-29-2008, 10:37 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
oh, any thing can be done. it would take so much work that it would not even be worth it.
Is there a particular reason as to why you would want to do that?

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

#5 Old 01-29-2008, 10:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
An MR Wrx? Can there be an MAWD????? hmmmmmmmm yeah I agree just not worth all the money time and labor.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#6 Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

I was going to do a engine swap, the the was rear enging car. I looked at closer I thinking you maybe able to put the enging in the front it would a close fit, but cheaper
#7 Old 01-29-2008, 11:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

I'm having a difficult time making that out, but if you want a whole new engine and one in the rear why not just get an MR?

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#8 Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

I would l;ike to use the wrx
#9 Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Unless you have a lot of money to spend it's really not worth either moving the engine to the back, or paddle shifters. Like said above anything CAN be done, you just need to be somewhat logical.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#10 Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

MilesFox is an unknown
i have read about such a thing and it is somewhat possible . you would have to flip the diff around inside the transmission and machine away at its casing to make clear. and you would have to find some way to lock up the center diff by either installing a locking diff or welding up an open diff for rwd, or flip the rear diff over and put in the front for awd

and yes you can make a RWD soob by locking the center diff and removing the front axles. or with older models just put in 4wd and remove the front axle shaft.

now with the rear engine thing, the width of the rear diff is the same as the transmission at the front diff, so if you managed to mount it all rear enginelike, the trans will still fit between the rear axles, and the rear diff will fit betweent he front axles

and it may not be worth "money and labor" for someone to try to build this for you.

but this is the kind of thing its worth trying to do if you have some tools, some mechanical aptitude, and willingness to learn. it is possible, its just the kind of thing you have to invent rather than buy off the shelf

if you think its easier to "go get an MR" then this kind of thing is not for you. otherwise if you study the subaru platform you can see where i am coming from
#11 Old 01-29-2008, 02:58 PM
WRXpert

wait, Your trying to put a wrx motor in a different model car or are you talking about mounting the wrx motor reverse in the trunk?

I'm confused

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

#12 Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

I think whats he's going for is a wrx body with a completly revamped engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc. So it will look like a rex but really wont have many characteristics of one. That's how I interpret it. An MR with a wrx body?

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#13 Old 01-29-2008, 06:35 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Wow, thats some crazy thinking. But I think like said above, a WRX with an MR soul. Would be kind of interesting to see.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
### rear engine cars are teh secks!!

well, no not really. i think porsches are crap almost entirely because. you can tune a suspension to give you the grip a rear engine 'supposable' provides. but honestly it just creates a small spectrum of slid'ability. it goes from full grip to no grip really fast.

but if your dead set on putting ponies in the ass end of this thing why stop there? Who couldent get down with a WRX Double-Boxter a la the Cady Twinstar?
Mosler Engineering's Twinstar V16 Cadillac Eldorado -
Popular Mechanics

2000 Mosler/Cadillac TwinStar Eldorado
see, thats hawt
#15 Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

HAHAHA Thanks for that nuggets. MR cars definitely don't suck...One day I will own an NSX. That car IMO is Japans finest cornering machine, not the rx-7. The balance is superb but can be disasterous as it is far less forgiving pushing hard into corners. It's fun to watch the drift bible and see the difference in how each different type of car handles once traction is completely broken. Eh I'm rambling now, anyways the nsx is the shit, porsches suck.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned