Redline Shockproof green goo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-21-2007, 03:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
Redline Shockproof green goo

Here's a couple of pics that show the green goo that we encountered when we cracked an 02 WRX trans to put in stronger gears. The photo with the parts on the red cloth shows the stuff on the large, horseshoe-shaped spacer, and a little still on the input shaft (the bottom shaft is the new shaft). This photo was taken AFTER the parts had been in an industrial parts washer for 15-30 minutes.

You can't see it very well in the other photo, but the shaft is completely plugged with the stuff.

I guess this is why Redline no longer recommends the Shockproof for Subaru transmissions.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2007, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
that is pretty ... yuck
#3 Old 11-21-2007, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
good thing i didn't that stuff in my tranny, everyone kept saying it's the best and it works so good, ill just stick to the regular stuff. thanks for the info 2cobras

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#4 Old 11-21-2007, 10:20 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Damn... That shits comming out of my trans on friday!

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#5 Old 11-21-2007, 11:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
Nagyhead,

The good news is that all parts cleaned up good as new--with the exception of the bearings on the output shaft (about $40 for both bearings--tapered ball bearings).
We think those bearings were compromised by their inability to receive oil, thanks to the green goo clogging up everything.

The bad news is that you are looking at parts that still had goo on them, even though the transmission fluid had been changed more than 20,000 miles before these pictures were taken. In short, even though you might change the fluid, if the goo is there, it's going to stay there until you crack the trans and clean everything up.

The gunk was at its heaviest at the rear of the trans, but was also thick on the front differential.

Best guess is that problems will manifest themselves first in the output shaft bearings (disconcerting noises and vibration). You'll have a chance to clean everything when you crack the trans to take care of those bearings. On the other hand . . .
#6 Old 11-22-2007, 10:27 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
great... I wish i would have just put the stock fluid back in. there are ALOT of people that have this shit in there car.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

#7 Old 11-22-2007, 04:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boostbuddy is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Boostbuddy Send a message via Yahoo to Boostbuddy
We use the Light Wieght shock proof in our Dog Box and RA Gears (the blue stuff)...but we change it out about every 5K....haven't had any build up problems yet 'knock on wood'

but for a stock tranny 'normal' gear fluid is good to go
#8 Old 11-23-2007, 10:23 AM
WRXpert

how long do you think the redline was in there? Did you put it in?

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

#9 Old 11-26-2007, 12:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
Nagyhead,

No way to tell how long it was in there. Best guess is about 25-35K. I bought the car at 15K miles. The guy I bought it from was beyond careful, way beyond. I changed the fluid out at 43-50K. Pulled the trans at exactly 70K.

I think in the early days (02-04), the lightweight shockproof was recommended because that's what guys who raced were using. No one mentioned the fact that most of those guys change their fluids nearly every time they race.

Also, there's a possibility that cold weather might be a factor. But since a whole lot of WRX owners live where it is cold . . .
#10 Old 11-26-2007, 09:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Question for Cobras, is that just the shockproof stuff, or should I worry about that fact that I just changed mine to 75W90ns (4qts) ### Im at 26k and I figured I'd do it a bit early? Thanks.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#11 Old 12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
I think it's a problem with just the shockproof stuff. Myself, I'm sticking with a stock synthetic.