Replacement: Stock Tranny = Stock Clutch? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Replacement: Stock Tranny = Stock Clutch?

Why? I don't fully understand why if you need to get your clutch replaced, you should get a stock one providing that your transmission is still stock. I have an 06 stage2 WRX which should be making about 224whp and 275tq (COBB). I eventually want to boost up to 300whp. I explained all this to my garage and they recommended an ACT heavy duty plate with modified street disc as a more reliable alternative to stock. Moreover, it will cost the same amount to have them redo my clutch with an ACT as it would to have a dealer put another stock one in. Why would an aftermarket ACT clutch be so bad for my tranny?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Because your tranny isn't strong enough for it. You add power and want a stronger clutch, you're assuming the clutch is the weak point. It's not. It's the tranny. Putting on a stronger clutch just increases the risk of transmission failure. A clutch properly spec'd for it's capabilities (like the stock one) is designed to break before the tranny does. You already wore out one clutch and your transmission is still fine. The clutch did it's job very well I'd say.

Why exactly do you think you need a beefy clutch? 300whp on a stock clutch is not unthinkable. Lots of people run that setup. It should keep you from dumping too much power and snapping your tranny. 300whp is really well more than the stock 5-speed can deal with.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 08-06-2009, 02:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Ok, but I've heard ACT clutches are much more dependable, and durable when beating on them. Why do I want to get a less reliable, weaker clutch for the same amount of money? The Subaru dealer quoted me a new stock clutch for $600. Are there any third party brands that are very reputable for replacements for Stock clutches? The only one I've come across so far is that makes a stock replacement for cheaper is Exedy for about $300. Is there any added benefit to purchasing an OEM Subaru clutch over a third party for an extra 300 bucks?
#4 Old 08-06-2009, 02:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Also, could you maybe post some links to threads people have put up, or instances you know about where people have wrecked their tranny as a result of a modified clutch and not just overly abusive driving habits?
#5 Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

04blusrt_4 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Because your tranny isn't strong enough for it. You add power and want a stronger clutch, you're assuming the clutch is the weak point. It's not. It's the tranny. Putting on a stronger clutch just increases the risk of transmission failure. A clutch properly spec'd for it's capabilities (like the stock one) is designed to break before the tranny does. You already wore out one clutch and your transmission is still fine. The clutch did it's job very well I'd say.

Why exactly do you think you need a beefy clutch? 300whp on a stock clutch is not unthinkable. Lots of people run that setup. It should keep you from dumping too much power and snapping your tranny. 300whp is really well more than the stock 5-speed can deal with.
Heres the choice he faces...Cobb S2 with about 230whp and a stock clutch or Cobb S2 and a ACT street disc.

Clearly you have never used /rode / installed / or have any history on a subie with an ACT street disc. The pressure plate is around 2700lbs versus the 2,000lb stocker. Were not swingin a twin disc 3k+lb pressure plate. A full face clutch ensures a smoother engagement regardless of pressure plate, it has a sprung hub (again even further reducing the driveline shock), and is rated 32% above stock. So 30% over stockish 180whp hardly means the ACT street disc will hold anymore than 300whp.

To be fair, clutches aren't rated to whp, theyre rated by torque. What is the stock clutch hold torque wise? Tranny wise?

Yes, no arguments you side step the clutch at 4.5k rpms with a upgraded pressure plate youre gonna run a higher risk to breaking something, but a blanket statement that any upgraded clutch on an OEM tranny is a bad idea is false.

As SOV asked, Id love to see the countless failure threads from people with upgraded clutches, the 04+gear set has been has been in use for 5 years now, I would hope to see at least 10 or more threads about at least a broken input shaft, broken axle, or something along those lines. I spend about 20min couldn't find one
#6 Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Exedy makes an OEM replacement for your WRX that can be had on ebay for about $150. Get it ordered and it will be there in days. As someone who HAS destroyed a transmission just using a stock clutch, I have to agree with the general school of thought on this site, stock tranny? STOCK CLUTCH!

One of the other regulars (sorry man, don't remember who) just had his tranny crap the bed too. If it can happen with a stock clutch so easily, and it can, why would you want to risk upping the abuse it will take and costing yourself around 3grand if it does instead of replacing the stock clutch again in another 50 or 60k miles?

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#7 Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

04blusrt_4 is an unknown
I am just trying to get a point across. The stock clutch starts to slip IN GEAR once you cross the 300wtq mark. So even if someone doesnt WOT shift and doesn't drop the clutch for some heavy launches, youre recommendation to stick with a stock clutch means he will be losing power and slipping his clutch if he goes stock.

My advice is learn how to drive, don't abuse the tranny, but get an upgraded clutch so once youre in gear you don't cook your clutch by having one that slips.

Chase youre a perfect example, you blew your tranny dropping the clutch. DONT DO THAT!! But I would never tell you not to get an upgraded clutch just because you managed to granage your tranny by side stepping the clutch.
#8 Old 08-07-2009, 08:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blusrt_4 View Post
My advice is learn how to drive, don't abuse the tranny, but get an upgraded clutch so once youre in gear you don't cook your clutch by having one that slips.

Chase youre a perfect example, you blew your tranny dropping the clutch. DONT DO THAT!! But I would never tell you not to get an upgraded clutch just because you managed to granage your tranny by side stepping the clutch.
This is good advice. Feel free to upgrade your clutch if you know how to drive and take care of your car. If you don't know how to drive then stay with the stocker. If you think you know how to drive but don't we'll wait for a similar post about which tranny/gearset is the best replacement.
#9 Old 08-07-2009, 11:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

WLKONH20 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.V View Post
Ok, but I've heard ACT clutches are much more dependable, and durable when beating on them. Why do I want to get a less reliable, weaker clutch for the same amount of money? The Subaru dealer quoted me a new stock clutch for $600. Are there any third party brands that are very reputable for replacements for Stock clutches? The only one I've come across so far is that makes a stock replacement for cheaper is Exedy for about $300. Is there any added benefit to purchasing an OEM Subaru clutch over a third party for an extra 300 bucks?
new stock cluctch $600? they're really trying to take your money, i got a quote from my subaru dealer on getting my 07 clutch(same as yours) replaced and parts came out to $457.19 for the entire clutch, gasket, gasket muffler etc.. labor, on the other hand was $504(ouch, maybe i'll learn to do it my self)

If you go OEM the disk itself is warrantied for 3 months and the clutch assembly is warrantied for 12 months.

I've had a hard time finding a clutch for the 06/07, Subaru doesn't even have SPT clutches for our model years so it makes me think i really should stay stock.
#10 Old 08-07-2009, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

WLKONH20 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisiX View Post
This is good advice. ..... If you think you know how to drive but don't we'll wait for a similar post about which tranny/gearset is the best replacement.
hahaha R.O.F.L!!
#11 Old 08-07-2009, 12:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLKONH20 View Post
new stock cluctch $600? they're really trying to take your money, i got a quote from my subaru dealer on getting my 07 clutch(same as yours) replaced and parts came out to $457.19 for the entire clutch, gasket, gasket muffler etc.. labor, on the other hand was $504(ouch, maybe i'll learn to do it my self)

If you go OEM the disk itself is warrantied for 3 months and the clutch assembly is warrantied for 12 months.

I've had a hard time finding a clutch for the 06/07, Subaru doesn't even have SPT clutches for our model years so it makes me think i really should stay stock.
Yeah, but what exactly is the difference between a "stock" subaru clutch that a dealer installs and something like the Exedy thirdparty stock replacement? I'm just trying to justify why Subaru's "stock" clutch, even at $457.19 is still about 250 dollar MORE expensive than the Exedy. If I'm going to stay with a stock clutch, which is fine, what is the benefit of paying more money to get Subaru's "stock" clutch over Exedy? Are Exedy's largely unreliable or have people had good experience with them? Also are there any other third party companies that manufacture stock clutch replacements other than Exedy?
#12 Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Yeah, but what exactly is the difference between a "stock" subaru clutch that a dealer installs and something like the Exedy thirdparty stock replacement? I'm just trying to justify why Subaru's "stock" clutch, even at $457.19 is still about 250 dollar MORE expensive than the Exedy. If I'm going to stay with a stock clutch, which is fine, what is the benefit of paying more money to get Subaru's "stock" clutch over Exedy? Are Exedy's largely unreliable or have people had good experience with them? Also are there any other third party companies that manufacture stock clutch replacements other than Exedy?
Exedy makes the OEM clutch for your car. There is nothing unreliable about them.

EVERYTHING costs more when you buy it from the dealer. You can buy the same thing on Ebay:
EXEDY OEM CLUTCH KIT 06-07 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX TURBO 5SP:eBay Motors (item 350109801329 end time Aug-09-09 16:09:15 PDT)

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#13 Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

WLKONH20 is an unknown
True still a bit high. I don't know about Exedy on a Subaru, but I had good experiences with them on my two Integras (RIP). Subaru's is high I'm sure just because they have to pay for space to hold the parts and they aren't turning a profit as well as a company like Exedy who does it non stop. but who knows? i think I'm going to go stock for now so if i blow my transmission in the next 50k miles it wont be denied warranty service because I'm using an aftermarket clutch. I am kinda hard on my vehicles, i just dont know how to baby them when they are so much fun to drive!

as far as manufacturers with stock clutch replacements.. Nippon and Exedy(Daikin) are the only two i know of
#14 Old 08-07-2009, 12:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
Exedy makes the OEM clutch for your car. There is nothing unreliable about them.

EVERYTHING costs more when you buy it from the dealer. You can buy the same thing on Ebay:
EXEDY OEM CLUTCH KIT 06-07 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX TURBO 5SP:eBay Motors (item 350109801329 end time Aug-09-09 16:09:15 PDT)
So you're saying that if I go to my Subaru dealer to get a new "Subaru" stock clutch put in, he is going to put in Exedy? Meaning they don't use the exact same clutch that comes from the initial factory that assembled the car as a replacement?
#15 Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
So you're saying that if I go to my Subaru dealer to get a new "Subaru" stock clutch put in, he is going to put in Exedy? Meaning they don't use the exact same clutch that comes from the initial factory that assembled the car as a replacement?
I am saying that the OEM clutch that is in your car was manufactured by Exedy. They will use the exact same clutch that comes from the inital factory that assemled the car as a replacement. Subaru buys their clutch from Exedy. If you buy an OEM replacement Exedy clutch like the one I linked it will be exactly the same as the one you would get from a Subaru dealer.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.