Subaru WRX Forum banner

Reverse grind- 2011 WRX

8K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  arewmors 
#1 ·
I'm having the problem of not being able to catch reverse from time to time. Than when I do, it grinds in. This is a bit upsetting and I was wondering if a good gear oil swap might be just what the doctor ordered.

Anybody else have this issue?
Anybody know of maybe a definite cause?

I typically only drive stick, so it's not me. My other two WRXs would do this once in a blue moon, but nothing to this extreme.

Thanks guys!!!

#2 ·
I've googled it and read threads about this on all types of forums. Mine does it all the time too! Drives me nuts. I've read of people swapping fluid but had no success in making reverse catch better.

I simply put it in first and just barely let off the clutch (just to make the car move an inch or so) then go to reverse and it catches no problem. Def a ridiculous thing to have to do though....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
Mine does it if I'm going forward barely at a real slow roll and I try and go in reverse it grinds. Which makes sense I guess. So I always make sure I'm completely stopped. That's the only time I've experienced grinding

#7 ·
Mine will grind or just not go in at all 90% of the time I go to back out of my driveway. I pretty much always have to go forward a bit. I've read multiple threads on other WRX forums and really found nothing but little shift techniques like I do to make it easier. Nothing really that "fixes" the problem. Not gonna bother wasting my breathe at the dealership on this topic lol...so I just try to brush it off as one of the many cons of the WRX vs STI

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 ·
I'm finally rubbing off on Brandon ;)

Reverse doesn't have a syncro and it's straight cut. Double clutching it is not uncommon. That's depressing the clutch, putting the car in a gear , putting it back in neutral, releasing the clutch, depressing the clutch, putting it into reverse, then releasing the clutch to get going (well, backwards). You guys are spoiled. I drove a VW beetle for a while that I had to double clutch all but third gear. Don't buy Volkswagens...

#12 ·
Sometimes my car won't go into reverse after it's been parked for a while. I have a feeling it's because the reverse gears are lined up perfectly tooth-to-tooth. If I put my car in neutral, leave my foot off the clutch, blip the gas, let the engine almost return to idle, press the clutch pedal, and try to move the shifter back into reverse, it will usually slide right in. It has pretty much done that since day one, so I assumed it was normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.