Subaru WRX Forum banner

Removing a trans. 2002 WRX Impreza wagon

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
I need a little help here. I searched for the subject but came up empty. New to the game here. I'm a Dodge Hemi guy but my sons' WRX has trans issues. We just had the trans replaced and I think the one we put in is bad. It was installed, driven for a few days and had to tow it home. Symptoms: Neutral, tires turn. In gear, tires do not turn. Seems normal. Start car up, put in gear and as the clutch is released, car stalls. Almost like the e brake is on. Even when rpms are increased, nothing. Did get it to go but heard massive grinding. (car is up on stands). Any ideas? Thanks.

G

p.s. Is there anything in the knowledgebase that can help me with the trans removal?

#8 ·
I am assuming it was as the car was driven issue free for around 10 days. If low, is it just brake fluid? Please bare with me as I said, I am a Hemi guy so this is all new to me.

Like ps said, I would run through and check the easy stuff on the clutch first.... Bleed it, make sure the pedal is adjusted properly. How far off the floor does it engage?

If that checks out then maybe you did get a junk trans. Does the car shift when off? Run it through all the gears using the clutch while it's off, then you should be able to run through all the gears again without using the clutch since all the gears will have sync'd up with the input shaft. If it doesn't do that then something may be wrong.

Obvious question but worth asking, did you make sure to put fluid back in it after install?
I'll go check the shifting situation rcrs and see what I find.

#7 ·
Like ps said, I would run through and check the easy stuff on the clutch first.... Bleed it, make sure the pedal is adjusted properly. How far off the floor does it engage?

If that checks out then maybe you did get a junk trans. Does the car shift when off? Run it through all the gears using the clutch while it's off, then you should be able to run through all the gears again without using the clutch since all the gears will have sync'd up with the input shaft. If it doesn't do that then something may be wrong.

Obvious question but worth asking, did you make sure to put fluid back in it after install?

#9 ·
This might shed a little light on the issue. Just went out and ran it through what rcrs mentioned. Seems like it goes into every gear ok with the exception of 4th. Seems a little different. Anyway, I started the car and tried it. Stalls it out right of the floor. If I put the car in neutral and release the clutch, you can hear what I assuming is the throwout bearing grinding. Thoughts?

G

#12 ·
I'm leaning towards a bad gear in the trans. Have you tried starting it out in other gears besides first?

Btw, do you know the circumstances leading up to the latest failure to put it in it's current state? Flogging it or just cruising? 02-06 WRX's have pretty weak transmissions (as you know now).

#13 ·
I'm leaning towards a bad gear in the trans. Have you tried starting it out in other gears besides first?

Btw, do you know the circumstances leading up to the latest failure to put it in it's current state? Flogging it or just cruising? 02-06 WRX's have pretty weak transmissions (as you know now).
Not true, I beat on mine hard for years before having any issues.

#14 ·
Unless you have a stupid amount of power, shifting smoothly is the key. If you bang the gears on any car, bad things will happen. Make sure you're completely in gear and the clutch is fully disengaged before you stomp the gas. Failure to take that extra moment could cost you several thousand dollars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.